PR5s - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2019, 10:43 am Thread Starter
Mr Leakered

Garage
PR5s

Initial thoughts.

Sorry, I know there was another thread, but I'm being a bit lazy.

I had a set of PR5s in the crawl space for a few months waiting for the PR4s to give up the ghost. With the end of summer approaching, I gave up the wait.

Holy shitsnacks.

I would say, and still agree, that the PR4s were just as good at the end as they were new. But holy fuck, these PR5s have robotic grip.

They remind me of the Bridgestones that we had on our cars (RE960AS pole positions). I had to back off the steering a bit because turn-in was so sharp. Tire tech is amazing.

When leaned over, it almost feels like the tires are thrusting inward a bit.

Also, I tossed on some MotoScience mirrors. I don't know why I waited so long. They're everything the stock one are not.

Have a good one.
scott, DucJB and Yorik like this.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
Initial thoughts.

I had to back off the steering a bit because turn-in was so sharp. Tire tech is amazing.

When leaned over, it almost feels like the tires are thrusting inward a bit.
I'm glad you said that, I thought it was just me. I had been through a couple of sets of PR4s - I really like them and would have got some again, but couldn't get hold of any so found some 5's that were actually cheaper. First couple of corners I thought "shit, this is dropping in a lot more.... maybe I'll get used to it". So I waited the prescribed micro second to no avail and decided to drop the rear down (adjust the ride height rod) - it now feels the same as previous. I was wondering if the front to rear tyre circumference ratios had changed , or maybe the profile? The rear definately felt high...
tonered likes this.

Barry, Auckland New Zealand
1997 ST2
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 9:04 am Thread Starter
Mr Leakered

Garage
In the garage, I roll my bike around on a Park-n-Move. Usually with a new set of tires, I don't have any issues moving it, even with the adjusted ride height. In this case, the rear tire is scrubbing on the floor. So, they might have steepened the profile?

Have a good one.
bchatt likes this.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:37 pm

I'm on my second set of PR5s since switching from Pirelli's AGTs.

IMO the front is magical for a sport tour tire. Feedback and grip is phenomenal. The AGTs were great, but the front feel of the PR5s puts it in another league for me. I think the carbon black shoulders on both front and back helps.

Scott L.
tonered likes this.

2006 ST3
Maryville, Tennessee
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
In the garage, I roll my bike around on a Park-n-Move. Usually with a new set of tires, I don't have any issues moving it, even with the adjusted ride height. In this case, the rear tire is scrubbing on the floor. So, they might have steepened the profile?

Have a good one.
Can't you just look up the circumference for that make/model of tire? That should eliminate any questions.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 8:22 pm

The rear tire outside rubber is softer, wears more quickly than the 4s in my experience. Anyone else experiencing that?

Paul

15 675RX
03 ST4s
96 ZX-11
76 KZ900-LTD
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2019, 9:02 am Thread Starter
Mr Leakered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanesmatb View Post
I'm on my second set of PR5s since switching from Pirelli's AGTs.

IMO the front is magical for a sport tour tire. Feedback and grip is phenomenal. The AGTs were great, but the front feel of the PR5s puts it in another league for me. I think the carbon black shoulders on both front and back helps.

Scott L.
The ASTs were some of my favorite tires. I ran a few sets. But, I hated the AGTs in the wet. They were sliding on everything including bare pavement, so anything was an improvement for me. Although, it might have just been the set that I got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Can't you just look up the circumference for that make/model of tire? That should eliminate any questions.
Honestly, that is not worth the effort as the cross section shape is more important to me. We can't really compare that outside of what the manufacturers tell us. It just feels like a great tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACABADA View Post
The rear tire outside rubber is softer, wears more quickly than the 4s in my experience. Anyone else experiencing that?
I wish that I could say that outside wear was a problem for me, but around here the good corners are few or far away. I have about five good corners on my commute and to hit them hard enough to get on the outer edge means some really high speeds and no traffic. Sometimes, I get that opportunity. I have minimal chicken strips on my old sets, but most of my riding has less corners that I like.

The PR3s and PR4s were 2CT tires also. I only had PR4s for three sets and never wore the side worse than the center. I am expecting the same on these.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 10:29 am Thread Starter
Mr Leakered

Garage
Final note from me on these for now.

I was a bit psychotic in the past and rode in the worst weather that was thrown at me, including snow, and on a couple crazy occasions, ice. Since giving up the two bike life a few years back, I dialed back the bad weather riding. I've gone soft. With this, I have given up commuting in the rain and will only ride in the wet when out on tour. So when I accidentally ran through a bit of rain on one of my favorite roads after mounting the PR5s, I sort of discounted the excellent wet corning feel and didn't mention it above. Again today, I ran through some wet corners and I would be lying to myself if I didn't say that it felt like dry corners.

The PR4s were the best in the wet that I had other than the fun of a third wheel on the long gone sidecar. There is just something more to these PR5s.

I'm not going to let that go to my head and am not likely to get much more experience in the wet unless necessary. With the bike's age, I am more likely to haul it for a trip, than tour on it.

Have a good one.
Lanesmatb likes this.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Enjoying the tire discussion. Could anybody give any type of comparison between the Road5 and the Continental Road Attack 3?

I've ridden PR 2,3, and 4. They're great in the wet, but I didn't much care for the numb feedback and sluggish handling. I've got Q3s on the ST4s now, looking for my next wet tire. My priority is wet grip, feedback, and handling.
tonered likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2019, 9:19 pm

I'm on 3rd set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's, handle great in wet, dry and hold there own on a track day(on an '02 ST4S). They usually offer decent rebates for tire purchase and extra for any other service performed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode