Raise footpegs on a 1997 ST2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By flynnmon
  • 1 Post By flynnmon
  • 1 Post By Stick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2019, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Raise footpegs on a 1997 ST2

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and have searched for this, but if I've missed another thread about this, please do send me a link!

I have a 1997 ST2 that I am modifying for use on the track. Last track day I kept scraping my right footpeg on the ground. It was a problem as the bike did a wobble every time it made contact. Since it is a sport touring bike the footpegs are quite low and I am looking for the best way to raise them up a bit. I am thinking to the height an SS of about the same age (there is one in the garage to compare with).

On the left side I thought I could shorten the bracket (or make a shorter bracket) holding the peg and the shifter and move the whole thing to the height I want. On the right, raising the footpeg that same way will create too much space between the peg and the brake. Is the solution raising the pegs and buying a longer break pedal lever?

Any tips and suggestions are very welcome on any part of the process! I mean, it's this or getting another bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2019, 1:27 am

Garage
It doesn't list a 1997 model, but maybe you can modify your bike to take these

https://www.slingshotracing.net/cata...gs-p-1029.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2019, 8:58 am

Is your suspension set up correctly?(spring rate, sag, fresh oil, seals, gold valves help the forks too)
I've done a few track days and have never scraped my pegs.
RockAZ likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Garage
Make sure you are rolling into the throttle at your maximum lean angle enough to overcome the speed loss from cornering. Sufficient gas gets the rear suspension lifting the bike keeping the pegs from scraping.

Chopping the throttle mid turn will cause the bike to drop suddenly taking away several inches of ground clearance.

A little bit more throttle smoothly applied (and earlier) will also lift front slightly-at least compared to what clearance you have under hard late braking.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodycrashboy View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnmon View Post
Is your suspension set up correctly?(spring rate, sag, fresh oil, seals, gold valves help the forks too)
I've done a few track days and have never scraped my pegs.
Thanks for the reply! I will have a look at the suspension, the rear could use a little more fine tuning, but it is not bad as is. Some TLC for the forks is on the to-do list. Since changing the rear suspension because the old one died the track day before this, there hasn't been time to do the finer adjustments. If I'm lucky, it will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
Make sure you are rolling into the throttle at your maximum lean angle enough to overcome the speed loss from cornering. Sufficient gas gets the rear suspension lifting the bike keeping the pegs from scraping.

Chopping the throttle mid turn will cause the bike to drop suddenly taking away several inches of ground clearance.

A little bit more throttle smoothly applied (and earlier) will also lift front slightly-at least compared to what clearance you have under hard late braking.
The problem did indeed occur mid turn in a sharp corner (about the same spot twice). I will have a think about applying even more gas through the corner and see what happens. Thanks for replying!

Last edited by Chuckracer; Aug 10th, 2019 at 6:49 pm.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Not sure if this will help but adding some height to the ride height adjuster might make things better and certainly help with turn in, plenty of threads on this adjustment...
T.M. Roe likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodycrashboy View Post

1997 models were released in the EU. "The rest of the world" (AFAIK) got 1998 and up. There should be no differences in the 1997 or 1998 regarding foot controls / mounts.
bloodycrashboy likes this.

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode