2001 Monster 900 front brake light not working - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2017, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

2001 Monster 900 front brake light not working

I'm new to both bikes and the forum, so not sure if this goes here or the technical forum, but here we are.

Just bought a used 2001 Monster 900 and because I was overexcited I failed to check if all the lights worked (I know, spare me, please). Turns out my brake light doesn't activate when using the front brake. Works fine when using the rear brake.

I don't see any disconnected cables, but I also don't know enough about my bike to know where to look. Thoughts?

And thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2017, 4:47 pm

There are a couple small connectors inside the headlight assembly, just trace them back and make sure they're properly connected Sometimes they vibrate loose.

2003 Monster 800S
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2017, 5:55 pm

And of course the connector at the brake lever assembly that gets knocked off occasionally. The may be redundantly what GoHam was describing but I would start at the lever.

2001 Monster S4

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2017, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the (quick!) reply. Could you be a bit more specific though? Like, what am I looking for? And would I be looking in the headlight casing for the brake light connector?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2017, 9:57 pm

That's a picture of the Monster brake light switch, if you just follow the wire into the harness, tracing along it with your finger, you will find those connectors and you can try carefully using 2 pliers to push the little bullet connectors into each other. Also make sure it's A. actually installed, maybe the previous owner took it off? B. make sure the 2 bolts holding it on haven't gone bad. Unfortunately I'm away in Louisville Kentucky at a music festival otherwise I'd just take some photos of my bike! Maybe someone else can chime in, but can he just jump the wires and see if it light up? Please don't try that before someone checks :X. A new switch is $35, fairly easy to install. Post pics of the new bike, always glad to see 'em.

2003 Monster 800S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode