S4r ride height adjuster removal - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 12:38 am Thread Starter

S4r ride height adjuster removal

How do you get this thing out? I have the rear suspended, removed the upper bolt (#7) from the linkage, removed the lower bolt (#11) from the right side of the swing arm. Does the other half of the bolt (#12) need to come out from the left side of the swing arm? It looks like bolt 11 is long enough to be the support for the linkage, but I can't tell for sure. I can’t get the the lower eye of the adjuster rod to budge free.

What am I missing?

Jon

09 Hyper 1100S "BIGTARD" - Sold
02 Monster 620 "Piccolo Mostro"

Last edited by hooptygoo; May 7th, 2019 at 1:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Garage
Number 12 is just hollow plastic on my S4RS bike, to put a rod in to push the 11 bolt out the other side.
To get my broken height adjusting rod out, took seat off, undid tank and had it hanging from a rafter with a strap or two. Lifted back of bike off the ground with an engine hoist to let swingarm droop.
From the side, and from above, managed to undo 5 and 7, took shock out too, which allowed me to pivot the rocker enough to get the height rod out.
Lining the shock and rod eyes up to get 11 back in took me a while, but eventually, success.
I think I remembered that right.

Replaced it with a Multistrada one, as there were no S4RS ones available in my country. Same, but with an external hex mid shaft.

2008 S4RS Tricolore
2012 1100 Evo ABS

Last edited by seasalt; May 8th, 2019 at 7:47 am.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 8:23 am

Garage
I just swapped the shock on my S2R which uses the same swingarm setup. #12 does not have to come out (and be careful with it because it's easy to drop inside the swingarm if it does come loose...ask me how I figured that out). The end is a slight oval shape and fits into a keyed slot in the swingarm to keep it from rotating when you tighten bolt #12 so it's not possible for it to actually fit through the eyelot of the ride height rod.

#11 retains both the shock and ride height rod. I had my rod in and out a couple of times as I was changing the length to account for the shock I put on. The first time it came out easily. The second time it initially didn't want to budge so, like you, I thought maybe something else was keeping it in. I went back to the manual to be sure and it specifically states that #11 holds it in place. It simply required a good yank to get it loose the second time. The tolerances are just really tight.

2007 S2R 1000

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 11:37 am

I had to leave the upper bolt in and lever between the swingarm and rod end to pry it free. I think prying against the bottom of the shock actually helped more to get the ride height adjuster free. After you get the swingarm hanging freely, then remove the upper bolt to pull the adjuster.

2008 S2R1000, The mod whore
2003 RC51, The stock one (sold)
2002 ZX-7R, The green meanie (sold)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 2:38 pm

My Multistrada ride height adjustor seized, which apparently is not that uncommon.
I replaced it with one made with aerospace grade fittings made by Aurora aircraft fittings.....Fast By Ferracci has badged it and spec'd for various models. There is one for sale on Ebay from a guy in PA. Description: "Ducati Ride Height Adjuster kit- Fast By Ferracci F96580"

I bought mine from him also, and though it does claim it will fit various models, it was too long for my multistrada to maintain a decent ride height on my 2007 Multistrada 1100S. So I had it cut down on a lathe about 10mm on each end and it fits great now.
It is smooth as butter for adjusting and then you simply tighten it down to lock in the correct height.

Attached photo is prior to having it slightly cut down side by side with the original and with the bushings mounted on the new one.

To remove, I had my bike on my center stand, rear tire off and I secured the rear swingarm with a tie down to keep everything in place while I removed the bolt through the swingarm, similar to #11 on your schematic, but the multistrada swingarm is a little different. Be careful not to drop the bolt into the swingarm if that's possible with your tube style single sided swingarm. I've heard that is a b!tch to get out of it's dropped in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8637.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	943229  

The Dude Abides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode