smoother less jerky low speed 0 to 20mph - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By duc96cr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 9:16 am Thread Starter

smoother less jerky low speed 0 to 20mph

not sure of gearing at the moment 1999 900m city but parking lots suck and side streets , I finally went
42.5 pilot jet and cleaned up low end throttle and over reving on clutch out smoothness It would pop threw air box and tach up quick had to slip clutch quite a bit on pull out , but its alot better but from 20 to stop or rolling clutch out down side streets it is jerky as hell . any suggestions for a good slow, low end gearing , would be appreciated . I never highway drive and rarely take it over 80 on country roads so loosing some top end is fine .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 9:25 am

Garage
try the cheap option of a 14 tooth front to see if that helps. front sprockets can be had cheap enough and should not effect the chain enough to be a issue. After that some find a ignitech ignition to help with proper changes.

Has the bike been properly tuned?
What RPM band are you trying to run at?

Note dry clutches do not like to slip much so you might try the lithium mod some do and these motors on a carby are not known for being smooth under 3000rpm. If that is a ultimate goal you might see if a heavier flywheel would fit.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Prolific Poster Award

New iridium plugs and new plug wires. Use SeaFoam regularly. Keep your chain lubed. Adjust your low speed screws when well warmed up.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Also clean those little cans on your carb diaphragm hoses and make sure the hoses arenít kinking or collapsing.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Prolific Poster Award

How many bmw’s have you boxed ? What’s your win/ loss record ? That’s gotta be hard on the knuckles !
Bmw boxer likes this.

Last edited by duc96cr; May 19th, 2019 at 2:14 pm. Reason: Add
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks just going to do a sprocket change ,I might keep it a season or two but its not a long term love, My daily rider Is 73 750 nuremberg green toaster tank bmw with sidecar. I had it almost 30 years and my back up is an 1100V Star with sidecar , bought the Ducati because it had brand new tires and battery with 15 thousand miles and dent in tank and carbs apart friend took them apart to rebuild an life got busy so i picked it up for 500 . rebuilt carbs did body and paint might have 300 in to it plus purchase price ,ill either flip it for late model sporty I would like to do an 8 over fork frisco chop king queen seat rabbit bars drop swing arm 5 ft sissy bars and sky high pipes with old almond tank (poor handling and obnoxious .I know )or mid 60s bmw or used scout for another sidecar tug
ill do a drive sprocket , and Try iridium plugs and wires , carbs just cleaned and rebuilt new pilot jets ,and tuned mix screws idle and synched ,seafoam in tank already and I cleaned adjusted and lubed chain when i reassembled the bike Hoses were routed and checked for debris , and manifold and hoses for any Vacuum leaks , bike runs great just choppy 20 to 0 on decell or holding 5 10 15 on side streets and parking lots under acceleration no issue just holding constant speed or decell under 20
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 6:36 am
Prolific Poster Award

It takes a lot of playing around to get them smooth below 20 mph. Itís of very little concern to most Ducati riders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode