2nd 12000 mile service with fun!!!!! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:28 am Thread Starter

2nd 12000 mile service with fun!!!!!

So here's my thing I did my 2nd 12k service today and I love it to death. first of all no adjustments had to be made and second its a DUC!!!!! Couple of question about it though. First question are there a lot of people going to the dealer for this or are a lot of people doing it themselves???? I don't think it is a crazy check and I encourage people to do it because I saved myself probably about $1000 today and it was well worth it. I love the feeling of tearing down the Duc to nothing and rebuilding it and going for a ride. First thing I noticed was 3rd gear, Came up like a 1098, snapped into 3rd and it came straight up like nothing I mean it is a sport tourer but it is a Ducati so I expected it but hey the saddle bags threw a lot of people off Just wondering if anybody had the same experience as me and if anybody needs help please call me I have a lot of tools and live in the tri state area.

Pete,

2004 Monster 800ie
2004 ST3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster800 View Post
So here's my thing I did my 2nd 12k service today and I love it to death. First question are there a lot of people going to the dealer for this or are a lot of people doing it themselves????
Pete,

One of the most satisfying things I have found is exactly what you express taking a ST apart and putting it back together and going down the road. I just did a nice 400 mile day with the DESMO group in the tri-state area (if you don't belong, you might consider it: http://www.desmoducati.org/index.html) and I was surprised that most of the riders really don't work on their bikes themselves. Actually, surprised is a mild approximation of my response, closer to flabbergasted is the truth. Nice people, but so many of them are just not really interested in Duc guts.

Carry on, my man!

Ron

2005 999s Hephaistos polumetis
2003 ST4s ABS Senna Petrarca peregrinus ubique
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:02 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Yup, it seems most are willing to pay others to get that kind of joy. Putting on 10,000 or more every year would suck if someone else was turning the wrenches.

To me, considering scheduling, prep, waiting, delivery, and pickup, not to mention being without your bike, half the time that is needed to do a valve check is already spent.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster800 View Post
So here's my thing I did my 2nd 12k service today and I love it to death. first of all no adjustments had to be made and second its a DUC!!!!! Couple of question about it though. First question are there a lot of people going to the dealer for this or are a lot of people doing it themselves???? I don't think it is a crazy check and I encourage people to do it because I saved myself probably about $1000 today and it was well worth it. I love the feeling of tearing down the Duc to nothing and rebuilding it and going for a ride. First thing I noticed was 3rd gear, Came up like a 1098, snapped into 3rd and it came straight up like nothing I mean it is a sport tourer but it is a Ducati so I expected it but hey the saddle bags threw a lot of people off Just wondering if anybody had the same experience as me and if anybody needs help please call me I have a lot of tools and live in the tri state area.

Pete,

2004 Monster 800ie
2004 ST3
I want to try it myself but I am reaaaaally intimidated about doing it by myself the first time. Anyone in NC that does their own and is willing to let me watch you do yours will get free beer and a cleaned shop out of it.

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

2002 Ducati ST4S
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Garage
I agree totally Monster800........but its been two years since my last valve check and I still have 3000km to get to the 20000km check....
So for me its a wole new learning experience everytime, well not quite. I guess I better get out there and put some miles on the clock. 3500km's a year is pretty poor.

03 ST4s ABS - 03 Moto Guzzi Cafe Sport
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Just finished myself

Just finished a complete service myself.Great feeling firing the bike up for the first time and thinking about those new belts whirling around. I have always looked after all of my own maintenance(kaw gpz550, kawi zx7, vfr750f, bandit 400 and must say I was a little intimidated at first but once you are into it the demso is a work of art. Just gather the correct tools and get at it. PS.take your time and follow the advise of others.

Redbandit91
06 ST3 Red DP Exhaust + Extras
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 8:45 am

Hey Monster800,

I totaly get you. I never used to slave on my cars or bikes until just last year, always afraid I would screw something up.

Here's the deal, dig in but do your homework. get a manual and ask real mechanics questions. last fall I did the full service on my 02 748R and stood as far away as I could when I pushed the start button. What a wonderful sound to heare the beast blast to life knowing I did it all right.
Just did my Matrix 998 and the next day road it 600 miles. I am a perfectionist in my trade (kinda has to be that way) so, I take a long time to make sure each clearance is perfect. saved my self a load of $ and feel more a part of the whole experiance..It takes a while to make it perfect but is worth it or sure.

Go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode