Monster 1200 can't rev past 7.500 rpm at full throttle - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2017, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Monster 1200 can't rev past 7.500 rpm at full throttle

Hi all, I'm new to Ducati and new this forum. Found this forum when I am searching for solution regarding my bike.

Bought a used 6 month old Monster 1200 base (2014 model) at 750 km. Now my bike already has 5.000 km, accelerator position sensor is already replaced (will tell about it another time), and I have problem.

First my bike can't rev past 8.500 rpm at full throttle. The bike will hesitate and as if the bike hit a soft limiter at around full throttle at 8.500 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear (never tried 5th and 6th). If i reduce the throttle a little, maybe like give it 80-90% throttle, the bike will rev to the limiter. If I give it like 80-90% throttle, and then after i reach 9.500 rpm, then give it 100% throttle, the bike will hesitate again and the rpm will drop slowly.

I brought it to Ducati and after Ducati check the bike, Ducati said a broken rpm sensor, clogged fuel pump filter, and injector need service because there is too much rust and water in my fuel tank. After the rpm sensor is replaced, the fuel filter and tank cleaned, and the injector serviced, Ducati test my bike on dyno. Bike revs fine until limiter (I don't know at full throttle or partial throttle).

Took back the bike from ducati saturday, and I tested the bike this sunday. Now the bike can't rev past 7.500 rpm at full throttle in 3rd and 4th gear. Same problem, can't rev past 7.500 rpm at full throttle, but if I reduce the throttle, the rpm will increase. The exhaust valve is not stucked (already checked and removed the cable).

Never tried to do it at 1st and 2nd gear because I'm affraid I'll wheelie the bike, never tried at 5th and 6th gear because at that gear, the bike will be too fast.

Also the front brake has problem too. If i pull the lever 2 times quickly, the second pull will be shorter. Already bleed the brake and the abs unit, and still has the inconsistent lever pull. The first pull is already short and has great stopping power, it's just the second pull will always be shorter if I pull it again quickly (which many times need to be done when filtering and navigating traffic, and I think the inconsistent lever travel is dangerous).

Any idea? Any sugestion? Really need help here.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2017, 2:48 pm

Clean/replace dirty air filter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2017, 3:39 pm

You say you took it to Ducati and they had to clean a lot of stuff out.
There are several ways of looking at this:

First, the 750km, only 450 miles in 3+ years left a lot of water collecting ethanol in the tank and you aren't through cleaning out the resulting corrosion.
Second, the Ducati shop lied about dynoing the bike.
Third, the problem is TPS related because a misadjustment or malfunction results in exactly the type of running you describe. The third option implies the second, although the likelihood of water corrosion in a bike that is that low mileage is high unless the fuel was drained or non-alcohol fuel was used exclusively, so the work may not have been uncalled for. If they dynoed the bike, you should have a run sheet with the identity of your bike on it as well as the name of the company, date, operator and Make/Model of dyno. It might make redline but the power output would be way down if partial throttle. That's assuming the throttle position wasn't logged.

As far as a plugged air filter, that would certainly reduce full throttle performance but the bike would have had to go through a shit storm in that small amount of mileage to exceed the filter capacity.

2001 Monster S4

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2017, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Actually, the bike is only 1 year old. 2014 model but bought from Ducati in 2016.

The Ducati shop did dyno the bike. They show me the video of the dyno and the rpm hitting the limiter.
They also give me the run sheet. Max power is 131 hp.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2017, 11:47 am Thread Starter

The issue has been solved. It's the fuel pump. In about 1 year and 5.000 km, the fuel tank is very dirty and rusted and the fuel pump is clogged. I don't know its because of the fuel quality in my country or ducati tank quality because in my 2 years I was riding my Yamaha, I never have problem regarding tank rust or clogged fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode