Oil leak on new 2019 Monster 821 after 70 miles - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Oil leak on new 2019 Monster 821 after 70 miles

Hey Ducati Monster crew, I bought a new 2019 Ducati Monster 821 last week and after riding for several miles I noticed smoke emanating from the right side of my bike. After pulling over it was a small trickle oil leak apparently coming from the clutch cover, burning off on the exhaust. I dropped it off at the local Ducati dealer and had them diagnose it. They called me and said it was a bad engine idler pulley shaft seal behind the timing belt. I'm curious if anyone has had these seals fail. I'm pretty disappointed to have an issue after only 70 miles. I am aware Ducatis require a lot of care, but it's frustrating to have this issue on a new bike. Have any of you experienced this same issue?

Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/1Es3xZe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Garage
After my last service, at a Ducati shop, my clutch cover weeps a tiny bit of oil after a ride... no biggie. Remember, humans put it together, and it's just a mechanical device, after all. If your shop fixes it, that's great.

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 1:11 pm

Garage
So when problems happen on complex systems they generally happen immediately if they're a mfg. defect... that's normal and as long as it's not something that requires cracking the case (opening up the motor) it's no big deal.

If they have to disassemble the motor (or even heads) I'd ask for a new bike or a brand new factory replacement (not rebuilt) motor at least... but seals are generally fairly easy non-invasive repairs.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 5:01 pm

it's rare for that seal to leak, esp on anything new. unusual for any of the seals to leak, really.

usually the timing shaft seals leak when they're 20 years old and hard as and you can turn the seal in the case.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode