MTS1200 - Key mysteries... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

MTS1200 - Key mysteries...

OK so I think there must be something funky going on here. Initially I thought I was doing things wrong, but it's been semi-scientifically eliminated through thorough testing. Something must be wrong with either my key or the "hands free" unit that's supposed to talk to it.

Here's what's consistently happens:
1) Key is in my pocket or in front compartment.
2) 9 times out of 10, flipping the red switch down (then up) does nothing. I'm pausing, pressing & holding etc - no use.
3) 9 times out of 10, pressing the on/off switch on the tank leads to "enter pin code"
4) The 1 time of 10 when the system does acknowledge the key being there, I will inevitably get the "no key" error message after a a few minutes of riding.

I've replaced battery - twice - in the key - same problem. In fact it's worse now....

Would you agree with me that it's safe to say that it's not "user error" and something must be glitchy? If so - is this something that is covered by warranty? Do I just bring it in to the dealer? I'm worried about leaving it for service unnecessarily as this bike is my only transportation to/from work.

Any info/ideas appreciated. Thanks!

(PS. I love this machine to death!)

2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 ABS (White)
DP Touring windshield / DP Touring seat / Rear Top Case / Center stand

Last edited by Martin Lindhe; Jan 2nd, 2011 at 11:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:02 am

have you tried holding the red passive key over the lower portion of the windshield? If the behavior is the same, it might be the bike's antenna, if it works it could be the red key.

here's something else, do you have other RFID keys nearby that could be interfering? perhaps your car key in your pocket? just a thought.

either way, bring it into DucSea for a closer look.

2010 MTS 1200s

Last edited by martys; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:53 am. Reason: changed key from black to red
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Martys - oh right - you told me to try that in another thread (*slaps forehead*)...
Anyway - no I have no other keys that could interfere. The only antenna-ish thing I can think of would be the iPhone 4 that I always carry with me... could that be a problem?

Just make sure I got it right:
If the startup system works with the RED PASSIVE KEY placed like you describe, then the problem lies in the KEY.

If it doesn't - the problem lies in the antenna or something.

Correct?

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:26 am
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)

if you research this forum , there were a few units that failed pretty quickly . get it to the dealer pronto and let them solve it on their time before you fall outta love. if i recall you work just across the road
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mb2t View Post
if you research this forum , there were a few units that failed pretty quickly . get it to the dealer pronto and let them solve it on their time before you fall outta love. if i recall you work just across the road
I hear ya... good points - only snag here is that the dealer across the road is not the dealer I bought the bike from. But maybe that doesn't matter with stuff like this? Would it be something any Ducati dealer can look into as it probably would be factory warranty issue?

post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
Martys - oh right - you told me to try that in another thread (*slaps forehead*)...
Anyway - no I have no other keys that could interfere. The only antenna-ish thing I can think of would be the iPhone 4 that I always carry with me... could that be a problem?

Just make sure I got it right:
If the startup system works with the RED PASSIVE KEY placed like you describe, then the problem lies in the KEY.

If it doesn't - the problem lies in the antenna or something.

Correct?
thanks for the correction on the key color. it COULD be the active key vs the antenna if the passive key works without issue. diagnosis by elimination is helpful, but not always conclusive. for all I know, there could be a service mode to re-pair keys to the bike and doing that could make both keys work every time. an MTS trained tech could say for sure.

since EMS is across the street from you, give the service dept a call. they're a very reputable shop. the worst that could happen is they'll tell you to ask DucSea first. we're lucky to have to great dealers within 10 miles of each other.

2010 MTS 1200s
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:07 am

Martin, this might seem silly but when you move the red switch down, are you moving it right down until you feel it "click"? When I move my red ignition switch down it moves to the bottom of it's apparent travel easily and then needs an extra push to fire up the ignition. It kind of feels like you a pushing a microswitch at the bottom.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:28 am

have you tried the passive starting method of placing either key over the lower section of the windscreen? this should work with both keys.

from the service manual:
Active key

Introduction

The active key (1) communicates with the Hands free system by radio. In order to function, the key must be within a 1.5 metre radius of the antenna (located at the lower part of the clear Plexiglas windscreen).
In the event of a flat key battery or of an internal transmitter circuit fault, the active key may be used in transponder mode (exactly like the passive key). In this mode, the key must be physically placed on the antenna in order to work correctly.
The mechanical part of the key (2) is used to open the seat or fuel tank cap with no electric lock.

There's a whole section in the service manual about reprogramming the keys to mate to the bike. it requires the use of the DDS service computer. take both your keys and bring them to the dealer and ask them to reprogram the bike for both keys. this should be a warranty service.

2010 MTS 1200s

Last edited by martys; Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:11 am.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:26 am

I keep my key in that inside (hidden) pocket near my upper left chest, but I leave the smartphone in a completely different pocket as a precaution (if that even does anything).

I find I often need to lean my chest toward the dash to get the start-button to work, but then I'm good to go.

I did have a "no key" indicator near my 600 mile check last summer. However, they couldn't replicate the problem at the dealer and it's never happend again.

2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, Black; VarioTouring Screen; Motech Guards;Barkbusters
2009 Kawi Versys (sold)
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloVanMultistrada View Post
Martin, this might seem silly but when you move the red switch down, are you moving it right down until you feel it "click"? When I move my red ignition switch down it moves to the bottom of it's apparent travel easily and then needs an extra push to fire up the ignition. It kind of feels like you a pushing a microswitch at the bottom.
Yes - I'm, doing any and all forms of pausing / pushing / extra pushing known to man. Still won't work. I tried the black key on the lower part of windshield right on the antenna this morning - no luck.... I haven't tried red key yet though.

Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode