Craving a second bike, you? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Craving a second bike, you?

Hi fellow ST folks, just curious what you are lusting after these days for a second ride. I've been looking for another bike for the wife. Her first and only bike was a Buell Blast, which I must admit was the best $1,200 i've spent. It was absurdly fun to take out and thrash (flat tracking around the property, jumping it and flogging every once of power from it to get it to wheelie). Anyway, in looking for a new entry level bike for her I also know that I'll probably spend more time on it than she will. So, I'm hunting for a bike for her that will be fun for me as well. Cafe racers are my weakness currently so looking at old Honda CB's, Ducati Monster, Royal Enfield, etc. Also I miss the zippy little sport bike for the twisties, so the Honda CBR300, KTM390, Yamaha R3 might be a good idea too. If you can only have 2 bikes in the garage, what are they?

2005 ST3
"Temperance, like Chastity...is its own punishment"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Garage
I already have three bikes in the garage but if I were to have another it would be an '05 1000DS Supersport for riding and static display in my home.

Randy,
'02 BMW R1150RT & '06 BMW K1200S
'04 1000DS Supersport & '05 ST3
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Looks like you have a great stable of sport-touring capable bikes! What would you go for if you wanted a totally different style of ride?

2005 ST3

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 9:42 pm

From the Ducati line, both the Scrambler and the Hyper look like they'd be a blast.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
From the Ducati line, both the Scrambler and the Hyper look like they'd be a blast.
Both those look like tons of fun. If you were looking non-Ducati what intrigues?

2005 ST3
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Guy I met the other day at a hardware store was riding a new KTM 690 Duke he's had for a month. He gets off work, goes for a ride, comes home for dinner and then goes out again. Says it's addictive. Wife getting pissed. 75hp single with 2 balance shafts, says it has a track pack option. Apparently has electronics to deal with wheel spin and a slipper clutch. Says it's around 325lbs. He has a garage full of motorcycles but apparently the bigger bikes aren't seeing any saddle time since he bought this guy. The weight drop would put it at a power to weight range of a bigger bike with the cornering advantage of the lighter bike. I'd go test ride one but no time right now. Based upon the single, not a trip bike but you could play with the cafe racers since it's kind of a quirky naked.
RockAZ and wineguy like this.

2001 Monster S4
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Ducati Scrambler Independent, wife bought it for herself after completing her motorcycle safety course. Lots of fun and you know the old saying "sometimes it is fun to ride a slow bike fast!! "I bought a Scrambler Café Racer because I would have so much fun on her bike but in the end I traded that in for a 1200 Monster R. The Café was not quite enough for me and was not as much fun as the Scrambler Independent.
wineguy likes this.

Pikes Peak 2016 Monster 1200 R 2016
ST3S 2007
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2017, 5:48 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
If you can only have 2 bikes in the garage, what are they?
had these 2

but sold the GSXR to buy this
A turbo charged 4 liter straight 6 with 270kw (364 hp) and 533Nm @ 2000-5000rpm
In a nutshell, it will get the jump of most naturally aspirated V8s, a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Did do a 1/4 mile 13.4 second pass first time @ a drag meet

am now looking at getting another sports bike to add to the garage
Have my eye on a 2013 1199 Panigale S Tricolore
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2017, 8:55 am

Garage
Quote:
I've been looking for another bike for the wife
Start with something she can fit on so you need to look at seat height or it will end up being just yours.

I have a few customers who have bought new track bikes... rc390 and R3 are the go to bikes here. Based on Dyno runs I would take the KTM due to the midrange/low end power over the twin of the yamaha though both bikes are within 1hp of each other on my dyno at PEAK power. If you are looking for more than 35-40RWHP then you need displacement and I would look to the newer ktm/husqvarna motor that is counterbalanced and 690/710cc this should be around 60-70rwhp and lots of fun.

I do work on the KTM street bikes and have to say they are among my favorites to work on as their dirt bike heritage makes them more user serviceable. Another customer was in recently and she owns a 1100 monster but just bought a 390 duke and likes it a lot, she is short and is thinking of adding a yamaha R3 as well as she feels it fits her better than the duke but after showing her the dyno comparison she is not sure either bikes will be used for street/track use.

The scramblers or a used monster 620 is a good bike the 620/750 monsters can also be lowered if need be and used should be a 60rwhp bike that can be had for short money.
Lanesmatb likes this.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2017, 9:05 am
Prolific Poster Award

I’d add a Triumph to the list of possibilities.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode