Projector headlights/ HID - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 1:58 am Thread Starter

Projector headlights/ HID

Just thinking about the projector low beam on the ST2/4 models. It has a reflector and a lens/cover in front of it, as does the Multistrada headlight and many automotive.
The 749/999 has a projector high and low beam with no reflector or lens/cover in front of it. Any input into the differences design/function wise, and or effectiveness.
How about Taftonomous, how did his conversion work out?
The HID install I did on the ST2[reflector improvement also] worked out very well so far.
Just looking for input, conversation, possible options, thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 9:57 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
There was discussion somewhere from folks who are strickly opposed to HID installs. They noted that projectors designed for incandescent bulbs were substantially different than those designed for HIDs from the start.

While I agree that HIDs installed in low beam reflector headlights are dangerous, I had the opportunity to sample several cars and bikes now that have HIDs installed behind what were halogen projectors. Coming from the opposite direction on a road, they appear no different than an OEM HID installation.

For this reason, I will be installing a low beam HID on my ST before the short days arrive this Fall. Even if the design is not optimal, it is a definite improvement over the stock setup, which I don't find to be 'deplorable' but could have been much better.

My big question in all this is the beam splitter. I simply hate it in a motorcycle application, HID or not. In the ST's case, it is set too low. When adjusted for decent forward lighting and leaned over lighting, the high beam is pointed mostly toward the sky. For this reason, I'm currently planning to eliminate it for the HID install.

I will point the hot spot more to the ground than now such that the high beam would then be set correctly. This should allow the low beam to be good for folks coming the other way. My big worry is for folks that I am following.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)

Last edited by tonered; Jun 25th, 2010 at 10:04 am.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

I posted earlier when I did the HID, included some photos of the reflector surrounding the halogen bulb, check it out. had a second one polished, huge difference, consider it.
I think cutting about 1/16th" off the cut off plate would be the way to go. Wish I had done it, but it stills is wourlds better now.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 10:41 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
I remember that post. Lots of good info in there. I will look into that. I'm going to be up in the air until I actually get in there, which with the plug-n-play nature of the HID, might be quite a while after.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode