What Did You Do On Your Multistrada Today? - Page 422 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #4211 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 9:04 am

Re; Safety Wiring necessities;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I'm interested in the art. Could you elaborate for us n00bs?
tools, materials, techniques?
Please start a thread on the topic.
I use a really old aircraft safety wiring tool. That's a 2 pound spool (stainless safety wire), which will probably last most folks a lifetime.

My biological father (I also had two step fathers, all before I was 12 years old) was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF on nuclear bombers during/after the Korean War in the "nuclear '50s", after that he worked in the airline industry for Pan Am, then he put in thirty three years with Lockheed. He taught me well.

That old tool still works just fine.

It isn't hard to do ... the main idea is to have the wire wrap the fastener so that it is always pulling the fastener "tight". When wiring two or more fasteners together, each fastener has to wrapped in that fashion ... so that the wire pulls on the fastener in the proper direction so that it's always pulling them tight. In the case of a nut on a stud, the stud itself is not drilled, only the nut is. The wire does not get threaded through any holes in the stud ... if the stud is drilled a cotter key is more appropriate.

What was demonstrated on that hub a few posts back was not an example of safety wiring, it was an example of fakery with the intention of "looking like" safety wiring. The person that posted it is fully aware of that and commented as such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety Wiring Tool and Wire - 01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	952809  
Tim_Shady and TNMulti like this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4212 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMulti View Post
Agreed

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...67173763427472

Wire needs to wrap around bolt to keep it from turning
Image #1 ... While the idea of wrapping the wire on the nut so as to pull it tight as shown in that image in that link is correct, I feel it should be pointed out that pretty much everything else about that picture is wrong. The nuts are not properly drilled, and there should be at least two (or even three) threads on the stud sticking out above the nut. Those nuts appear to be "aircraft locking nuts" .. the locking mechanism is not even engaging the threads on the stud ... totally wrong. In fact, if the wire breaks those nuts actually have a higher likelihood of coming loose and even falling off.

Image #2 ... properly drilled nut. Note how the wire goes in and right back out of the nut, rather than ~across~ the nut so the tension of the twisted wire is always able to pull the nut tight ... unlike how it was done in Image #1.

Image #3 ... some safety wring examples. Note how the twisted wire is always "pulling tight" on the fasteners. Also note that every fastener in that image is a bolt, not a nut. Which is why they are drilled "across the center" rather than drilled across the corner of each flat, which is how a properly drilled nut looks as seen in Image #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety-wire (improperly done) - 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	952811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety-Wire-Example (properly drilled nut) - 01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	952813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety-Wire-Example.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	952815  

post #4213 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 10:05 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallOne View Post
Did you DIY the crash bars? I need those.

The Sargent (they need your seat pan sent in) has been awesome. I just completed a 300 mile loop in Socal. Up to Ventura, out Ortega hw and back. Then on down to San Diego.

If your ass is on the wide side, or you have a donk like me, the width is perfect. They have a prostate channel. A welcome addition! I wear padded bike shorts under Motoport mesh pants. Works well.

Did my DVT service and fork service at dealer last week. $2200 But they really did everything it needed, including an oil change and thorough chain cleaning/lube. Updated ECU and odds and ends. Started quicker, and gained a few MPG.
Sorry for the long delay.

I had the bike in for service so had them do the install. I probably should've done it myself as its a fairly "simple" install but, I typically don't mess with electric.

I'll look into The Sargent. Sounds perfect as that's my next upgrade - need a better seat than the stocker...

2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S

post #4214 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 10:18 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
Iíve never understood those studs Ducati uses with the recessed area on the end.

Nothing real fancy but good enough to pass tech inspection and no, sprocket bolts donít need it for any racing organization I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR
post #4215 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDuc View Post
I used this writeup for the general idea but put it together my own way.

I think there's some other threads on the forum about the same thing as well, but the basic idea is jumper the switched relay coil leads on the high and low beams together with a diode so whenever you run you highs the lows relay gets the same signal, but if you de-energize the highs the diode will keep the potential at the low coil lead from energizing the high beams relay.

It's stupid simple and isn't a permanent mod - you can pull it off in minutes if you decide you don't like it. But I frequently find myself riding with my finger on the passing light switch to get more light so I figured it was time to make it a thing!

I looked at the write up but I did not see a spec for the diode. Could you lead me to the specs for the correct one?

Thanks, wes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4216 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wesg View Post
I looked at the write up but I did not see a spec for the diode. Could you lead me to the specs for the correct one?
I just used a 1N4007 - fairly common diode that you can probably get from amazon / digikey / mouser / maybe local electronics hobby store? We have a bunch of them laying around work so I just went with that. Just be sure that the diode is pointed in the correct direction.

High beams ---->|---- low beams

if you go the other way around your highs will always be on
mr.wesg likes this.

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2002 Ducati ST4S - Stealth Grey!
post #4217 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 10:50 am

Great info., also, for ppl planning to drill nuts like this, a fixture for your drill press is highly recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
... properly drilled nut. Note how the wire goes in and right back out of the nut, rather than ~across~ the nut so the tension of the twisted wire is always able to pull the nut tight ... how it was done in Image #1.
post #4218 of 4219 (permalink) Old Today, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
Iíve never understood those studs Ducati uses with the recessed area on the end.

Nothing real fancy but good enough to pass tech inspection and no, sprocket bolts donít need it for any racing organization I know of.

VERY nicely done. The correct method used as well. Great examples shown there ... not to mention excellent photos.

My dad would approve.

Love those brake rotors BrakeTec ?? very nice.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode