Monster stalling when coming to a stop.... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2019, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Garage
Monster stalling when coming to a stop....

...so InnerNerd has a post regarding this but donít wanna crap on his thread (though the two are related), and I think I know why my Monster is stalling.

Itís definitely happening more and more now with the hot temps in Chicago but the behavior is that the RPMís dip below 1k when coming to a stop. I can recreate this every single time.

As Iím coming to a stop and I shift down to 1st gear, the RPM will go down to 900-700 rpmís and the bike will die. No problem, find Neutral and fire her right back up. But why do I have to do this every single time?

The bike is a 2012 796 model with 900 miles on the clock when I bought her. Iíve since put in 160 miles since ownership (yay!).

The bike has termi slip-ons installed by the original owner (unfortunately iím unable to reach out to him to find out more of the bikeís history) and the stock parts were given to me along with an ECU, which I would assume is stock and a different ECU is in place.

Will this bike benefit from an ECU flash? Is this something a Ducati shop can only perform or will an independent motorcycle shop able to do? I planned a nice, quiet ride this morning but it was cut short (only 5 miles in) due to the stalling and didnít want to endanger myself in the streets.

Help please! I want to spend more time on the bike rather than it sitting in the garage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2019, 7:27 pm

if the idle is dropping i'd start with giving the idle control valve a good look over, maybe a clean, and also check the little hoses to the map sensors (maybe there's only 1 on a 796?).
supersnout likes this.

know all wanker
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Belter.

Do you think oil has something to do with this too? I doubt the previous owner performed the first maintenance at 900 miles and I do notice when the motorcycle dies, the oil lights up. Oil looks new but heck, it's a 20 min/30 dollar job so I might as well do that.

Others have pointed out that it could be gas as well. It probably had gas from when it was stored, lord knows how long ago. The stalling happened more when I filled her up (combination of old and now fresh gas) so the advice was to run her till bone dry and fill up fresh.

Thanks again!

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 9:43 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnout View Post
Hey Belter.

Do you think oil has something to do with this too? I doubt the previous owner performed the first maintenance at 900 miles and I do notice when the motorcycle dies, the oil lights up. Oil looks new but heck, it's a 20 min/30 dollar job so I might as well do that.

Others have pointed out that it could be gas as well. It probably had gas from when it was stored, lord knows how long ago. The stalling happened more when I filled her up (combination of old and now fresh gas) so the advice was to run her till bone dry and fill up fresh.

Thanks again!
Your light comes on when it stalls because the oil pressure drops....thats normal. If it comes on when the bike is running that's when you need to worry.

I doubt it is the gas as well although that is more of a possibility. The bike should idle around 1000 rpm's. My bet is that is the key. IDK if its an ecu issue or something else that controls it such as a valve or vacuum line.

If you want you can try feeding a little throttle in neutral to raise the idle when you are coming to a stop....takes some technique lol . I've used it on a number of Harleys and old beaters before I got them fixed. At least you could ride it some without it dying.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Garage
[quote=
If you want you can try feeding a little throttle in neutral to raise the idle when you are coming to a stop....takes some technique lol . I've used it on a number of Harleys and old beaters before I got them fixed. At least you could ride it some without it dying.[/quote]

Dude, that's me right now at stop lights - haha! I'm the a-hole that's revving the engine to prevent it from dying. The people around me think otherwise.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Garage
I also found a quick idle adjustment process from a different forum and figure give it a try.

Today, it will be oil change, play with idle, and f** * it see if stays up. Thanks to you both so far!
ATinPGH likes this.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 12:08 pm

Garage
No guarantees that this will help, but it's worked for me in the past on STs that were doing the same thing. Remove the air filter and take a look at the throttle bodies. If you see a black ring around and near the butterflies, wipe it out with a clean cloth soaked with a little carb cleaner. Sometimes that build-up can cause the symptoms you're describing. Good luck!

2006 ST3s ABS, 1991 Suzuki GSX-R750
2000 Yamaha WR400, 2003 Honda TRX300ex
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 3:02 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnout View Post
I also found a quick idle adjustment process from a different forum and figure give it a try.

Today, it will be oil change, play with idle, and f** * it see if stays up. Thanks to you both so far!
Just a little tweaking man ....you will get it !! I get the stink eye on my hyper all the time because the clutch is so damn loud and I have a mutt dan moto pipe that is loud as hell.

FWIW I bought a sweet factory service manual on a CD rom from Ebay for 10 bux. It was from England. I bet they have one for your bike. Very handy and covers alot of this type of stuff.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I have not done anything (yet) but hereís a few more observations on the bike.

Neutral idles at between 1300-1400 RPMís - GREAT!
Coming to a stop (either on Neutral or any Gear), it drops to 1k and below with the clutch squeezed in - DIES!

I initially thought that so long as I am on Neutral then the chances of it dying is slimmer yet it happens too. Oil looks good (will change for sure), but I will also try and empty out the gas tank just by dicking around till itís time to fill-up.

Iíll perform the other recommendations (air filter) etc. Boooo!!

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Oil changed, spark plugs changed (only two, right?), emptied out the gas and put new gas and a touch of sea foam in it....will test ride tomorrow and update the thread!

You think this is the culprit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode