Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Better Gearing ST3

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  dennisht@comcast.net 
#1 ·
2005 ST3. Stock geared too high, bike not smooth. Cannot find thread addressing ST3 only that states what is best tooth count on rear sprocket to increase revs to stop lugging, shuttering problems. I have 15/42 stock set up. Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
IME, changing from stock ECU to e-bay DP knock-off chip made the most difference in stumbling at low RPMs. Meaning a good tune will probably be more effective.

That said, my ST2 was 15/42 stock. I went up one in the rear to 15/43 and noticed a subtle improvement. This was after the chip, though.

#4 ·
Probably an error , but thought standard was 14/42 .... regardless been running 15/43 for several years now and much smoother at lower revs... seem to remember a thread a few years ago dealing with this maybe 20011-13 ?

#8 ·
Stock is/was 15/42.

Use the website https://www.gearingcommander.com/ to see what effects changing the sprockets are on rpm and speed.

I ended up with 15/43. Perfect for the riding that I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike,

Please provide a little background on the riding you like to do. For me it's riding across town to go up I24 into the mountains west of CS. After that I'm in twisties linked by straight to slightly curvy stretches of 1-3 miles. Typical speed limits range between 35 to 55 with me, ahem, going a tad over the limit.

I sometimes go north on I25 where the speed limit's 75 and most cager's are doing 85-90. I use my ST3's 6th gear here but find that I need to keep my speed up to at least 85 otherwise the ST3 seems to be lugging. In general I'm pleased with the bike's performance but like most everyone here wouldn't mind a perkier bike. :)

#6 ·
i run 15/43 on them, unless someone wants to slow themselves down, then 14/43.

is it a 2005 or 2006 model year bike? 2006 is closed loop, so flashing to be open can make a very big difference to them. if 2005 maybe it just needs to be set up right. st3 should be nice down the 1,500 rpm or so tooling around.

#7 ·
Another vote for 15/43

I came into the 15/43 camp sort of by chance. When it came time for new chain + sprockets 42 teeth was out of stock but 43 was available so I went for it. A subtle difference, mostly noticeable when leaving stoplights and such. Maybe a couple hundred rpm higher at cruising speeds, YMMV.

#9 ·
For me it’s back roads 98% of the time. Very rarely will I slab it. I’ll tool about with my wife on the back doing 10-15 above. I’ll keep the rpms between 4,000 and 5,000. At the NECM we were without significant others, and “allowed” ourselves to stretch the pony’s legs a little bit, 5,000 to 6,000 rpm on the mountain passes and back country roads of Vermont. Any less and we couldn’t keep up with Flynnmon and Chuckracer. Someone said maybe doubling suggested speeds, but I wasn’t gonna take the time to look at the gauges...so I’ll never tell ;-) )

#10 ·
For me it’s back roads 98% of the time. Very rarely will I slab it. I’ll tool about with my wife on the back doing 10-15 above. I’ll keep the rpms between 4,000 and 5,000. At the NECM we were without significant others, and “allowed” ourselves to stretch the pony’s legs a little bit, 5,000 to 6,000 rpm on the mountain passes and back country roads of Vermont. Any less and we couldn’t keep up with Flynnmon and Chuckracer. Someone said maybe doubling suggested speeds, but I wasn’t gonna take the time to look at the gauges...so I’ll never tell ? )

...how come my ears are ringing...

#16 ·
The change in rpm is subtle going from 42 to 43. Maybe 400 rpm or so. Just enough to notice better performance in traffic (prevalent here in southern NE). I don’t have to skip the clutch as much. Also a little better off the line.

You can try the different ratios in Gearing Commander and see effect on rpm at different speeds.

#17 ·
I ended up putting on the 43 tooth rear sprocket and am pleased with the results. Noticed slightly less surging in lower gears in traffic and just a crispier response and motor did not lug down anymore right at the 3k rpm. Not a huge difference but enough to make me happy and improved my ride on the bike and a step in the right direction. Bought the JTR745 43 (525 chain size) model for $36 bucks at my local Honda dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.