Watch out for new tires!! Use lots of caution!! They can hurt you. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Watch out for new tires!! Use lots of caution!! They can hurt you.

I recently bought this 2001 ST4 (15k+ miles) at a killer price to sell after doing some needed maintenance. Purchased it for $1400 and I hoped to sell for about $2500 after doing some work to it. I just finished the maintenance by installing the wheels and new tires on it. I decided it was my little project to bring up to mechanical standards and then sell it. The purchase price was such that this path made sense.

I installed new Tires, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Belts using the frequency app on my phone to adjust them, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, front sprocket lock and bolts, new DoT 4 brake fluid and bled the systems, new Coolant, and Valve Adjust. It came with nice GPR cans and new chain and sprockets.

Yesterday I decided to suit up with my handy dandy Joe Rocket suit and see how it all went together. I certainly ensured the brakes were working. Nothing worse than squeezing the levers and instantly remembering the calipers weren't pumped up. Well they were fine.

Off I went. All running very very well. Down the street, about a half mile to the stop sign. Right Turn, gave it a tiny bit of gas (four mph, really!) and next thing I know I'm looking at the bike about 15 feet away and I'm laying on my right side!

I crawled over to the now terrible machine which I now hate () and hit the kill switch.

People stopped their cars and all came right over. I'm certainly grateful for that. All asked if I was OK. I was, but realized my right knee and hip took a bump and would be slightly sore for a day or two. Hitting the pavement reminded me how hard it really is. Well, my instant analysis was spot on, and I'm a little sore today!

A fellow came over and offered to help lift it and I'm grateful for that. Wheeled it to the side of the road. Cracked right mid and lower fairing. Cracked windshield. Oh well, my hope of making a few bucks just went with the slippery tires!!

Believe me, I'm 66 yo. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. But it happened.

And........... I failed to heed the advice of the mechanic who specifically advised me the tires would be slippery. Little did I realize how absolutely skittish they were. I've had better traction on wet leaves!

So I hope my little mis-adventure can help someone in the future. Give the tires about 50-100 miles to get skuffed in prior to doing anything mildly aggressive.

Have a great US Thanksgiving holiday and a great weekend to all. Now on to Ebay to look for parts!! Hopefully I can break even on this deal!

Steve

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 9:35 am
Super Moderator

Garage
Yep. What kind of tires? Some have more mold release agent than others.
jahjah likes this.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 9:50 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
Yes, it does happen. Tires have gotten better about that in the last decade or so but still need some brake in.

A good friend did the same thing on a brand new Honda Interceptor. Left the dealership and a 1/4 mile down the road took the first right hand corner and oops! All the plastic on the right side.

PS: Cold weather makes it 10X worse.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 11:39 am

Bummer, but glad your unscathed for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul

15 675RX
03 ST4s
96 ZX-11
76 KZ900-LTD
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:02 pm

Garage
I had a similar experience with a Yamaha FZ1 I purchased from a Air Force officer that was being re-stationed .
After doing all the work to get the bike sorted and ready for sale I dumped it on a test ride and it cost me $1500 and a lost my left pinky fingernail as well as feeling as if I had been hit by a truck for about a month

right after the accident I had a car stop beside me while I was rolling around in a ditch in pain, and the bastards drove off...

In the end I broke even, My faith in humanity has not been restored.

My Garage:True TDD-1 Kegerator, 2016 Ducati MTS Pikes Peak, 2012 Ducati MTS Pikes Peak, 2008 1098S, 2014 Honda CB1000R
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Yep. What kind of tires? Some have more mold release agent than others.
They are Metzeler Tires. I don't recall the model I'll have to check. As far as any manufacturer's substance on the rubber, there wasn't any. Strictly an issue of lack of adhesion.

It was 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Certainly on the cool side, but nothing that gave a clear warning sign. Steve

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 1:24 pm

Garage
Metzlers never seemed worse to me than any other premium brand for break-in skittishness... but with ANY new tire it pays to go easy on them for the first hundred miles (and the first dozen or two hard corners).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve__d View Post
They are Metzeler Tires. I don't recall the model I'll have to check. As far as any manufacturer's substance on the rubber, there wasn't any. Strictly an issue of lack of adhesion.

It was 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Certainly on the cool side, but nothing that gave a clear warning sign. Steve
As far as I knew, any residue on the rubber from the mold release agent isn't generally visible - it just sort of leaves a chemical trace within the surface of the rubber.

Always been warned about slippery new tyres, and luckily have remembered long enough to get the whole riding surface of the tyre worn in before forgetting...

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 3:53 pm

That's nasty Steve, hope you heal up soon.
I always wonder how to run in a new tyre on the sides without any problems because in order to make contact with that part of the tyre you have to be running fairly hard anyway. I believe some people use sandpaper on the edges for this reason. Makes sense to me.
I actually still find the slipperyness unacceptable from the seller, they really should be ready to go for the price we pay.
breaddrink likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 4:24 pm

I've also been told it's the heat cycles that's needed.
Nevertheless, I just slowly increase my lean angle after a few turns and stop at 75% until I've ridden either an hour or 50 miles. Then slowly increase once again from 75% to my full lean capabilities which seem to vary from day to day and bike to bike. Never had a slip yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul

15 675RX
03 ST4s
96 ZX-11
76 KZ900-LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode