New To Me Monster S4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By duc96cr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 10:41 am Thread Starter

New To Me Monster S4

Picked up a 2001 S4 over the weekend and already put 100 miles on it.
Totally stock, one owner bike. under 10k miles.

Had a 750 Monster many years ago, and it is nice to be back on one again.
Spent most of my time focused on vintage stuff, although at this point 2001 is fairly vintage....

Im an Engineer now and in a former life I was a mechanic. I know my way around a wrench, and enjoy working/servicing my stuff.

No plans for big mods.

-Bike needs a service so I am collecting the proper tools and parts for that. Was some aftermarket belts, so am currently researching those.
-Will need to do a valve adjustment
-Got a single black key, and a code card....no red key. Looking at options to make a few clones of the black key.
-Want to get a set of heated grips with a small/slim switch
-On the hunt for a cell phone (for nav) mount that works with the factory bars
-Plan to have the suspension serviced and set up for me. I have never done this, but looking forward to tailoring a bike to me and my riding.
-Im sure I will add a few carbon items.
-Unsure about slip ons. I love the sound, but dont know if they will be a bit "too much" for the neighbors and riding.

Would love some insight and discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 8:15 pm
Prolific Poster Award

There are so many slip on options Iím sure youíll be able to find something that will increase performance and still fit you comfort zone for sound. Just donít unnecessarily rev the engine until youíre out of your neighborhood. I have Staintune on my SS and I donít think youíd have any noise issues with them at all. Though it isnít the best thing for the motor, when I had to leave early in the morning I hardly did any warm up at all, and no throttle blipping. I started the bike, pulled on my lid and gloves, and rode away, taking it easy for the first mile or so. Most people realize when youíre doing your best to be courteous.
surffly likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Garage
Read up on deleting the immobilizer it is much better than spare keys, you will be able to have more options down the road with it gone.

I use moose atv grip heaters, they are not as powerful as more serious grip heaters but then you can use most any grip over them instead of having rock hard grips 90% of the time. most of my customers have used these for years and no complaints.

Suspension is under sprung and over dampenened (high speed compression) but is easily sorted. 80% of the gains will be with proper springs.

On exhausts just buy with noise in mind. Larger cans with a Db killer will give you sound but nothing crazy and little power loss. Small cans with Db killers kill power too. Db killers take off 5-7Db in most cases I have tested and tend to richen the mixture. I run them in most of my bikes and like the sound level. Most modern cans should include them but be sure to ask.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 9:25 pm

jag

cloning the black keys is a good option, and you only need the red key to make more blacks. but getting rid of the immo is also pretty easy, and handy as eric says.

make sure you check all the rockers when you do valve clearances. 2001 is right when they were failing.

get into the fuel tank. lots of them (esp low km ones) are pretty manky by now.

the s4 should have st4 forks i think, which have a 0.83 spring? so not too bad. but fixing them is a good idea.

baffled slip ons tend to hurt peak torque more than peak power ime, and are lighter than oem anyway so a bonus there.

know all wanker
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 10:21 am Thread Starter

Will have to search around for just deleting the immobilizer.

I have read about the rocker issues and will take a look at that when I do the service.
Hope they are good, because I know myself.....If they are bad I will say "hey, while I am there....a set of SPS cams would be cool"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode