Replacement radiator for ST4, urgent! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:53 am Thread Starter

Replacement radiator for ST4, urgent!

Can anyone recommend a company that makes replacement water radiators for ST4, mine has been condemned as irrepairable
Thanks.

ST4 MY2000, oberon clutch slave, ZG screen, Andalucia, Spain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:16 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
eBay or some user here are probably your best hope?

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:20 am

Garage
Here ya go, Sweet Pea.

Not a new one but probably the next best thing.

https://www.imperialsportbikes.com/d....html?___SID=U

Randy,
'02 BMW R1150RT & '06 BMW K1200S
'04 1000DS Supersport & '05 ST3

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 2:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks Beemer, but I'm convinced that rads deteriorate with age not use especially on bikes that have stood for a while like mine before I bought it in 2007, so I'm after a company maybe in the states who make copies, I've seen a few for the 916 but not ST4/3/4s and those do not have the intergral radiator cap.
Thanks again
Brad

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 5:05 am

Garage
Just throwing out a thought, and it may not work with your "urgent" timeline, but have you reached out to any of the Hot Rod radiator manufacturers, like Walker, to see if they could rebuild it?

What about yours has been called irreparable?

2000 Ducati ST2 Blue (The Rare Blue Duc), Join the AMA today!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 7:05 am Thread Starter

Hi,
The company in Malaga Spain are known for reparing classic cars etc radiators and the said the aluminium was "eaten away and failed a cold pressure test so would be useless under hot working pressures.
They said do not throw money away on this, try to get a new copy if it's treu that OEM ones cost hundreds of /$ And blow me I did see a website last year when I was thinking of replacwement and cant for love or money find it again. I find it hard to beleive that none of you guys haven't had to do the same, am I asking in the wrong place as i've only just rejoined Ducati.ms
Thanks Mate

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 10:01 am

I picked up a used one last year just as a clean spare. There are used ones like this one over on E-Bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Ducati...fe5201df62cfa7

Tom
Sophia, 2001 ST4 (Ohlins, Race Tech, Cycle Cat, Russell, etc).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradboy View Post
Thanks Beemer, but I'm convinced that rads deteriorate with age not use especially on bikes that have stood for a while like mine before I bought it in 2007, so I'm after a company maybe in the states who make copies, I've seen a few for the 916 but not ST4/3/4s and those do not have the intergral radiator cap.
Thanks again
Brad

You're convinced.. based on what? Corrosion is only based on chemical interactions - what fluid has been run through it. if coolant mixed with distilled water, its all good. Atmospheric issues would be a non-factor, barring stupidity in cleaning chemicals or the like.

As for knock-offs: These bikes aren't Toyotas, man. that rad is specialized based on the unique fairings and hose routing. Even a 996 rad won't fit without surgery on its spigots.. I did that one once, using a very talented Alfa/Ferrari mechanic who loves Ducatis. Did it strictly as a favor. A proper rad shop may be able to mod one for you, but its tricky, thin wall alum, spigot angles must be "just so." The [expensive] race rads were never made for your sport touring bike as afar as I know. Why would they have been? non-track-designed, not a homologation machine, low numbers produced & on the road.
ducvet likes this.

-bucky
2011 1198 - 2001 996 mono - 2002 ST4s ti - 2003 R1150RT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Hi,
The company in Malaga Spain are known for reparing classic cars etc radiators and the said the aluminium was "eaten away and failed a cold pressure test so would be useless under hot working pressures.
They said do not throw money away on this, try to get a new copy if it's treu that OEM ones cost hundreds of /$ And blow me I did see a website last year when I was thinking of replacwement and cant for love or money find it again. I find it hard to beleive that none of you guys haven't had to do the same, am I asking in the wrong place as i've only just rejoined Ducati.ms
Thanks Mate
My friend has a radiator from his 2002 ST4s that he's parting out. Not sure what he want$ for it.

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Garage
Quote:
Hi,
...try to get a new copy if it's treu that OEM ones cost hundreds of /$ And blow me I did see a website last year when I was thinking of replacwement and cant for love or money find it again. I find it hard to beleive that none of you guys haven't had to do the same, am I asking in the wrong place as i've only just rejoined Ducati.ms
Thanks Mate
sounds like a car radiator shop - ignorant of what's out there for low production Italian bikes. there are NO reproduction rads for ST-series bikes Ive seen. Get a low mileage used OEM item on eBay for a few quid, or go to Alibaba for your cheap knock-off.. and be sure to let us know how that works out, mate!
ducvet likes this.

-bucky
2011 1198 - 2001 996 mono - 2002 ST4s ti - 2003 R1150RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode