TPS- Seat of the Pants Adjust (Dare I say?) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:30 am Thread Starter

TPS- Seat of the Pants Adjust (Dare I say?)

OK, I know most Ducatista's out there like to do things by the book but I have an question for you. Has anyone ever adjusted the TPS by hand, listening to the engine, riding the bike and dialing it in that way?

I did this because with my make/model I supposedly had to use a multimeter to reset, I don't have VDTS , etc. I hand adjusted it just a very small amount and I no longer have lean popping, it is much smoother at low RPM and slow speeds. TB synch was done prior than hand adjusted the TPS Sensor and CO screws going off of smell of exhaust, throttle feel/response, and sound of engine. I have an open airbox and slip-ons and believe it or not I took out my fuel card (powercommander type) and just dialed in these items based on "feel" and she is even smoother AND I still have 46ish mpg without them. Basically what I did was-took the tupperware off for a week and made small adjustments; rode, adjusted, rode, etc.

Is what I did wrong? I never hear of people doing this probably because they have all of the cool tools or they just take to dealer. Technically I know it is not the perfect way but can you still use your senses to dial in a Ducati twin? Honestly I think it is more fun this way too but JMHO.

I think some of the responses should be interesting on this one, thanks for your time.

Jay G
'05 ST3 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:34 pm
Mr Leakered

Garage
I suppose it is possible to hit a sweet spot by hand. Although, a multimeter is a fairly inexpensive item and has many uses beyond setting the TPS. Please note this comes from one cheap-ass person (me).

I would recommend, that if this is a great set up, to go get a multimeter and document your settings.

One note, while I haven't had a problem getting to 150mv exactly, it is very, very sensitive. Hell, you could be at 250mv to 300mv just by bumping it.

Good luck.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalvin View Post
OK, I know most Ducatista's out there like to do things by the book but I have an question for you. Has anyone ever adjusted the TPS by hand, listening to the engine, riding the bike and dialing it in that way?

I did this because with my make/model I supposedly had to use a multimeter to reset, I don't have VDTS , etc. I hand adjusted it just a very small amount and I no longer have lean popping, it is much smoother at low RPM and slow speeds. TB synch was done prior than hand adjusted the TPS Sensor and CO screws going off of smell of exhaust, throttle feel/response, and sound of engine. I have an open airbox and slip-ons and believe it or not I took out my fuel card (powercommander type) and just dialed in these items based on "feel" and she is even smoother AND I still have 46ish mpg without them. Basically what I did was-took the tupperware off for a week and made small adjustments; rode, adjusted, rode, etc.

Is what I did wrong? I never hear of people doing this probably because they have all of the cool tools or they just take to dealer. Technically I know it is not the perfect way but can you still use your senses to dial in a Ducati twin? Honestly I think it is more fun this way too but JMHO.

I think some of the responses should be interesting on this one, thanks for your time.

It's absolutely not "wrong", just unlikely. Most people out in the world don't have the skills to do what you did.

I have heard from many sources that the 150mV setting is the only way to go. I'm not sure I'm convinced.

If you have no lean popping or problems, why do you need a piggback fuel module?

I've been working on getting my 2002 ST2 setup properly and it's taken a lot of time.

Stock airbox (for now) and FbF slip on pipes.

Thanks!
Bob
Seattle, WA

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:50 am

I know on my old BMW site guys would do this with R1100Ss with no ill effect???

If its running well, plugs look good , mileage is about the same etc etc you got a good freebie.

Personally, I have to go by the books. If theres a chance of something blowing up , it happens to me

2004 ST4S, Grey, red wheels
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
It's absolutely not "wrong", just unlikely. Most people out in the world don't have the skills to do what you did.

I have heard from many sources that the 150mV setting is the only way to go. I'm not sure I'm convinced.

If you have no lean popping or problems, why do you need a piggback fuel module?

I've been working on getting my 2002 ST2 setup properly and it's taken a lot of time.

Stock airbox (for now) and FbF slip on pipes.

Thanks!
Bob
Seattle, WA

Bob,

Thanks for the comments, what is interesting is that I "assumed" that adding slip-ons and opening the airbox I would have to have a fuel module to enrichen since I can't hand set mixture with the 5.9 ECU. Nice to know that there is a chance you can spend the time to dial it in without first to make sure you need to make the purchase.

Jay G
'05 ST3 Black
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:10 pm

re: 5.9 computer
Probably do need one for that.

I have a 2002 ST2, FbF slip ons and stock airbox. After working with it some more today, I have the ECU trimmer set to full rich and it's...darn good. I think I need to tweak the synch a little bit, but I think it will fly as is. It doesn't pop on the overrun. It's pretty solid.

1.6 ECU.

I will check a spark plug when it cools down.

Bob
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:50 pm

I think it's pretty cool. What you did was scew the mixture to richer, over the entire range. I think it's the same effect as "resetting the TPS" using the Ducati system, or the VDTS that you mentioned. So rather than doing it electronically, you did it mechanically.

I had my ST4S on the dyno at the dealer for a few reasons. One of the results shows that it's lean throughout the entire range. And the tech said "there are things that we could do..." And I think he was referring to bumping the TPS setting.

The only downside is that you didn't use a sniffer, so you'll never know where it's at...
...but again, if it feels great, not fouling the plugs, good mileage, etc., you're prolly "good to go".

If you can get a dyno run done for about $20, WITH SNIFFER, It's prolly worth doing.

The only other thing I would have done is took the initial mV reading to establish a point that you could get back to, if you ever needed to... Plus, We're dying to know what the new value is!!!!

I took a reading on my ST2 "because I was in there" and I think it was about 445mV at it's idle setting... But since the bike ran so well, I never had a reason to muck with the TPS.

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:02 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Stick,

You need to know both TPS readings to know where it was set. I know it was on your old bike, but 445mv is just the setting for the idle stop screw. You also need the full closed reading (with the stop screw backed out and the vert TB unhooked).

For jgalvin, as long as you measure the idle stop setting first, you can get the base, full closed setting and reset the idle stop without changing the setting that is working for you.

BTW, the 5.9 does have a trimmer pot that is accessed from the outside, right? Of course this change is more effective on the lower part of the rev band.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:19 am Thread Starter

The 5.9 does NOT have an accessible trimmer pot unfortunately.

Jay G
'05 ST3 Black
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:29 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Doh! Sorry, I was thinking of the P7 and P8.

If you were local, I'd give you my meter just to document what worked.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode