Brake lever problem. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Brake lever problem.

So I bough the bike with the after market brake lever. Even set at 6 the lever squeezes against my two fingers left on the throttle. I only ever two finger brake. What has anyone done about this? I know that a lot of guys are changing from oem. The profile is way different than the oem lever. I am considering just cutting the lever off at the point it squeezes against my fingers. That would be right around the notch on the lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E928D70E-1E1C-46CF-9FA9-03D1ACE00D0E.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	946241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:00 am

Garage
If the lever is one of those cheap knock off ones just get rid of it. If it is one of the good brands then email them asking why it is that way.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:12 am Thread Starter

It's a CRG RB-517.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Garage
Adjust the plunger that goes from the barrel in to the master cylinder. Screw it out a couple of turns and you'll get earlier activation of the brake.

RockAZ likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Have you tried bleeding the brakes? Air in the system will cause the lever to move closer to the bar under braking.
Tripod likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Garage
CRG are one of the good ones, imo, get that plunger adjusted and completely replace / flush the brake fluid and then see where you are.

CRG says that part number fits these Monsters for a brake lever - is yours one of these?

MONSTER S4R/S4RS '06-'08 RB-517
MONSTER 1100 '09-'12 RB-517
Pard likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Garage
If you are adjusted to position #6 and are hitting your knuckles something is wrong.

1. start with a good brake bleed to make sure there is NO air in the system. While bleeding observe the fluid return in the reservoir, if it is a long spurt you may have too much bleed down.

2. adjust bleeddown ** WARNING** if you adjust this adjustment too far it can cause your front brakes to lock up and not release causing a crash!

Lengthening the adjustment reduces bleed down and shortens the amount of fluid pumped into the reservoir, this gives a firmer lever but some safety margin must be kept for when the system heats up and expands. With little fluid in the reservoir and watching for the squirt adjust the bleed down adjuster to make sure there is some fluid shooting into the reservoir and lever travel is good. Where a aftermarket lever came on the bike a former owner may have screwed this adjustment up. Many brake systems have removed this adjustment from the system for just this reason though the clutch still comes with an adjustable bleed down, simply put it is hard to kill yourself with the clutch out of adjustment.
Buhgaboo and 1198SP like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by syazoo View Post
So I bough the bike with the after market brake lever. Even set at 6 the lever squeezes against my two fingers left on the throttle. I only ever two finger brake. What has anyone done about this? I know that a lot of guys are changing from oem. The profile is way different than the oem lever. I am considering just cutting the lever off at the point it squeezes against my fingers. That would be right around the notch on the lever.
Bleed the brake system then leave it overnight with the lever tie-wrapped to the grip.

2008 S4RS Tricolore 2008 848>1040 (track) 2011 MTS 2014 1199S Panigale (track) 2018 V4S Panigale (track)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

It has Motul RBF 600 fluid and a good bleed. I am very confident about that. The plunger adjustment may well be the answer. I put the stock lever on and it feels fantastic. A lot of clearance. I don't need the CRG. It just looks nice. That is the only benefit I see. The bike is an S4RS.

Edit:
I just went and put the CRG back on. When I looked at the OEM lever installation, there were two full threads showing on the plunger threads. I knew that the CRG was installed with no thread showing. In fact the plunger screwed into the CRG very freely and into the OEM lever with a lot of resistance. It seemed bottomed out with two threads showing on the OEM. So this is how I installed the CRG .... same number of threads showing. It is all the difference in the world. Great information guys. I will for sure report back when I go for a rip on my ride home.

Anyone else with these levers installed? How is your plunger adjusted?

Last edited by syazoo; Jun 18th, 2019 at 4:16 pm.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by syazoo View Post

Anyone else with these levers installed? How is your plunger adjusted?
I've had CRG's on several bikes - Pazzo's, Rizoma's - all need slight adjustments since most require you to remove the barrel and plunger from the stock lever and transfer it to the new one.

But Ducvet makes an excellent point that I should've noted - do not adjust the length too far - there needs to be space for the fluid to expand so the front brake doesn't lock up once it gets hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode