SW Motech Alu rack for top case - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Barkertodd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2018, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

SW Motech Alu rack for top case

Installed one of these luggage racks on my 2014 Monster 1200 yesterday.
Seems like a solid piece of kit and install was not too bad, although as usual the instructions were not very clear.

It has 2 support arms that bolt to the bike. Ducati kindly provided 4 threaded mounting points under the seat. You have to remove rear turn signals but leave the wires plugged in, remove grab handles, and the plastic undertray. Then you screw in 4 bolts stubs with pointy ends, and reinstall the undertray, push on it to mark where you will drill holes in the tray. Then you remove it and drill. I suggest you only screw those in as far as the need to go to stay put. I had a hard time getting good marks on the tray, ended up with the holes a little off the mark, and took a dremel to it after re installing it to enlarge the holes a bit.

Each support arm bolts to 2 of the holes and there is a spacer to hold it below the bike a little. Almost everything is black, the spacers are silver. Why? It was not clear to me the rear of the 2 bolts holding the grab handles was to be replaced by one of theirs, silver again! I redid that bit of work, re use the original nut.

The only other issue I had was I bolted the support arms up tight then tried to install the rack. The rack was a good inch too wide to bolt up. Huh?
Loosen the 6 bolts on the arms, attach the rack, then go around and tighten this corner, opposite corner, etc. It all bolted up nice finally and looks good. It must be under a fair amount of tension but I guess is OK. Attached a small Givi top case, and now I have a trunk for my junk.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-top-case-rack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3752.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	887593   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3766.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	887601  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2018, 12:20 pm

I will concur on everything mentioned above... The rack install is not traditional, but worked really well, and feels really solid. I’m running a larger top box, but that’s based on my experience of riding across country in 2012 on my 1100evo. People would ask “why a monster, why not a multistrada”... honestly, the monster makes me grin constantly, cant say the same when I rode the Multi. The multi just felt too refined for me. In the end, I call it my Monster-Strada

Current: ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘16 Scrambler Icon
Sold: ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7
Monster4Lee likes this.

'14 Diavel Strada
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2018, 8:39 am

Garage
Very cool graffiti picture - where was that picture taken?

2017 Monster 797
2014 Honda VFR800

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2018, 9:08 am

Out in the middle of the Mojave on Route 66. I was cruising along, saw it in the corner of my eye as I passed, and knew I had to flip a U-turn and grab a pic. I had just seen Moto GP at Laguna a week before, was on my way to Indy to catch the next race, and figured this must be a good omen for my trip across country!

Current: ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘16 Scrambler Icon
Sold: ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

'14 Diavel Strada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode