Stuck shifter and broken bits - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Stuck shifter and broken bits

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, I took the bike out for a short ride. About half way through my shifter got stuck in down position in 3rd gear. I managed to limp it home the meager 5 miles or so (fun at stoplights, let me tell you). Upon further research it seemed the most likely cause was an out of adjustment fork. Unfortunately I opened the case today and found this instead;

Obviously, the lack of a spring caused this jam up.

I took a quick look and didn't see any obvious damage to what I can see of the gears, but what I am not sure of is where other metal pieces could float off to? I didn't see any chunks when draining the oil, nor on the magnet. It is reasonable to expect all the pieces to have stayed in the stator side of the case?

Now for repair, obviously I need a spring, but thought I read somewhere that the whole fork mechanism was updated from the factory. Can anybody shed light on this?

The previous owner said it fell off the kickstand at one point. Since it has an aftermarket shift lever, I assume the original was bent. I assume that this could be a reason why the spring failed? The bike only has 2k miles on it.

Thanks for any input.
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 11:03 pm

What bike? Shifter spring failure is not uncommon. I experienced this on my 2012 Monster 1100 EVO and I'm the original owner and it has never been dropped.

It is very unlikely that it caused any other damage. Much like your situation the broken pieces of spring just fell out when I cracked and removed the stator cover.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Ok, good to know. This was on my 2009 Monster 696.

Did you have any damage to the gears or other?

Did you just replace the spring or the whole mechanism? Did you use any "upgraded" parts? I see this mentioned quite a bit, but never specific parts or part numbers that were upgraded by the factory.

Thanks for the info,
Rob

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that at the time of the failure, I got an error code for the pickup sensor. It looks undamaged, so I am guessing that a piece of the spring floated by messed up the reading. Did this happen on yours?

Last edited by robf; Apr 21st, 2014 at 12:59 pm.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robf View Post
Ok, good to know. This was on my 2009 Monster 696.

Did you have any damage to the gears or other?

Did you just replace the spring or the whole mechanism? Did you use any "upgraded" parts? I see this mentioned quite a bit, but never specific parts or part numbers that were upgraded by the factory.

Thanks for the info,
Rob

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that at the time of the failure, I got an error code for the pickup sensor. It looks undamaged, so I am guessing that a piece of the spring floated by messed up the reading. Did this happen on yours?
I was a few blocks from my house when mine broke. I rode the bike home in 2nd gear and parked it. I could not get neutral or 1st gear and the lever would move but would not return.

I had no error codes and no other damage. As long as the pieces didn't get into any of the gears around the flywheel you should be fine. Just inspect the gears you can see for damage. You have to drain the oil to do this repair anyway so I would also replace the filter and put in new oil.

I just replaced the spring with a new spring from Ducati. They are only $10 or so. I ordered 2 of each of the springs on the shift arm so I have spares in case this happens again. By the way, the torque for that flywheel nut is 277nm and you must use high temp red Loctite on it. You will need an impact wrench to get that nut off and you'll need the flywheel holding tool from Ducati to torque it properly. Or you can just use the torque wrench to tighten it back on (I did this but ended up taking it back apart to do it correctly). I'm not sure where you live but I'd let you use the tool if you live in the San Diego area and promise to return it. Some places rent Ducati specific tools depending on where you live. For the gasket material I used a tube of Three Bond 1215. You can buy the Ducati Bond gasket sealant from the dealer but it is $36 for a 50g tube and it says right on the tube that it is Three Bond 1215 (which cost about $20 for a 10 oz tube online).

As for the springs themselves, I don't know of any aftermarket solutions and I doubt that Ducati has improved the springs at all because a guy I work with had the same thing happen to him on his 2003 Multistrada 1000DS.

Link to the other thread I posted about my broken shifter return spring.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monst...rn-spring.html

Last edited by SDRider; Apr 21st, 2014 at 3:23 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

When say I upgraded parts, I mean, Ducati updated parts either to replace faulty parts or a faulty design. I will see if I can dig up the reference that mentioned it. How many pieces did your spring end up in? As you can see mine was in several. I would think without going through the gears, it should 2 or 3 larger pieces.

I am curious why you picked up the second spring? Are these known to fail too? Or you just figured guilty by association?

A more general question, what would keep the chunks from making their way into the engine or gearbox? DOes the oil from the stator side return directly the filter or screen?

The (sort of) good news is that I was planning to change the oil and filter anyway
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 3:16 pm

Like SDRider sayed, replace the spring, adjust the fork an you're good to go. Most likely it wil never happen again if you make sure the fork is right on.

10 1198S midnight black
08 1100S red Multistrada
01 750SSie (sold)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 3:30 pm

Quote:
When say I upgraded parts, I mean, Ducati updated parts either to replace faulty parts or a faulty design. I will see if I can dig up the reference that mentioned it. How many pieces did your spring end up in? As you can see mine was in several. I would think without going through the gears, it should 2 or 3 larger pieces.

I am curious why you picked up the second spring? Are these known to fail too? Or you just figured guilty by association?

A more general question, what would keep the chunks from making their way into the engine or gearbox? DOes the oil from the stator side return directly the filter or screen?

The (sort of) good news is that I was planning to change the oil and filter anyway
My bike is 3 years newer than yours. Here is a picture of mine with the stator cover and flywheel removed.

My spring was in 2 pieces, it was the lower spring on my bike that broke. Once you remove what is left of the spring just put the pieces together and make sure you aren't missing any fragments. It looks like yours might have gotten tangled up in the gears and broken into many smaller pieces.

I've heard that both springs are prone to failure so I just figured it was cheap insurance to just replace them both. The smaller spring that goes farther up the shifter arm is $7. I have a spare for each one in my tool box.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Ah, so your bottom spring broke? Mine was the spring at the "knee". I will know more when I get the flywheel off. I think I might replace the entire arm mechanism in case it was damaged with the PO dropped it (and who knows what else). I have read up about the adjustments as this is all I had hoped to do.

Here is a thread that talked about an "update kit"
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hyper...ver-stuck.html
More specifically these posts:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/890469-post57.html
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/1158566-post71.html

Thanks for the input so far.
-Rob

Last edited by robf; Apr 21st, 2014 at 5:35 pm.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 12:42 am

Quote:
Ah, so your bottom spring broke? Mine was the spring at the "knee". I will know more when I get the flywheel off. I think I might replace the entire arm mechanism in case it was damaged with the PO dropped it (and who knows what else). I have read up about the adjustments as this is all I had hoped to do.

Here is a thread that talked about an "update kit"
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hyper...ver-stuck.html
More specifically these posts:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/890469-post57.html
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/1158566-post71.html

Thanks for the input so far.
-Rob
Updated some info related to the same problem...

So the service bulletin for this problem is SVC-09-009
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Xx...SWs/edit?pli=1
NHTSA: Action Number: 10029886
Ducati Service Bulletin Number: 253847

The part number you need is a kit: P/N 69924492A
Retail price is $47.50 at Pro Italia or Omaha Ducati

The other item Hattar installed was P/N 18010081A, the replacement control fork. Retail price is $25.43 at Omaha Ducati

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hyper...ml#post3782546

Last edited by protokultur; May 25th, 2014 at 12:58 am.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:44 am

Shifter Fork

On my S4RS I had the same problem. I have aftermarket rearsets and I was told the angle on the shifting linkage forces the shifting fork to over rotate on the barrel and then it locks up.

I did not know how to do the repair and had my local shop do the work. It was three hours and about $100 in parts and the bike shifts very nice now.

1998 900 FE #179, 2004 ST3, 2007 S4RS Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode