Leaking Fork Seal....Again - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Garage
Leaking Fork Seal....Again

Back in March or April of this year, my right fork seal started leaking for no apparent reason. My bike had about 25k miles on it at that time. I had changed fork oil a couple of times, but the seals were original. So, I bought new Moose Racing oil and dust seals and did a thorough clean-up, oil change (Maxima 7.5W) and new seals. I'd done seals on Showas a couple of times before (Monster S2R and Suzuki GSXR), so I have the special tools, and I've had good results.

But, about 2000 miles and a couple of months later, the right fork is starting to leak again (the left is fine). I'll check more closely, but I didn't find any nicks or scrapes in the slider when I did the rebuild, and there was no binding the entire length of travel. Is there anything else I should be looking for when I tear this thing apart? Is there a better brand of seals I should use? Thanks in advance.

2006 ST3s ABS, 2005 BMW R1150R
2000 Yamaha WR400, 2003 Honda TRX300ex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 11:46 am

I had to replace mine, due to a leak in the left fork. The job was done by a professional shop which happened to be authorised for Ohlins suspensions. They told me that they use Athena (if the spelling is right) and they strongly recommend this brand. After 12.000 Km they are perfect.

ST4s 2006
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelbo View Post
I had to replace mine, due to a leak in the left fork. The job was done by a professional shop which happened to be authorised for Ohlins suspensions. They told me that they use Athena (if the spelling is right) and they strongly recommend this brand. After 12.000 Km they are perfect.
I've heard of Athena, and I've used their engine gaskets in the past. I'll see if I can get a set for my bike. Thanks for the quick response.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Several years ago I replaced the STs seals with a softer feeling rubber advertised as low sticktion. Triple lip All Balls brand parts. They were a reddish, maybe silicon, rubber and were very low sticktion. Slid on easy. Apparently they were low sealing as well. One side leaked pretty quick. Bought regular seals from Race Tech. No problems. Not sure what you used for seals, but that's my story.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Garage
I've had the same issue with all-balls low stiction seals.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, its probably electrical.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 2019, 7:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
I went ahead and ordered a pair of Athena seals and a seal driver. I've been using a home made driver fabricated from PVC pipe with good results, but I don't want to do this again. I'll also spend some time inspecting for nicks or gouges in the tube. I may need some additional advice if I find any damage.

My bike is currently in pieces for a repaint (discussed in a separate thread), so it'll be a few weeks before I get to this. I'll circle back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 2019, 8:00 am
Prolific Poster Award

Iíve had leaks with AllBalls seals too. I thought I might have done something wrong but now Iím going to blame it on the seals.
scott likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Garage
had a my right fork leak as well. Took it to the best suspension shop in the area, and they rebuilt it. Was fine until a year later when the fork started leaking again. That best area shop refused to warranty the work. Much more to the story, but I will never go to that shop again and recommend to anyone who asks, to avoid them. But I digress. Had my regular shop fix this new leak and so far so good and it's been about a year and half /12k miles. Good luck.

Victor ---- ig = @CheFigatta
2006 ST3s ABS & 1990 Honda VTR250 (project bike)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 13th, 2019, 9:49 am

Well,
to be honest, I would probably lso not change a year old seal on warranty either .... that said, try SKF seals. Iīve been using them on what must be at least 50 forks by now, for more han 6 years, and have never had one come back due to leaking seals. Should be pretty low fricton as well, but i only have their word for that .....

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Unread Jun 13th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterHPD View Post
Well,
to be honest, I would probably lso not change a year old seal on warranty either ....
really depends whether the customer is someone you like or a whiny arsehole you'd be happy to be rid if. if it lasted a year it's realistically not your fault.

i put a set of ariete seals (same part as i had used before) in a monster once and it was dripping oil after about half a mile on the road. just pissing out. pulled them out, could see no issue at all, put a genuine set in (marzocchi, so probably nok). no problems. wacky what happens some times.
MonsterHPD likes this.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in