Cracked Engine case / mount - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Garage
I have to disagree, if using the internals from one motor and the cases from another, the crank pre-load will probably be different. The shims are to allow for manufacturing variables in both the cases and the crankshaft sizes.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, its probably electrical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 6:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatimike View Post
The preload on the bearings is needed for the bearings to operate optimally. It will not change with different cases. If I remember correctly, the factory manual gives an interference number (like .015 mm something) that you use to set the preload. You add shims (thin washers) to achieve your interference. The interference is achieved when you do your final torque on the bolts that clamp the inner cases together.
Oh, so as long as I use the same exact shims from my old case, there shouldn't be an issue since the preload won't change with different cases? Am I understanding that correctly? My new (used obviously) cases just showed up yesterday so hopefully in 2 weeks after a work trip I'll be working on reassembly.

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2002 Ducati ST4S - Stealth Grey!
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomart View Post
I have to disagree, if using the internals from one motor and the cases from another, the crank pre-load will probably be different. The shims are to allow for manufacturing variables in both the cases and the crankshaft sizes.
Just saw this after my last post - perhaps I'll measure everything up just to verify...

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDuc View Post
Just saw this after my last post - perhaps I'll measure everything up just to verify...
My previous comment about preload was misunderstood. After rereading my post I can understand why. The preload must be calculated and adjusted using the crank shims each time new cases or new bearings are used. I misunderstood the question.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 9:49 am

Garage
Not just the crankshaft but transmission and shift drum also are shimmed with different shims, I have 4 different organizers with about 8 or 9 different Id/Od shims for the different shafts.

Bottom line is you need to measure every shaft for end float and gear engagement. Hey at least it is new enough you don't have to shim the layshaft anymore!
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Not just the crankshaft but transmission and shift drum also are shimmed with different shims, I have 4 different organizers with about 8 or 9 different Id/Od shims for the different shafts.

Bottom line is you need to measure every shaft for end float and gear engagement. Hey at least it is new enough you don't have to shim the layshaft anymore!
Well if I thought I was in over my head before, I'm drowning now! I'm sure it's probably more cost effective to cut my losses and move on, but I like messing around with new stuff and have never been this deep into something mechanical. Even if it doesn't go well, I think I'll accept the challenge. Guess it's time to check the tool inventory and find out what I'll need.

post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Garage
Not much else for tools .
dial indicator.....

keep the right shims the same as they were in the original motor and build from the right engine case with no shims on the left side of the shaft/ reassemble and bolt cases together and then measure end float. Add shims to get the correct end float on the right side of the shafts . this works for all but the crank.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Finally broke out the new (to me) cases tonight out of the box. They look pretty good compared to mine. They also supposedly only had 14k miles on them versus my 37k.

Question: what are you guys using to attack the years of grime and buildup on engines? Been scrubbing away with a toothbrush here for a while and tried some WD-40 as well as some brake cleaner on the tough grime. Still have a ways to go as apparent in the photo. Any chemicals or method you found is worth well over the years?

Now onto Amazon to hunt up a decent dial indicator...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Quote:

Question: what are you guys using to attack the years of grime and buildup on engines? Been scrubbing away with a toothbrush here for a while and tried some WD-40 as well as some brake cleaner on the tough grime. Still have a ways to go as apparent in the photo. Any chemicals or method you found is worth well over the years?

Kerosene from your local hardware store paint section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marco St. Paul, MN. 2000 966 2007 S2R 1000
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Garage
Quote:

Question: what are you guys using to attack the years of grime and buildup on engines?

Any chemicals or method you found is worth well over the years?
I have a number of methods and chemicals depending on the level of gunk. I normally start with some mineral spirits...just plain old paint thinner. It works for most stuff.

I just use a stiff bristle brush from Harbor Freight and a disposable aluminum pan for like, like baking a turkey or something. Cake pan size, 2.5" deep.....pretty well perfect for containing the run off.

Once I'm done with that, if it still has some stuff left behind, I'll use either some diluted Simple Green and a tooth brush to get into crevices and other detail lines.

That's normally as far as I have to go. It if is just minor stuff, pretty much the route you've gone. WD-40 and a tooth brush....or brake clean. Carb cleaner if it is between the two in terms of crud build up.

About all I got.....but that's just what I use at home. Professionally, I have a ton more options that most people don't have access to.........sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode