Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

ST3 Closer Spring

581 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Janky59 
#1 ·
Sometime between my last service in Dec. ‘18 to the service this month my Duc dealer found a exhaust closer/helper spring had broken. It was on the vertical cylinder.
I didn’t notice any change in sound, running, etc. so nothing clued me in it had broken. Current mileage is 27,020.
They retrieved the stray finger from the oil screen, glad it was doing its job. Interesting it made its way there without causing any havoc.
Something else for reference; the current Ducati replacement is a two piece spring it seems. They didn’t realize this and only ordered “half” the parts to do the job. So it took an extra week, but no complaints here. Thought you guys might like to see the hardware.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
IIRC they started with 2 springs on the exhaust and then switched to 1 stiffer spring. The early soft springs would alow for poor low rpm running and if a spring breaks you get the same effect. Rare to happen but I do stock a exhaust spring... just in case for when they no longer make them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.