Battery upgrade - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2019, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Battery upgrade

I have a 2001 ST2 and want to change the battery to a better CCA / Ah rating unit.
Anyone with info on a replacement that fits the stock holder, or relocation position for this would be a welcome d responder !! I'm tired of the slow crank / start
syndrome already... 😎
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:10 am
Moderator in moderation

Garage
I have had good luck with the Yuasa AMG batteries. Some folks find that over the years, corrosion of the heavy cables running from the battery to ground, battery to starter solenoid, solenoid to starter, increase the electrical resistance and slow down the cranking. There are aftermarket kits to replace the wires and many have reported faster cranking after the change. I did this on my ST3, and haven't noticed a difference...but, my bike always cranked quickly. YMMV.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:53 am

Garage
upgrade...

On my 1996 Supersport the battery cables were badly undersized. I went from a stock #8 cable to a #4 cable and it starts NOW, when I press the starter button.

Think of cable size as the equivalent water hose size. If you have a big diameter hose, more water is going to flow through the hose than a small diameter hose. Current is the same. Small diameter wire cannot flow as much current as larger diameter wire. Even if you have a big battery, it will not improve the cranking ability, due to small wires restricting the flow of current. The diameter of the wires determine the flow of current. Increase the diameter of the battery cables, grounds included, to get an increase in starting capability.

Make sure your ground connections are clean and free from any corrosion, use star washers to get conductive connections.

Fred

1996 SS/SP B52 40k miles
MBP collets / 748 front rotors / 4.5" rear wheel / Sharkskins / Nichols frame bolts

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 10:09 am

I've been eyeing these for my MTS, which is a little more lethargic than my ST2 when it comes to starting: https://motolectric.com/makes/ducati.html

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjopp View Post
I have a 2001 ST2 and want to change the battery to a better CCA / Ah rating unit.
Anyone with info on a replacement that fits the stock holder, or relocation position for this would be a welcome d responder !! I'm tired of the slow crank / start
syndrome already... 😎
Look at this battery:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NPP-12V-22A...r/254036951863

I stuffed one of these into my 1998 ST2 battery box. Not a slip-fit in, 'cuz it's about 1/8" deeper width. So you have to be crafty. I got rid of the little lip at the bottom of the tray, and then fab'd up a nice strap to hold it in. Awesome battery and price "shipped"! I bought another recently for an old 'Guzzi, and it came in very handy when I scabbed it in on my back-up generator...

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjopp View Post
syndrome already... 😎
This is a direct fit replacement with 360 cranking amps, and it has a full battery management system...which means youll never be able to drain it, or overcharge it.

https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/co...-battery-p-12l
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanx for the suggestions everyone !... I just settled down after a long day running around doing errands. Was pleasantly surprised to see that I had some posts regarding the battery / power issue. I've seen the cable upgrade kit, just didn't have the extra money to throw at it. Maybe I can build them myself. Anyway, I appreciate the responses and wish you all a very happy Easter Sunday !! I will definitely be looking at all of your suggestions closely to determine what will work best for my ST2...
Thanx again, Ken 😎
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've been eyeing these for my MTS, which is a little more lethargic than my ST2 when it comes to starting: https://motolectric.com/makes/ducati.html
Hmmm... I got one of their kits for my 900SS and it went from really sketchy starting, especially spring & fall when it's cooler out, to IMMEDIATE cranking/starting - no issues in ANY season. Like one or two revs and it would catch.

I just replaced my battery in my MTS and the bike is starting reasonably strong, but I may grab a set of the motoelectric cables anyways. Unlike the older bikes, you can't just keep on cranking until it starts, the computer won't even let you try if the voltage is below a certain point.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode