Prolific Poster Award
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canton, Ohio, USA
So, as my last (very short) post might have suggested, the ride yesterday didn't end well. Another 30 miles in and I'm very close to home. But, I decide to make one more lap through downtown. I'm coming to a red light, pull the clutch, engine dies. I coast to the curb and try to restart. Shit, I was really hoping this was behind me.
This time, everything is working, including the tach. But, no start. I only put in about 3 gallons of fuel total but, I couldn't have gone through it all. I check anyway and I can see plenty of fuel. I pushed it toward home about 10 blocks before the friend I texted met me and trailered it the remaining 10.
We stopped to pick up some beer, unloaded it, and bs'd over a few. Later, I took a shower and had a few more beers before I went to bed.
This morning I get hoping that it still won't start so that I can go through a number of things. Luckily, it did not. So, fuel pump. I can hear it when I turn the key and hit the switch. Next, spark - plenty. 25k volts and nice and blue. Next was checking injectors with Power Commander still in line. The airbox is still off so I can see clearly down the intakes. Crank it over (plug wires grounded) - the tiniest little completely un-atomized trickle you'd never want to see. AH F'ING HA! Damned PC unit's given up. This will be easy. Go back to the original injection connections and re-test. Same f'ing result. Hardly any fuel coming out. Hmmm. Pull off the external hose from the pump to the injectors and fuel just runs out. You friggin' dumbass!
Drained the tank and pulled the pump assembly out. In my over-the-top rebuilding of the tank internals, I forgot one extremely important thing. I didn't tether the hose on the pump outlet with safety wire as I had planned from the outset. Said hose, with its nice new clamp, was dangling free. And, to add insult the new (allegedly Viton) O-ring had already swollen to a size no human could finagle back into place. So, dig out the drill, a bit, .020" safety wire, and pliers and made things happen. Reassembled is all (with the original Ducati O-ring) and went for another ride (staying closer to home). 15 more miles without problems.
I'm done riding/wrenching for the day. My tennis elbow is killing me and so are my feet. Both from pushing the machine yesterday. Another ride tomorrow if the weather cooperates after work.
On a brighter note, I have found that, after the winter with shoe-stretchers in them, the TCX Sport Tour EVO Air I bought form another forum member, fit great. Good flexibility for shifting and braking. Pleased as punch with that part of the day. They're just not the thing for pushing a motorcycle around town.
'91 851 SP3, '66 250 Monza, '99 Monster 900 City, '98 ST2
'99 Monster 750 (slowly disappearing bit by bit), '67 Wards Riverside 250 (fate tbd).