MTS1200 - Key mysteries... - Page 8 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2016, 8:31 pm

My bike now requires a PIN code every time to start it. now I have yet another reason (fuel sensor error, no rear brake) to try and find a dealer

2013 Multistrada 1200 Pike's Peak
2012 Streetfighter S, 2001 ST4, 1992 900 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2016, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
My bike now requires a PIN code every time to start it. now I have yet another reason (fuel sensor error, no rear brake) to try and find a dealer
Racerboy, were you able to get this fixed ?

Thanks

2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098S
2011 Ducati Multistrada Touring S
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to enhance the antenna either on the key fob or on the bike?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidiracer View Post
Forgive me if this was already mentioned (I didnít read the entire thread) but I had problems with my key as well and I think I found the issue. I would always put my cell phone in my tank bag to charge it (and its just convenient). Apparently the signal from the phone was enough to interfere with the key. I have not done any real research but if I put my cell phone in my jacket pocket on the opposite side as my key, I have yet to have a problem.
Same thing here. When charging my iPhone in my tank bag starting becomes difficult. In all other cases. iPhone in pocket or backpack. No problem. So iPhone close to antenna is definitely a cause for problems.

Eric
Kudelstaart, the Netherlands
Current: MTS 1200 S Touring White
Ducatis Owned & Used:
Ducati ST4S ABS, 140.000 km destroyed by a car running a red light
Ducati ST2, 80.000 km
Ducati Paso 906, 65.000 km
Ducati Paso 750, 12.000 km
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Two years in on my 2016 Multistrada DVT, with a bit over 20,000 mi. The keyless ignition is a great feature and pleasure to use . . . when it works. Especially for all day tourers or sport tourers. Makes it easy to turn the bike off and walk away, or hop on and start up.

I've had a few issues with my key fob over the past two years but both were easily resolved. I've had to change the battery two times; the both went without warning and I couldn't start the bike. But the PIN code worked and I was able to ride home. Now I carry replacement batteries just in case. (Don't store you're wireless key in the garage or anywhere close to your bike. It will drain the battery. Don't ask me how I know.)

Separately, the wireless start failed on two other occasions. Each time the battery was fine. PIN to the rescue. The next time I tried starting the bike fired up. Go figure.

The PIN code feature is absolutely brilliant. Very happy I have it.

So my conclusion is the wireless fob is a great feature, when it works, and it works most of the time. On those few occasions when it doesn't work, it only requires basic maintenance (battery change). And if all else fails, you've got the PIN.

To the OP, something is definitely wrong with your black key. If your red key works your antenna must be connected and the circuit operational. Same if you can use your black key in passive mode. The good news is you shouldn't have to give up the bike for service. Hold onto that black key because you'll need it to open the tank.
post #76 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 7:10 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandel View Post
(Don't store you're wireless key in the garage or anywhere close to your bike. It will drain the battery. Don't ask me how I know.)
I wonder if keeping the fob in a closed metal box (Faraday Cage) would help avoid that problem? Is less power used when the fob is well out of range of the receiver?

M. Brungard
Carmel, IN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode