5spd convert to 6spd - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

5spd convert to 6spd

In another thread i started asking about importing a bimota there is a yb8 in japan that has a 6spd trans instead of the 5spd. Does any one know how hard it is to switch between the 5 and 6 spd trans? do they have different cases, bearings, etc?

Jon

2001 996 SPS #899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsracing View Post
In another thread i started asking about importing a bimota there is a yb8 in japan that has a 6spd trans instead of the 5spd. Does any one know how hard it is to switch between the 5 and 6 spd trans? do they have different cases, bearings, etc?
I converted my YB10 to 6 speed. OWO1 trans works if you want close ratio as well as the yzf750 I believe. No case mods. You can get the (KIT)tanny's for under 1K now. Only down side is they are not as tough as the 5 speed. I started the process because I wanted 6 gears like all my other bikes, then it went out of control. Since the case was split, might as well do the crank. Then might as well do rods. Then pistons,cams,spring,porting, D-shaped exhaust ports, clutch hub, studs,cable clutch and so on. Be careful it's only the tranny you want Engine mods in 1994 were $12K. That didn't include flatslides, exhaust, bigger radiator etc. But 172HP at the wheel and 422lb wet weight was pretty awesome 16 years ago.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSB8 View Post
I converted my YB10 to 6 speed. OWO1 trans works if you want close ratio as well as the yzf750 I believe. No case mods. You can get the (KIT)tanny's for under 1K now. Only down side is they are not as tough as the 5 speed. I started the process because I wanted 6 gears like all my other bikes, then it went out of control. Since the case was split, might as well do the crank. Then might as well do rods. Then pistons,cams,spring,porting, D-shaped exhaust ports, clutch hub, studs,cable clutch and so on. Be careful it's only the tranny you want Engine mods in 1994 were $12K. That didn't include flatslides, exhaust, bigger radiator etc. But 172HP at the wheel and 422lb wet weight was pretty awesome 16 years ago.
Yeah, I get into the 'well, since I have X open, I might as well do Y' scene myself from time to time. As Everet Dirksen once said, "a million here, a million there, pretty soon you are talking real money." Also, remember the sign outside the speed shop in the first Mad Max movie? "How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?"

Yep, been there, done that too many times myself. Dave

Time Wounds All Heels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode