Monster stalling when coming to a stop.... - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpad View Post
Are you sure it stalls in neutral too?

Have you experienced any tendency of the bike to go forward while stopped and stalling in gear?

I'm sure it's a long shot, but my mind went on the clutch system.

Some air or a failing master/slave cylinder might cause such a problem.

Yes it stalls while idle too. I wish there was a way for me to recreate the pattern but I do know that when the Ďclickingí comes on, stalling is to follow.

Stalls on any gear if Iím coming to a stop. At a stop light, I would switch to Neutral and it would die too. I would witness the RPM drop to 800. No worries, fire her right back up and rev like a moron to keep her running.

The temp goes up to three bars and no more.

the bike doesnít lurch forward while stopped and when it stalls. It simply dies.

I captured a video of it today when warming up the bike. I would do a quick twist of the throttle, a short rev, release, and the RPMís would slowly go down BUT it would raise up to 1400 RPMís on its own as if Iím twisting the throttle slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Volpad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 2:45 am

Garage
Ok, got it.

Check the connection of the throttle bodies to the engine for any tears on the rubber.
It might have dried out and brake.

(sorry, my English are not very good)

2004 Ducati ST4s
2007 BMW F800St
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 7:30 am

Garage
I read a few pages back and couldn't tell if you'd cleaned the throttle bodies when you had the air filter off. A black ring can form where the butterflies close against the TB walls, and this can plug some tiny air passages. I've had to do this a couple of times on my STs (just a couple of weeks ago, as a matter of fact), and it clears up the exact same symptoms you're describing. It doesn't fix the root cause, but it fixes the problem for several thousand miles.
Volpad likes this.

2006 ST3s ABS, 1991 Suzuki GSX-R750
2000 Yamaha WR400, 2003 Honda TRX300ex

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 8:54 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerth View Post
I read a few pages back and couldn't tell if you'd cleaned the throttle bodies when you had the air filter off. A black ring can form where the butterflies close against the TB walls, and this can plug some tiny air passages. I've had to do this a couple of times on my STs (just a couple of weeks ago, as a matter of fact), and it clears up the exact same symptoms you're describing. It doesn't fix the root cause, but it fixes the problem for several thousand miles.
Now that you mention it, i had a similar problem on my F800ST a couple of years back.

Turned out to be a throttle cable that got stuck and didn't close all the way.

2004 Ducati ST4s
2007 BMW F800St
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpad View Post
Ok, got it.

Check the connection of the throttle bodies to the engine for any tears on the rubber.
It might have dried out and brake.

(sorry, my English are not very good)
Your English is excellent, sir and I appreciate the input. I will give this a go later today when I go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerth View Post
Referencing Volpad's recommendation, I will also take your advice and give it a try. To answer the question, I didn't clean/touch the throttle body so definitely worth a shot.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2019, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Garage
so a quick update on this, I took the bike to an independent shop and after 3 days of fiddling, they weren't able to figure out the issue.

Throttle bodies were cleaned, electronics were checked to ensure all were tight and not loose and nada.

6 hours of troubleshooting and still not a damn fix.

We're towing it now to an actual ducati shop and fingers crossed. Bummer.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old Today, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Garage
Ducati Diagnosis

So here we are, almost a month later and still no bike. The dealership however did their initial troubleshooting and found the below. See attached.

All this to the tune of $3500 for parts and labor for a bike that has 1200 miles. wow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	953995  
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old Today, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnout View Post
So here we are, almost a month later and still no bike. The dealership however did their initial troubleshooting and found the below. See attached.

All this to the tune of $3500 for parts and labor for a bike that has 1200 miles. wow!
$3,500! Oh man, my heart really goes out to you.

Two years ago I bought a really nice digital synthesizer (I'm a keyboard player). The brand was Kurzweil, one of the most highly regarded manufacturers with 40 years of excellent reputation. It was the 4th Kurzweil I had owned, and the particular model was their flagship. Out of one year of ownership I was able to actually use it for less than three months. The rest of the time was spent being sent from "authorized" service center to service center. One time it came back to me, reportedly "fully repaired" and it wouldn't even boot up. Long made short, after becoming the squeaky wheel and forcefully demanding the situation be resolved with the factory, it was shipped on their nickle halfway across the USA for three months. It came back fully functional, but now the warranty had expired. 9 months of warranty time was spent at service centers. I fully tested the synth so I could honestly say that I knew it worked, and sold the bloody thing on eBay.

I really loved that thing ... when it worked! But all of my confidence in it had been completely killed off. I could no longer feel good about owning it.

My point? Get that Monster running and sell it. There's a reason the phrase "Monday or Friday built" exists ... sometimes you just end up with a pile of shit that you just don't want anywhere in your sight.

I really feel for you, man.

Fix it, and let it go.

supersnout likes this.

'96 CR. Square peg among round holes.
Comply or be shunned .. comply! .. Comply! .. COMPLY!
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old Today, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your post! Such a bitter pill to swallow but I totally understand what you're saying.

This was supposed to be the one-and-only bike till I'm done with riding and it pains me to even think about getting rid of it.

I am not there yet, but it all depends how she behaves once I get her back and fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
$3,500! Oh man, my heart really goes out to you.

Two years ago I bought a really nice digital synthesizer (I'm a keyboard player). The brand was Kurzweil, one of the most highly regarded manufacturers with 40 years of excellent reputation. It was the 4th Kurzweil I had owned, and the particular model was their flagship. Out of one year of ownership I was able to actually use it for less than three months. The rest of the time was spent being sent from "authorized" service center to service center. One time it came back to me, reportedly "fully repaired" and it wouldn't even boot up. Long made short, after becoming the squeaky wheel and forcefully demanding the situation be resolved with the factory, it was shipped on their nickle halfway across the USA for three months. It came back fully functional, but now the warranty had expired. 9 months of warranty time was spent at service centers. I fully tested the synth so I could honestly say that I knew it worked, and sold the bloody thing on eBay.

I really loved that thing ... when it worked! But all of my confidence in it had been completely killed off. I could no longer feel good about owning it.

My point? Get that Monster running and sell it. There's a reason the phrase "Monday or Friday built" exists ... sometimes you just end up with a pile of shit that you just don't want anywhere in your sight.

I really feel for you, man.

Fix it, and let it go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode