Picking up 2002 St4s and riding Calgary-Toronto - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 3 Post By diddikai
  • 1 Post By flynnmon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Picking up 2002 St4s and riding Calgary-Toronto

Hey Folks,

I'm locked and loaded to pick up a 2002 ST4S on May 13 and ride it back from Calgary to Toronto-ish. Its a one-owner bike with all maintenance records since new! Hoping for an uneventful trip! Wish me luck...
beemerboy, Bricklayer and LassiM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Good luck @diddikai , I just bought same year and model to replace my trusty(?) '98 ST2, great platform for sport touring...with emphasis on the sport side!!!
Just left ECM X and had a blast there,
Speed safely!
mlukason likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Has it stopped snowing in Calgary?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 2:25 am

And I just bought a 2004 ST3 out of Calgary late October 2018. Two ST's out of the Calgary market.
There seems to be a lot of ST's in the Calgary area, have you seen the Black 2006 ST3S that Sport Cycle has for sale? Beautiful bike in superb condition, but that price!!!!!!

'94 900 SS CR, '95 900 SS CR, '86 Honda NS400R, '82 Gpz 550 X 2, 98 R1100S, '02 VFR 800, '04 ST3, Ď07 ST3S
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 1:35 pm

In Spring of 2017 , flew out to Edmonton from here in Nova Scotia on May 10th , to pick up my previously shipped '07 ST3s .... rode west as far as Kamloops BC and did all the major passes through Rockies , then pointed ST east , took my time followed mostly secondary roads that mirrored TransCanada Hywy .... my ST3 had 48000kms on it when I started , self prepped , solo ride .... no issues with bike at all , I did clean , wax and adjust the chain a few times that it .... mount up morning temps ranged from -4C to +6C .... which was my biggest issue , the weather .... wish I had waited a couple more weeks , ran into snow , hail, high winds , rain you name it, in the mountains and prairies .... didn't get my electric vest off until last day from PQ to home .... enjoy your new bike and the ride , I sure did ! .... North of Lake Superior was outstanding !!!!
Craig

'07 ST3s abs , '72 Norton 750 combat , '07 MG Griso
Go Raiders !!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 12:33 pm
WED

Have a great ride.
Best Holy Grail bike on earth.
Before you do the run check the front sprocket retainer and buy one for a spare. Also vigorously test front and back brake before you suprise yourself with "f$#k" she stops quick hey.
Tweak suspension to all middle settings and fiddle as you go.
https://www.designcorse.com/blogs/ne...ion-setup-tips
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Gents! DIdn't circle back to reply earlier because I was on the road. The bike was great on the ride back, except it wouldn't start if the overnight temp was in the single digits! Ended up buying a battery charger at a handy Princess Auto across from my motel, and that helped a lot. I ordered a Lithium battery to greet me at home. The bike has been at a local shop for a month now, getting a safety check! They've discovered a few minor issues but getting OEM parts to a non-Ducati-dealer turns out to take 10-14 days! So I haven't got it back on the road yet. Soon, soon! New headrace bearings, rubber, chain, wheel bearings (proactive maintenance @42000km), adjustable levers... It'll be a new bike by the time I get it back! Just waiting for the countershaft sprocket retainer plate the arrive, then I'm good to go! Cheers, Peter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Hope you had a fun ride! I always found Feedlot Alley (Bassano-Brooks)to be boring as hell to ride thru.

2004 S4R
1980 350 Vento
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode