Picking up my Monster! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Picking up my Monster!

Hi All,

I've been quietly looking around the Monster section for a few months trying to convince myself that I need a commuter bike. I have a 998 but I don't really want to use that for commuting. In any case, I'm picking up a Monster this weekend from Arizona (I live in San Jose, CA) and riding it back on Sunday.

I'm pretty pumped about it but it's going to be a long and boring ride back. Does anyone have any interesting Monster "tips or quirks" that I should be aware of? I'm hoping for a nice, easy, uneventful ride back but I plan on stopping here and there and riding around the LA area as well. I'll take some pictures as I go along so I hope I see something more interesting than flat lands.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to gettig it and then being more active in this forum.

Have a fun, safe weekend everyone.

Aleks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 12:24 pm
mad

Cool! ENjoy! What flavor monster?

'08 ZX14 and '02 ZRX1200R
...previous Ducatis now sold... '05 999 and '02 ST4S
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

I'm picking up a 2000 Monster 900. I wanted a Yellow one but this one is red with about 5300 miles and it looks pretty clean. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out well and I have a fun trip back.

I have a feeling it won't be all that comfortable though.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Remember, lift with your legs

Enjoy!!
Just remember that modding is an incureable disease.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman851
Remember, lift with your legs

Enjoy!!
Just remember that modding is an incureable disease.
Hahaha... okay so I'm slow. It took me a few seconds to get that one....lift with your legs he says... How about "I'm taking delivery on a used Monster"? With regards to the modding, I hear ya. I don't want to buy anything for the bike but I never buy a bike and do nothing to it. There's always something and I think there are so many things to do to a Monster that I'll be infected quickly. I'm already looking at what people have done to theirs.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 6:46 pm

Just havin fun

How much you wanna spend?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsquid
Hahaha... okay so I'm slow. It took me a few seconds to get that one....lift with your legs he says... How about "I'm taking delivery on a used Monster"? With regards to the modding, I hear ya. I don't want to buy anything for the bike but I never buy a bike and do nothing to it. There's always something and I think there are so many things to do to a Monster that I'll be infected quickly. I'm already looking at what people have done to theirs.

Congratulations on the new to you monster. There are plenty you can mod on the monster. Be sure to stay away from the carbon fiber, it doesn't hold up to well when it comes in contact with anything solid!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 12:17 am

Good luck w/ your new monster. Keep us posted and upload some pics when you find the opportunity.

2002 Ducati 900 Sport
Power Commander III
CF Remus Low Mount
Ducati Performance Air Filter and Lid
SM Kukri Pressure Plate, SM 5 Spoke Cover, & SM Black Spring Retainers
Sargent Seat Sport Skinz
TPO Crankcase Breather Filter
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 1:51 am

Aleks,

You probably don't need the advice, but I was gonna suggest doing a very careful "preflight" and systematically checking everything you can think of before starting out. But, I see that your ride was yesterday! Hope you had a good trip.

Bob
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I made it back home and the Monster performed FLAWLESSLY the entire trip. I did a quick pre-flight check while I was out in Arizona and everything I looked at appeared to be in top shape. I'm actually surprised at how fun (for a mostly boring route) the ride was overall.

I left Phoenix at 7am on Sunday and went across 10 and got a room in Pasadena. I got a room at a Super 8 and then hung out with friends at the Yardhouse (i didn't ride there) for drinks. I slept fairly well that night and headed out around 8am on Monday morning.

The trip was nice and uneventful which was good. However....on the way in to work this morning I was introduced to Ducati ownership. The nut that holds the bolt for the shift rod and shift lever backed out and the two seperated. I went to shift and all of a sudden I couldn't even find the shifter. It was amusing but I was less than a mile from home so I limped back (in 3rd) and after 20 minutes I found a bolt and nut that would fit. Once I reattached the rod and shift lever I was on my way to work.

I'm glad it happened this morning and not during the trip but that didn't change anything for me. I LOVE THIS BIKE! It doesn't have the "full bodied sound" that my 998 has but it's a much better commuter and it feels more agile and quick steering - which I like. The biggest PLUS for me is that I can put both feet on the ground (I'm vertically challenged).

I took some pics at home and I'll post them when I get back home but here is a picture of the bike I got from the P.O.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Il Monstro.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	15383  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode