FCR 41s - Loss of Power at WOT - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

FCR 41s - Loss of Power at WOT

98' M900 with racked 41s, Keihin blue velocity stacks, very short/free-flowing exhaust. Generally speaking there is backfire when decelerating from 4k+, or at least a deep burping sound.

When at WOT for a few seconds it feels as it the bike is running out of fuel and the motor will die within a matter of a few more seconds if I continue to keep the throttle pinned. When it dies all electronics remain on. After a few seconds of the motor being off the motor fires right up again and operates normally.

If, however, I immediately let go of the throttle completely while it begins to feel like the bike wants to die and then wait a second or so and gently get back on the throttle just a bit it then the bike will ride just fine. It's as if we gave it time to replenish the the float bowls.

When I had 39s this issue did not exist. This leads me to believe it is probably not the fuel delivery pre-carb, and instead is related to fuel circuitry in the carbs themselves; the only thing that has changed has been the carbs (and the exhaust).

I have rebuilt most of the easier to access gaskets, seals, and float valves + accelerator pump. I should mention that I slightly damaged one valve seat, then used a dremel to smooth it again and tested the operation of the valve by holding the carb at the angle it sits on the intake and ensured the most gentle touch to the float would push the valve into the seat without any resistance. But let's say that valve was stuck inside the valve seat. There would be no fuel for one cylinder, but wouldn't it still run on the other cylinder? And if the valve was stuck outside of the seat, there would be a lot of fuel, but since the bike is already at WOT wouldn't it consume all that uninhibited flow of fuel anyway? If not, it'd be a rich condition for one cylinder, but the other cylinder would still have to run, no?

I'm buying a set of new set of seats anyway, but I am not yet convinced the seats are playing a dominant role in this.

Running 155 mains with "W" heads.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

Garage
Fuel starvation could be from pinched fuel line and or fuel filter clogged,...

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

That was my initial thought as well but when I had the 39s the bike ran perfectly, and it was only one week later when I switched to the 41s did this fuel issue arise. It seems to me the only variable that changed was the carburetors, not the fuel system.

I'll have another go around of the fuel lines but I did not find anything pinching during the last two inspections.

Would you happen to know the required inner diameter of the fuel line?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 3:16 pm

Garage
It's metric, but 5/16" was close enough on my bikes.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

The fuel line was slightly kinked. I installed a new and longer 5/16". There is still the most subtle of kink from the petcock, but it runs much better. Thanks for your help.

That having been said, it did nearly cut off twice again at WOT.

I still feel like the main jet is either too big and/or the valve is being stuck open (but at WOT does that even matter?)

I'll be ordering new valve seats from Sudco next week to rule out the one valve seat as the culprit.

Last edited by samadhi; Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:14 am.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

I am beginning to think that my gravity fed setup may not be appropriate for the 41s. The bike initially came with 39s and gravity fed fuel and did not have issues of any kind.

I ordered two new valve seats from Sudco. I don't think they're related to my issue, but it's useful to rule out issues by merit of fact.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Garage
Your bike doesn't have a fuel pump in the tank? If not, you might try a larger external fuel filter inline.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Agreed. Iíd check the fuel flow at the carbs. Do you have a tank filter ? Could be clogged or partially, or just inadequate flow. Make sure your tank is venting, that vent line can get plugged too. How short and wide open is the exhaust ? That might be causing the noise when you close the throttle . Think about raising your float level, if the carbs are getting enough fuel in the first place. What mains did you run with the 39s ?
Iíd start there, but now you have lower velocity at partial throttle so you might end up going smaller. W heads with short exhaust and 41ís, Iím not sure if thatís an ideal combo, but Iím sure you can get it to run well.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
Your bike doesn't have a fuel pump in the tank? If not, you might try a larger external fuel filter inline.
I do not think so. I double-checked my parts fiche for verification. It seems to have an externally mounted vacuum pump.

4 is petcock which leads to the fuel filter (unmarked).

16 is vacuum fuel pump.

Considering I have W heads - that is to say, smaller valves - I wonder if a larger fuel filter makes sense to be the solution. V heads have larger valves and even with 41s they seem to operate fine using an OEM capacity fuel filter which leads to me think the size of the fuel filter may play a small role if anything? Hm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel fiche.png
Views:	10
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	948423  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Agreed. Iíd check the fuel flow at the carbs. Do you have a tank filter ? Could be clogged or partially, or just inadequate flow. Make sure your tank is venting, that vent line can get plugged too. How short and wide open is the exhaust ? That might be causing the noise when you close the throttle . Think about raising your float level, if the carbs are getting enough fuel in the first place. What mains did you run with the 39s ?
Iíd start there, but now you have lower velocity at partial throttle so you might end up going smaller. W heads with short exhaust and 41ís, Iím not sure if thatís an ideal combo, but Iím sure you can get it to run well.
Fuel filter: I have a brand new fuel filter I will replace right now.

Venting: Is the vent line also also know as a breather pipe? I tried looking for it on a parts fiche diagram. I couldn't find a "vent line" but I did find "breather pipe" / #22 in the parts fiche. Pic attached.

Exhaust: Pic attached. I also pictured the header because the cross-section is substantially wider than OEM and maybe it's important for your to see it.

How much can the exhaust affect fueling at high speeds? I know it can affect cylinder scavenging and valve closure but I figure our desmo heads have return springs for rockers anyway so maybe it doesn't apply much to our bikes. I have V heads with oversized valves, IE cams, polished and ported to match 41s ready to be installed when I have time. Maybe the exhaust will be less of a variable for fueling in that situation. I'm saving up for custom cans anyway, this setup is temporary.

Float levels: Doh! I totally forgot about the float level! I'm going to sync the carbs right now using the drill-bit method. I will adjust the float level while they're off.

Mains: I am 99% sure I ran 155 mains on the 39s which are same as the 41s. I need some time but I can verify that.

The issue seems to only arise at full speed at WOT not partial throttle, which leads me to believe there might be a fuel issue and also that issue is unique to variables involved only with the demands of higher flow rate such as a fuel filter or like you had mentioned float levels. I know the 41s have issues with lean bog at low RPMs presumably due to the lower vacuum not being enough to pull in adequate fuel thus the need for the accel pump, but even so that pump seems to need tuning. Next project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank.png
Views:	11
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	948425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_104429.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	948427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	15
Size:	14.53 MB
ID:	948429  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode