Worn Sprocket washer and output shaft - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2017, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Garage
Worn Sprocket washer and output shaft

How screwed am I?

I know the washers are a weak point, but even with a good washer, getting one to sit properly on that shaft is looking pretty shaky...

2000 Ducati ST2 Blue (The Rare Blue Duc), Join the AMA today!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2017, 10:55 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Yeah. Your output shaft is looking pretty rough. The hole in it is threaded. You could get a machine shop to fab a cap with the proper depth (unsplined) and hole pattern to match the retainer. With a bolt through the middle, the sprocket would be fixed in place. This would be used in conjunction with a retainer.

Heck, even a plate with with two spacers of the right length and longer retainer​ bolts could work.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Reminds me of how my lock washer looked on my thread "Counter shaft lock washer failure". I can attest to how easy it is to have happen when you're not aware of the need to replace it every time the counter shaft sprocket is replaced and to keep an eye on it in case. Apparently, mine had not been replaced like it should have been and I wasn't aware of a problem until I saw the sprocket was completely loose.

1026cc Fast by Ferracci 2003 ducati st4s

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2017, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I'd try a new plate, new screws...fly it and watch it. Doesn't look like two plates would fit in the enlarged gap...

Vinnie R.
Tennessee

2004 998s FE
2002 ST4s
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2017, 10:10 pm

This thread made me decide to look at mine, am I glad did! Lock washer was already pretty much worn out after about 4k miles due to the extra float my sprocket now has on the spline. If I had let it go another 1k, it probably would would have come completely loose like it had before. Seriously considering coming up with something along the lines of what Tonered suggested. I can see the problem only getting worse the longer it goes as is.

Last edited by Bryanc123; Jun 5th, 2017 at 7:59 am.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2017, 8:27 am

Can't stress enough the need to lube the spline/sprocket. Use Anti-seize as it'll last longer vs grease. Review every 5-6k miles. Re-apply grease at that point.

Given rust on shaft, I doubt it had grease or lube at any time in recent past. S

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2017, 9:35 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Wear between the countershaft splines and sprocket splines is very rare on the STs. BMWs (and Urals) have that problem though. What we are seeing here is wear of the shaft due to the locking plate which is opening up the securing groove.

As noted by Brad (bikeboy) in the past, this is the wrong application for what you are suggesting. If you feel that you must apply something on the splines, this is the right product:
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08798-9.../dp/B0083BWUYW

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2017, 9:57 am

You misinterpret my comment re lubrication and the intended purpose. It allows unimpeded float of the sprocket on the counter shaft splines. Restriction of the sprocket with the lock ring in wrong position will lead to such excessive and premature wear. Race cars (stock car types) using the Ford 9 inch clean and lube the splines to avoid lapping and excessive wear on the drive plates. Common to do to avoid the wear issue.

HAGO

Steve

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2017, 10:17 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Sorry, but I did not misinterpret.

This older style of locking the sprocket is great for maintenance and quick changes, but not so good for longevity. There is very little inboard / outboard play in the as-new setup. Play is introduced as the retainer and shaft eat into each other, esp when the retainer is badly worn as can be seen as steps in the original pic. The 2004+ STs have the more standard, high torque nut to lock down the sprocket laterally. Inboard / outboard play is not a good thing for wear, this is not a slip joint.

Ancient nascar rear differentials have little to do with our application.

A supplementary keeper with the depth that holds the sprocket in place laterally will, however minimally, reduce wear. Given the amount of wear in the OP, something is needed or a total rebuild will be needed.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
Sorry, but I did not misinterpret.

This older style of locking the sprocket is great for maintenance and quick changes, but not so good for longevity. There is very little inboard / outboard play in the as-new setup. Play is introduced as the retainer and shaft eat into each other, esp when the retainer is badly worn as can be seen as steps in the original pic. The 2004+ STs have the more standard, high torque nut to lock down the sprocket laterally. Inboard / outboard play is not a good thing for wear, this is not a slip joint.

Ancient nascar rear differentials have little to do with our application.

A supplementary keeper with the depth that holds the sprocket in place laterally will, however minimally, reduce wear. Given the amount of wear in the OP, something is needed or a total rebuild will be needed.

Have a good one.

I agree based on what I've seen with my setup, very similar to the OP's without quite the amount of damage to the splines. The overall excessive float on the spline hasn't done anything any favors.
tonered likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in