Front stand question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 2 Post By ray916mn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Front stand question

Hey all,

I need to remove the wheels from my 2002 ST4S. I've never owned a commercial front stand. For my VFR800 (the bike I owned the longest), I built one from 2x4s and lag bolts. It took a little front end manipulation but it worked perfectly, and was dead cheap to build.

I'm thinking about a Pit Bull for my Duc. They say always use with a rear stand. How true is that? The front is pricey enough and I'm not buying both. If I put the bike on the center stand and remove the rear wheel, any reason I can't use the front stand solo?

Thanks in advance.

Aram

Aram 2002 ST4S
Life is too short for 4 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 3:55 am

Garage
I recently purchased a front head lift stand because I wanted to service my forks and replace my tyre. I did use it with a rear stand but reckon it would work ok if you remove the rear tyre like you said.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, its probably electrical.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 8:58 am
Moderator in moderation

Garage
I started with a PitBull rear stand and would hang the front from my garage ceiling joists. After dealing with that for a few seasons, I bought the PitBull front stand. I did attempt to lift the front with the bike on its center stand. Picks the bike right up off the center stand. I guess the PitBull instructions are correct!

I never tried removing the rear wheel first and then using the front...I agree with what Turbomart says...should work if the rear wheel is off first.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:19 am

I have only the front stand also, works fine with rear wheel off.

Paul

15 675RX
03 ST4s
96 ZX-11
76 KZ900-LTD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukason View Post
I started with a PitBull rear stand and would hang the front from my garage ceiling joists. After dealing with that for a few seasons, I bought the PitBull front stand. I did attempt to lift the front with the bike on its center stand. Picks the bike right up off the center stand. I guess the PitBull instructions are correct!

I never tried removing the rear wheel first and then using the front...I agree with what Turbomart says...should work if the rear wheel is off first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACABADA View Post
I have only the front stand also, works fine with rear wheel off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomart View Post
I recently purchased a front head lift stand because I wanted to service my forks and replace my tyre. I did use it with a rear stand but reckon it would work ok if you remove the rear tyre like you said.
Thanks to all of you!

Aram

Aram 2002 ST4S
Life is too short for 4 wheels
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Garage
For bikes with a center stand you don't need a front stand to lift the front end. All you need is a wide 5 foot long board. Park the bike using the center stand on the board with the rear wheel over the board and the front wheel off the board. Take a tie down or rope and tie the back wheel down to the board. The front wheel will now be off the ground high enough to remove the front wheel.
mlukason and Sheff928 like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I have both front and rear PitBull lifts. The front lift is a little bit of adventure when lifting off the center stand, but not treacherous enough to scare me. I employ a friend to help me lift and lower, as it's really just on the rear wheel when lifted.
I think both front and rear lifts are well worth having in the garage.

Don

2005 ST4S

Norton Commandos, 750 & 850
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I take both wheels off every time I need tires ( 2yrs ave) .... eye hooks in floor .... bike goes up on center stand , then balance bike with straps to hooks , not a very big deal and cheap ! .... usually set 3/4 scrap plywood piece under stand to give a little extra breathing room .... also it is a solo job ....

'07 ST3s abs , '72 Norton 750 combat , '07 MG Griso
Go Raiders !!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Garage
I use to use ratchet straps from the ceiling to the handlebars to get the front tyre off but the headlift stand is 10x easier.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, its probably electrical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode