12000 service Frasers Sydney - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOz View Post
Kitesurfer,
Did they do your ECU update at the City shop???
No Tim, I was in the "outer east" shop to have my electric fuel cap fitted after it finally arrived and they just told me there were 4 updates waiting for me! Unfortunately, one of the latest updates happened to prevent their computer console from being able to enter the screen where you enable the cap, so it's still not fitted. Ducati is looking at this "bug" now.

Apart from that, I had my rear brake bled, clutch fluid replaced, and chain cleaned and adjusted (as well as the updates of course). Very happy indeed, and will be even happier once the warped rotors are replaced and the fuel cap fitted... to be continued!

2010 Multistrada 1200SS White
2009 Suzuki GSX-R750 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Thanks Kitesurfer,
I'll give them a call and try to get the full update.

TimOz

2010 MTS1200S Sport Black
Standard exhaust
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 6:47 am

Kitesurfer I hope this isn't a future trend as my discs and pads were replaced yesterday due to them being warped! The damage one of the "speed nuts" in the change over so have to wait for a replacement from Italy!! Not real impressed by that! At the same time had an engine error "Error DES Preload" which they say has been fixed by a new DES ECU update. We'll see as I have yet to pick the bike up and check it out!

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flog View Post
Kitesurfer I hope this isn't a future trend as my discs and pads were replaced yesterday due to them being warped! The damage one of the "speed nuts" in the change over so have to wait for a replacement from Italy!! Not real impressed by that! At the same time had an engine error "Error DES Preload" which they say has been fixed by a new DES ECU update. We'll see as I have yet to pick the bike up and check it out!
Apparently it's not limited to the MTS1200. There seems to be a random spread of warped rotors across bikes. I am assured that once they are replaced, the problem won't re-occur (it hasn't with any of the other bikes that have shown the same symptom).

Also - the software update has been "updated" again to fix the issue with the menu required to enable the fuel cap. Once the rotors and pads have arrived I will be having the lot done. Will let you know how it goes.

Should I mention the "speed nut" when I drop it off? Probably better not to jinx them/myself!

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Back in the old days (when I rode Triumph Tigers), there was a spate of warped disks. The Tigers used Thailand made "Sun" brand disks and I hated them. I never had a warped disk but they wore out really fast.

The point of this is that at the time, my friend who is a Triumph mechanic seemed to think it was related to water. His theory was that if you get a disk hot from braking hard or a few times in a row and then hit significant water, it could differentially cool the hot disk and warp it. There were a few cases where guys had 2 or 3 sets of front disks replaced. Maybe they are the guys who brake hard and ride in the wet?

Given we have had so much rain in Oz lately, do you guys with warped disks feel this could be the cause? You been riding through puddles again???

TimOz

Standard exhaust

Last edited by TimOz; Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:51 pm.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOz View Post
Back in the old days (when I rode Triumph Tigers), there was a spate of warped disks. The Tigers used Thailand made Sum brand disks and I hated them. I never had a warped disk but they wore out really fast.

The point of this is that at the time, my friend who is a Triumph mechanic seemed to think it was related to water. His theory was that if you get a disk hot from braking hard or a few times in a row and then hit significant water, it could differentially cool the hot disk and warp it. There were a few cases where guys had 2 or 3 sets of front disks replaced. Maybe they are the guys who brake hard and ride in the wet?

Given we have had so much rain in Oz lately, do you guys with warped disks feel this could be the cause? You been riding through puddles again???
Hmmmm I do ride every day: rain hail or shine. I had wondered if this was possible, but I would have expected to feel the effect immediately after hitting the water. Given that it's hard to use brakes heavily when it's raining, I doubt this was the cause. Having said that, my VFR was ridden rain, hail, and shine also, and it NEVER exhibited even the slightest amount of warping in 70,000km!

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 8:24 pm Thread Starter
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)

the only time i have needed to replace disks prematurely is when i used to use a disk lock ...... i dont use one now .....
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mb2t View Post
the only time i have needed to replace disks prematurely is when i used to use a disk lock ...... i dont use one now .....
Using a disk lock whilst riding is not recommended

Seriously though, is there anything other than anecdotal evidence to suggest the fitment of a disk lock whilst parked can warp your disk? I doubt it. There is no stress of any kind and although the lock may act as a heat sink to that particular portion of the disk, so too do the brake pads and calipers.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:59 am

I got the bike back today with new discs and the latest and greatest ECU upgrades. This included mapping, Ohlins upgrade (which fixed the DES Error), ABS upgrade, gauges calibration changes for km/l;stalling issues, steering lock etc. Bike seems to be running well and definitely feels smoother and more settled. The mechanic said that one of the bolts for a disc was extremely difficult to remove as a result some damage occurred in getting it off so it was replaced. I would say that this is pretty unusual. He also said that a letter was being sent out from Ducati shortly to all owners re the ECU upgrades. I think this will go a long way to addressing issues. I also ride in the rain and recently did a reasonably quick 1000km day to Melbourne with rain all the way. It was after that that I began to notice the brake issues so it may be related to the warped discs.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2011, 3:37 pm

So there you go!
Don't use you brakes in the wet.

TimOz

Standard exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode