Timing Belt Tension - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2019, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Timing Belt Tension

2005 ST3 - Can you use the allen #5 go and the #6 no go procedure in adjusting the timing belts? I do not have a Mathesis nor do I quite understand LT Snyder's procedure of using fingers to squeeze belts to establish 45 degree deflection for proper tension. Thanks - bike very new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Download n-track tuner to your phone or pad. I was Leary of it until I did it. Itís free and even I could figure it out. As far as the Allen wrench method it too works fine. Also usable was my Harley drive belt tension gauge which is set up for the same tension as a Ducati cam belt. It cast about $10 at a HD dealer. The tension really just ends up being ď snug, no slack ď as Iíve set new belts that way and when I checked tension it was close to the spec. You donít need to go really tight when cold because the belts get much tighter on a warm engine, so if you take the slack out and torque the tensioners youíre really good to go.
tonered likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2019, 7:40 pm

horizontal belt on a ds/3 is tighter at the spec than the hex key method will give.

know all wanker

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Check it when the motor is hot and tell me if there is any way in hell it could jump a tooth.

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Check it when the motor is hot and tell me if there is any way in hell it could jump a tooth.
is that directed at me?

know all wanker
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 4:20 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Yes it was, but anyone is welcome to answer any question I pose, as usual. The basic idea I was posing is that being adjusted right on the money is good but close is perfectly acceptable.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 4:47 pm

have you done a belt replacement on a ds / 3v motor?

know all wanker
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 6:47 pm

Garage
It is less a matter of jumping a tooth as it is overloading the bearing and overheating it. I have seen far more 1000/1100/st3 motors eat bearings than any other ducati to date. Simply put you SHOULD NEVER USE A ALLEN KEY ON THESE MOTORS well that's my opinion so take it for what its worth. A Hz reading is going to be much safer as the safe zone with this belt geometry has the least about of room for error.

I have had customers use the allen method and jump time as it is too loose on a cold motor. But if you go too tight you risk a bearing failure and that's no good either. A HZ reading and you will be able to get much closer to the spec and not be guessing. There are free programs as mentioned so there should be no reason for little money you cannot do it right. If you are unsure get it done by a pro. and have them show you how.

The Allen method IS safe for some models but the fact is it is not safe for ALL models. I know as I adjust belts on All models and use both the allen method AND a HZ meter. Use the right tool for the job.
tonered, cs363 and Rex Coil 7 like this.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 6:50 pm

i keep the idler bearings in stock now, just for the number i need to replace on the 696 - 1100 series. that way it doesn't hold me up.

i wonder if the header going past puts any more heat in than normal?

know all wanker
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2019, 7:01 pm

Garage
It can't help putting Harley exhausts on a Ducati but the problem was there before the exhaust was close. I think the geometry of the tensioners was simply too sensitive to deal with the amount of engine dimension growth during a heat cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in