Bike died mid-ride - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Bike died mid-ride

I was about 15 minutes/7 miles into my ride, cruising around 45 down a flat, straight stretch and my bike faltered for 1-2 seconds. I kept even throttle and it picked up again for a few seconds, faltered, and died.

Coasted onto the shoulder, keyed it off, then back on. Normal so far. Hit the starter and it fired up and died again within a second. Took off my helmet and ear plugs, gave it a good look over and found nothing. I keyed it back on, heard the fuel pump whir, hit the starter and it fired right up and idled fine.

Not wanting to continue heading further from civilization, I headed back home without any issues. I rode 5-10 miles extra around my house without issues. Idled fine at stops, etc.

I've had no issues with the bike to date. Aside from oil/filter change, wheel swap and brake/clutch fluid flush, it's been unmolested this season. Haven't had the plastics off, even. Tank was 3/4 full with fresh gas.

Any thoughts even on where to start looking? I'm pretty hesitant to ride it anywhere now.

Thanks much.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 4:15 pm

I would start with making sure the grounds are clean and tight, then charging system, battery, regulator/rectifier, connector between r/r and stator.
Good luck .
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Garage
Yes, and wires to/from ignition switch - particularly the connector for the switch’s wiring into the harness. Looking for dark/cooked wire casings, exposed wiring, deformed plastic connector from heat, etc.

2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

2004 ST4s ABS 'Senna',
02 Yamaha FZ1 w/139k+ mi

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 8:22 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
The faltering would make me look inside the tank for an issue there. Check for a split fuel line, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, etc.
oleary likes this.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

I had exactly this issue happen 3 times. In two different years. And one day while the bike was apart on the bench for maintenance it happened again. Turns out it was the yellow relay by the left side of the headlight, the main relay. It`s what`s called a dual 87 output relay. Most relays have one contact that it NC and another that is NO. This one had none that are NC and two that are NO. One of the output contacts was burnt. I could physically see the contact close when I applied power but my meter was telling me there was no current path. Changed it and all has been good for a year and a half now.
SwiftFF5 and SO FUN like this.

`02 ST2, 2000 CBR1100XX, 2007 Aprilia Tuono, and just last year a 1998 Honda Valkyrie
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 7:41 am

Recent maintenance history?

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 7:51 am

Garage
Same thing was happening on ST4. Figured it was electrical. Replaced the two relays and the 3 fuses under the seat. No more problems, of course I did this after pulling all the plastic and checked all the connections on the bike.

1999 ST4 ( trouble ) 2015 Harley street 500 ( Nancy's )
past Honbultacomaicosuzuhuskyczjawa
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2018, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Sounds like I'll be tearing down instead of riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve__d View Post
Recent maintenance history?
Bought the bike in '12 with 20k on the clock. Had full service done in '13, including new fuel filter and fork oil.

I do oil/filter, fluid flush, plugs, and K&N filter clean annually, but haven't had the plastics off to change plugs this summer. Typically have belts/valves, TB sync, TPS reset, etc. done every two years at a local shop.

It's more or less due for belts, valves, coolant flush and new fuel filter. Almost 40k on the clock now.

Been problem free to date and running great so far this summer. Aside from wheel swap, new rear caliper and bleed, I haven't done anything to upset it.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbray View Post
I had exactly this issue happen 3 times. In two different years. And one day while the bike was apart on the bench for maintenance it happened again. Turns out it was the yellow relay by the left side of the headlight, the main relay. It`s what`s called a dual 87 output relay. Most relays have one contact that it NC and another that is NO. This one had none that are NC and two that are NO. One of the output contacts was burnt. I could physically see the contact close when I applied power but my meter was telling me there was no current path. Changed it and all has been good for a year and a half now.
That was what fixed my intermittent stalling problem as well.

Good luck, please let us know what fixes it.

2002 ST2 (Yellow)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2018, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.

I took the plastics off and gave it a good look over, but found nothing obvious. I put in new plugs and cleaned/oiled the K&N while I was in there. Everything was pretty clean.

Fired it up a few times and had no issues, so hard to troubleshoot.

Anyone have a goos source for quality replacement relays? These are all stock and have lasted well. I'd hate to replace them with cheap stuff that may fail prematurely.

Thanks!

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode