Upgrading/Downgrading? Help with my decision please! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Garage
Upgrading/Downgrading? Help with my decision please!

Wow!! Itís been soooo long since I visited the forums.

Yesterday I finally bid farewell to my first Ducati, my 749s. She and I had some great times together but I felt it was time to jump to newer bikes to reflect my lifestyle.

Iíve been eyeíing a Monster 696. Would I notice a huge drop in performance going from a Super Bike to this cruiser-type motorcycle?

I donít race. I donít track. My riding is more casual and mostly on flat ground. Some highway riding.

Is it easy to reach triple digit speeds with the 696 without it feeling like it would fall apart?

Should I opt for a 796 instead?

Iím a casual rider, mostly on Saturday/Sunday prowl around the burbs.

How about ease of maintenance? Do the 2012 and higher Monsters still require 7500 mile service maintenance for belts and valves?

Iím looking at two bikes right now. A 2012 stock 696 with 1200 miles. The other is a 2009 696 with the tail-delete and a full Termi exhaust. It currently has 4k miles.

Either can be had for $5k. Good price? Which would you go for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 8:51 am

Are you shopping at a price point, a performance spec or a comfort requirement?
Probably a mix of all three, but it would be important to know to better help with advice.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:07 am
Smut peddler

You will be very dissapointed with either. Go 1000 or 1100. I rented a 696 once. I checked to see that both plug wires were connected. Your results may vary
cs363 and supersnout like this.

09 multi 1100, 11 hyper, 1100, 12 monster 1100
Mike D grabbed the money, MCA snatched the gold, I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 1:56 pm

You had a 749S, a superbike which you didn't race or put it on the track.
Your riding is casual and mostly on flat ground with Some highway riding and some prowling around the suburbs...
The 696 isn't a cruiser-type motorcycle but a naked one.

Mate, just get a scrambler and be done with it - and i'm not being condescending.
Plus, it's more of a "cruiser-like" bike compared to the monsters so that might be a + for you.

Same weight (scrambler is a bout 3 Kg's lighter), softer suspension, good enough brakes (more than adequate) and a comfier riding position compared to the 696/796/1100.
The 696/796/1100 need a valve adjustment every 7500 miles and a belt change every 15.000 or 2 years - whichever comes first !

Jackie T might be right but, from what you wrote, you won't even need the 80(696)/85(796)/95(1100)/100bhp (Evo) my good man- unless you want to reach those "triple digits" on those straights on the 'burbs which...there's no need to really.

The scrambler is classy, classic (looking) and its general performance is more than enough for casual Sunday strolls (and not only).

Granted, a used Scrambler might be more expensive than a 696 but if i was looking for a bike right now to do that kind of usage you described i'd seriously consider it, in fact, it might be the most versatile bike in the Ducati line-up, the fact that you could do some light trail riding (due to the pirelli scorpions and softer suspension) is also a big + in my book.

Happy riding
supersnout likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Garage
I would say it is much more the bike than the power.

I have a number of customers who have owned superbikes of all sizes and end up buying a bike of lesser power only to find they do not miss what they were not using. Only you can decide what your needs are but I can tell you my suggestion is to stay above 20rwhp and you will be fine. I do not find power to be a deal breaker most of the time but ask yourself how often you carry a passenger and need to pass vehicles quickly. This would be the biggest loss with less power.

I quite enjoy riding a smaller bike in that I enjoy changing gears as it is part of the fun for me, others would be happy with a one speed. My compaint on the 696 would be the rear suspension mostly as it is a cantilever design so will never be as capable as other designs. It should be a lighter weight system but seeing as Ducati chose to make the back half of the 696/1100 out of a special alloy of extra weight there is no advantage on that model. The takeaway is that you should ride one and ride it on the typical roads you ride first so you can tell if it will be too uncomfortable. Front forks are poor as well buy cartridges or springs will at least make that better.

Of the two listed I would choose the one with a pipe because the exhaust will cost you more to buy it later if you are going to do so. The fact it is a termi means it is likely it may have a performance ecu/map installed where another brand may not.

I have mot ridden a scrambler but would think it a fine bike as would be a air cooled hyper or multistrada. I would look older to the s2R series of monsters if you want better ride comfort in a naked bike and the 800 or 1000 are both plenty capable motors.
supersnout likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Smut peddler

I guess this is how I would put it. The 1000/1100 is comparable to a 600 inline 4. The 696/796 are comparable to a 500 inline/ parallel. I'm not talking outright HP #s, I'm saying real life feel. I'm also guessing (don't know for fact) that you will get downgraded suspension. Find an 1100s model in good condition, with records and some farkels already on it. You will be quite happy riding it. Can't go wrong with the scrambler either. 1100, of course 😁
Barkertodd and supersnout like this.

09 multi 1100, 11 hyper, 1100, 12 monster 1100
Mike D grabbed the money, MCA snatched the gold, I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Garage
Flat land, Freeways, Go 1000 or 1100.
supersnout likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 8:42 pm

i really like the 696. they're fun, but not very fast. the 796 i find a bit tweeny. you can wheelie it if you want to, so it's a bit tempting. the 1100 would make me ride like a twat if i owned one, so i wouldn't.

1100 tends to be higher at the rear, so it feels like a bigger bike maybe.

i would think the 696 would have similar midrange to a 749, but obviously a lot less over 7,000 rpm.
supersnout likes this.

know all wanker
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Garage
I came off a CBR1000F to my 796 Monster. Do I miss the brutal high-RPM rush? Sure. Otherwise, I'm enjoying a nimble, reasonably performing motorcycle that still has plenty of grunt to get around, and enough top end for those 'spirited' rides. I miss the room of the CBR, however... I'm 6'2" and the 796 is a tight fit. It will not be the sport tourer I had hoped it would become, it's good for about 4 hours... for me, anyway.

I would not want a 696. Yes, I know it's only 100cc's, but there is also the swing arm.

I bought my 796 ABS, a '13 in '16, with 4K miles on it for $4800, there is no way I'd pay $5K for a 696.
supersnout likes this.

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:26 pm

... how about a used 1st Gen Hyper (air cooled)? Upright seating position, fun to ride, unique appearance, lots of aftermarket support.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode