To wrap or not to wrap..... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

To wrap or not to wrap.....

I picked up a DP Performance upgrade (Exhaust, ECU & Airbox) for my 2007 ST3 that I should be getting in a week or so. I am really thinking about wrapping the pipes with the black Thermo Tec exhaust wrap before having them installed. I have to admit that a big part of the decision is cosmetic...I really like the look of the black wrapped pipes. Of course, it would also be nice to reduce the heat coming off the pipes on those hot SOCAL days and possibility of gaining a pony or two is always a plus.

I've researched the threads and found some, like George in Dallas, who loves his but others are not nearly as convinced. I ABSOLUTELY don't want to do anything that would cause any potential damage to the bike.

I thought I would pose the question to the forum. Your thoughts on this are appreciated. As always, thanks for taking the time to reply.

FC Norton
AMA Member
2007 ST3 - Red

"I have not a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming vices."
Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Wrapping headers

I've wrapped headers on my GMC 1/2 ton, and on a couple of sleds. I didn't do it for the extra ponies, since I really didn't notice any advantage. Probably an average Joe wouldn't expect and increase in power.

The main reason I wrapped the pipes was for heat protection. On the GMC, the headers melted some poorly placed wire harnesses (not by me, of course). I liked the look and I especially like the look of the electrical harness that didn't melt!

In the Great White North, we really don't have an issue with heat. Hey, we're up here cheering for Global Warming! Bring it on!

Cosmetics is as good a reason as any to wrap your pipes!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 7:33 am

I've never done it myself, but the cons I've *heard* about for other bikes I've owned with in-line fours are that the wrap traps water if riding in the rain and could promote rust, (apparently some stainless steels can rust) and that the header pipes can get so hot they deform. I can't verify either.

Regards,

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 7:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder View Post
I've never done it myself, but the cons I've *heard* about for other bikes I've owned with in-line fours are that the wrap traps water if riding in the rain and could promote rust, (apparently some stainless steels can rust) and that the header pipes can get so hot they deform. I can't verify either.
Yeah, if you put more than the recommended layer on, it can trap too much heat and make the pipes glow. Low quality stainless steel can get rusty. Because our pipes are exposed to the elements, the wrap gets abused after a while and looks bad. It is a good idea, old school really, and cheaper than ceramic coating, but just be prepared to replace it once in a while.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 7:43 am

Wrapped pipes look cool on fair weather, show or drag bikes. But once exposed to the elements (like you would on an ST) end up looking like shit, IMO.
I would stay away from it. But I guess if things start looking ratty, you could always take it off.

Mike | '03 ST4s -->sold<--
AMA - 262640

Last edited by Kramer; Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:20 am.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 8:11 am

I'd wrap them, not for more power or appearance, but to reduce the amount of heat the rear shock is exposed to. Any water traped in or under the wrap will rapidly turn to steam and evaporate.

'05 ST3
'90 906 Paso
It's not just a Ducati, it's a disease!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 9:00 am

After a few months....Wrapped looks like Crap . Do a search on cermaic coating, not JetHot but true ceramic. Significant cooling, enhanced exhaust gas flow and durable. The only draw back to some may be cost $150-$250

There are several color choices available if your interested

Ride Safe - Have Fun
Steve
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 9:10 am

If I were going to wrap my headers, I'd go ceramic. Not only is it permanent, I feel it would look better on our sexy Italian beauties.

I keep hearing plenty of negative reasons, but none seem very plausible. I'd like to reduce the heat in the summer as well, but every winter it feels nice.

Every time this subject comes up, I walk away frustrated and end up doing nothing! Does anyone have 1st hand experience with ceramic coating for the long term? I mean specifically with a motorcycle that is actually ridden for extended periods of time in the heat? I can't imagine it won't help with the heat issue, buy at what cost? More heat to the cans, etc.?

I would even be willing to buy an extra set for winter and summer use.

2004 ST3 "Red"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 9:10 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I'll jump in here too... I wrapped the pipes on my old SS. My experience is the same as others here. The horizontal pipe looked like crap fast, especially where it bends away from the head and runs along the bottom to the crossover. I scrapped a speed bump and it basically unraveled. It was only on for a few months before I took it off. When off, I saw the mess it made on my pipes. I did it for the heat reduction. I dont think it made that much of a difference to be honest. Not that great of a mod on a bike if you ask me. If I ever do anything to mitigate heat on the ST, it will be the ceramic coating.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 9:15 am
Banned

In theory, insulating the exhaust pipes on a motorcycle should give more benefit than doing that on a car. The reason is because the pipes on a motorcycle are subject to a lot more air flow, which cools them off much more so than in a car. So, doing something to insulate the pipes should be high on everyone's list of things to do. The fact that our pipes are exposed is one of the drawbacks for using header wrap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode