Parking Lot Damage - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Garage
Parking Lot Damage

I rode my ST to Austin a couple of weeks ago for the MotoGP races and had a bit of an issue while I was there. On Saturday evening we rode downtown for the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show (I highly recommend this one), and while we were inside someone ran into my bike and knocked it over. The perp didn't stick around or leave a note. There was some fairly heavy damage to the front fairing, headlight and fender, but only minor scuffs to the right side where it landed (pics below). I haven't found any structural damage, and I was able to ride it home to KC. I feel lucky it didn't fall the other direction since that would have taken out a couple more bikes. I also have another headlight and fender sitting on the shelf, so I should get off fairly cheaply.

I was able to find a red fairing on eBay, and it should be here later today. Pictures in the ad make it look like the paint on the replacement needs some help. If that's the case, I'll paint the whole bike (Corse style? I've done that before to an ST2, see pic below) and this will turn into a build thread. I'm almost looking forward to that. Otherwise, I'll just touch up and buff.

I also have a question. My Throttle Meister was damaged in the drop and fell out on the ride home. I like the look and build quality of Throttle Meister, but they're clumsy to use. Does anyone have an alternate solution that they're happy with?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-19 19.21.15.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	941391   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-19 19.21.02.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	941393   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-19 19.20.54.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	941395   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-19 19.20.45.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	941397   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST2 Done 040911 001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	941399  

2006 ST3s ABS, 1991 Suzuki GSX-R750
2000 Yamaha WR400, 2003 Honda TRX300ex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 6:17 pm
Moderator in moderation

Garage
That's unfortunate...our bikes don't bounce all that well. I don't understand the damage to the nose...did they hit you with a lifted truck?

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm

Sure is a pretty bike with the Corse theme.

ACME Test Pilot, ACME Race Team Primary Rider. NO wins, many, many losses..........Usually due to an anvil or piano crossing my path. Falls from cliffs slow me down a bit too.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 5:33 am
LGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukason View Post
That's unfortunate...our bikes don't bounce all that well. I don't understand the damage to the nose...did they hit you with a lifted truck?
Sorry to read about the mishap, however you should fair ok...

I too don't understand the front end damage. Looks as though it was smacked in the front and fell on the right. Are the forks and front end straight?

2007 ST3s
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 8:12 am

Garage
Sorry to hear about this crap. Best of luck fixing the damage.

Were you parked in the remote lot, because the primary show parking lot was filled? If you were, you might want to let the show organizers know what happened. I skipped the show, because the primary show lot was filled and they wanted me to park my bike in the remote lot. When a motorcycle show gets so popular that bikes have to be parked in remote lots, because the primary lot is predominantly filled with cars and riders have their bikes damaged by cage drivers while visiting the show, it has become a bike show for cage drivers.....
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB View Post
Sorry to read about the mishap, however you should fair ok...

I too don't understand the front end damage. Looks as though it was smacked in the front and fell on the right. Are the forks and front end straight?
I'll probably never know for sure, but I'm guessing it was a pick-up, not necessarily lifted. I have a 2WD F150, and the rear bumper is about the right height to hit the front tire high and ride up into the fairing. I didn't find any paint from the offending vehicle, so that makes me think chrome bumper. A closed tailgate would also make it hard to see a bike while backing up. BTW, my bike was on the center stand, so it would be easy to tip to either side.

I had to ride my bike the rest of Saturday night, Sunday and then home to KC (nearly 800 miles) on Monday. It rode, turned and stopped normally. I can't see the damage from the saddle, and it was like nothing had happened. I think mechanically, the bike is fine.

Ray, we had to park in a lot about 4 blocks away, so it was fairly remote. We were under a street light, but not a lot of people around. The last few years were a lot better with plenty of bike parking at the front door or within a block.

I'd still be interested to hear input on throttle locks before I spend money on another Throttle Meister. I was looking at these on eBay (link below). Has anyone had experience with something similar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Cruise-2...53.m1438.l2649

Finally, I received the new (to me) fairing last night. No cracks or breaks, but it looks like someone tried to home repair some paint chips. There was some light sanding and a poor buffing job. Looks like I'll be doing the total repaint. Updates to follow.

Thanks.
beemerboy likes this.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:13 am

Glad you were able to source the front cowl Twerth. It took me 6 months and an ebay shipment from Australia to get a used replacement. Very hard to come by.

Looking forward to your build.

Scott L.

2006 ST3
Maryville, Tennessee
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanesmatb View Post
Glad you were able to source the front cowl Twerth. It took me 6 months and an ebay shipment from Australia to get a used replacement. Very hard to come by.

Looking forward to your build.

Scott L.
Yup, that's my experience as well. A little over a year ago, I cracked my upper fairing while removing the lowers with the top in place in a freezing cold garage. I was able to repair the crack from the back, but you could still see it if you looked closely. I've had an eBay search set up for a year, hoping to find a nice one I could bolt on with no repainting. Nothing even close ever came up. You can still buy 'em new for ~$750, OUCH!

The night I got home from the Austin trip, this one popped up. Paint isn't perfect but it's structurally sound, and since I have other areas to fix as well... Amazing luck!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 6:06 am

Re throttle locks/clamps I recommend you look into Vista Cruise.

I put one on my 4S years ago and although its never going to have the engineered look of precision that the Throttlemeister might have for some, its a very simple device that works as well as I could ever ask for.
For long rides its a great aid for a tired right hand and at a fraction of the price of the Tmeister type clamps

I also flipped mine over so its activated by my index finger rather than my thumb.
Works a treat and very adjustable to the pressure you want.
Throttle twist resistance over normal is barely noticeable when its nudged on and its easily overridden without needing to flick it off

I'd show you a pic of it installed but my uploading skills don't match whats needed
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinF View Post
Re throttle locks/clamps I recommend you look into Vista Cruise.

I put one on my 4S years ago and although its never going to have the engineered look of precision that the Throttlemeister might have for some, its a very simple device that works as well as I could ever ask for.
For long rides its a great aid for a tired right hand and at a fraction of the price of the Tmeister type clamps

I also flipped mine over so its activated by my index finger rather than my thumb.
Works a treat and very adjustable to the pressure you want.
Throttle twist resistance over normal is barely noticeable when its nudged on and its easily overridden without needing to flick it off
That doesn't look too bad. Might give one a try. Thanks for the input.

I was able to get my bike back together and on the road last night. It was getting dark, so no pics yet, but I'll post some up later today. I'll probably ride it like this for a few weeks before I take it back apart for paint (I've got some other chores to clear off the list first).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in