Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Monster 796, pieces came off with oil filter

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cs363 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I was changing the oil of my monster 796. When I removed the disposable filter, it came off with a bolt inside and also another flat part (see pictures). That is not what I was expecting. I don't see to ne able to remove that bolt (I have tried in many ways but it seems stuck) and I have no idea how to reinstall the flat part. Anybody knows? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Cristiano

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The oil filter came off like that. It is proper ducati oil filter, which should instead look like this

https://cdn3.volusion.com/2b95c.ejoz3/v/vspfiles/photos/OF-960-3.jpg?1455722362

So there is an extra screw and bolt that should not be there but should have remained attached to the engine, holding the flat part in place (I am guessing). In all other Ducati, when I unscrew the oil filter, there is a hole in the middle, not a thread and a bolt.

#4 ·
Well, you properly read my mind ... I wanted to know the brand and part number so I could look it up to see if it was made with that pressure fitting attached to it from it's factory. You've clearly shown that the filter is not made like that.

I would say that the last person to install that filter over-tightened it ... to extremes. I would also say that the pressure fitting that is stuck to it belongs inside of the engine (just a guess).

I'd suggest using a proper wrench on that fitting rather than channel locks (aka "water pump pliers"). You may have to hit the wrench with something to provide "shock" to break that fitting loose from the filter. The filter may be destroyed since it's to be replaced anyhow, so go ahead and clamp it in a vise by the body (good and tightly, even to the point of crushing the filter body somewhat), then put the correct size wrench on the fitting (I'd suggest a "box end wrench" rather than an "open end wrench"), and then hit the other end of the wrench with a short length of wood (such as a 2x4). It may require several blows to the wrench to break the fitting loose. The idea is to "shock" the fitting loose and permit you to remove it from the old filter.

Perhaps that helps. ???

:wink2:

#5 ·
that's the filter nipple that is meant to still be in the cases. the flat springy thing covers the oil entry into the filter and pushes the oil via another passage through the oil cooler first before it feeds back to the filter.

simply put, the filter nipple needs to be removed from the filter and refitted into the cases with the spring plate and loctited in. it's meant to be 42nm.

#8 ·
Looks like someone death torqued the filter on last service. I don't see any locker on the exposed threads... I wonder if it was missing from the factory assembly...?

OP, if I were you, I would order a new part... the bearing face on the threaded filter adapter looks all buggered up, I wouldn't want to thread that back up into my motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.