hard finding neutral - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

hard finding neutral

I have a 02' ST4S and in the past three rides or so it is getting harder to half shift in to neutral. I did a search here and found it could be related to a couple of culprits. One possibility is time for a clutch fluid change, that water may have collected in the fluid causing pour action. The other is the pilot bearing is seizing up (read related post: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=6746 )

Any input on these or other any other suggestions/possibilities

Thanks

Turin
_______
02' ST4S, 02' XR400R street legal, 88' KLR650, 86' XR250R, 84' XR200R, 82' KX80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:27 am
Still lurking about. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
I have a 02' ST4S and in the past three rides or so it is getting harder to half shift in to neutral. I did a search here and found it could be related to a couple of culprits. One possibility is time for a clutch fluid change, that water may have collected in the fluid causing pour action. The other is the pilot bearing is seizing up (read related post: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=6746 )

Any input on these or other any other suggestions/possibilities

Thanks
How many miles? I would also check the slave cylinder to see if it is leaking or not.

- john

JBZ
ATGATT
'02 ST4s

The people should not fear their government, the government should fear it's people.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:29 am

Have you attempted to turn the screw on the clutch lever? The screw that may be hidden by a dab of hot melt?

When I see that someone is having a hard time finding neutral, that is something that I have mentioned. Caution, do not wildly turn it many many turns as you will loose clutch action. I mean ADJUST it by 1/4 turn increments.

It is worth a try. I see that your machine has worked fine until more recently.

HoppyMotorHead
'03 ST4s '05 S2R

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc4S
How many miles? I would also check the slave cylinder to see if it is leaking or not.

- john
17,500 miles. I have to do some maintenance prior to my run to laguna seca in a month part of my inspection is the slave cylinder for leaks. Probably a good place to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharhay
Have you attempted to turn the screw on the clutch lever? The screw that may be hidden by a dab of hot melt?
I have not, would this be an adjustment to accommodate the wearing of the clutch? why do they hide it under a dap of metal?

Turin
_______
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 7:38 pm

Clutch tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
I have a 02' ST4S and in the past three rides or so it is getting harder to half shift in to neutral..........
This works ... click into neutral just BEFORE you roll to a stop. Works like a charm, but as always, keep an eye on the mirrors.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 5:13 am
Don

I have also experienced this symptom some time ago. I removed the clutch plates, gave everything a good blow with air to get rid of the dust, checked the push rod etc was clean and bearings were ok. Did nothing else - put it all back together and sure enough problem solved - slots into neutral with out hesitation every time.

hope this helps

Don
2002 ST4S
In the past - 750SS, GPZ1100, R90S, Z1 900, CB360, TM250
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 8:26 am

Flush and bleed the system. Worked like a charm for me. And I was surprised to see a noticeable air bubble in there.
A simple 15 minute job.

Mike | '03 ST4s -->sold<--
AMA - 262640
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

as always.............thanks for the input people!!!!

Turin
_______
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:55 am

Let us know how it turns out.

Mike | '03 ST4s -->sold<--
AMA - 262640
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 9:59 pm

I read this post yesterday and had already planned to bleed my system today. well I bled it a little(did get a little bubble out) then noticed the adjustment screw that Dharhay was talking about. looked like it had 'hot glue' in the slot. I scraped that out and adjusted it. like you I was also having a hard time finding neutral and the clutch lever if you moved it 1/4 inch off the bar the bike was moving. I am used to keeping my pinky and ring finger on the grip and using my middle and index fingers to pull the clutch in to shift and such, but I was getting no clutch action unless I pulled it in farther than that. I ended up moving that screw in 2 full turns(it would only go 2.5 at the most anyway) to start with and what a difference it made. clutch feel like I think it should now and i can find neutral and shift without comming all the way to the bar with the lever. I do still have free play at the end as well. i've only had the bike since memorial day and I think the clutch action was my biggest issue with the bike....well other than the rediculously short shifter!!

BTW I already have an aftermarket slave cylinder. next i'm going to remove the clutch cover and remove any clutch dust from there....and of course gonna run it without the cover for a minute to see how loud it is.....curiosity ya know!!

Donny O.
98 Ducati ST2...SOLD 10-15-08
98 Kawasaki Concours
87 Suzuki Cavalcade w/California Friendship III sidecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode