Shorai batteries - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 8:32 pm

Have a Shorai on the 999s and a Yuasa AMG standard on the ST, been in place for five years on the 999s. Yes, the Shorai is a hard starter in the cold, especially as I wasn't informed about the starting procedure below 40 degrees. Now it's not a problem and has never failed since I got correct instruction. I've always had the proprietary charger on it, however, and am on the second charger. My experience is that the Shorai is still a bit tricky and in need of attention. The Yuasa works every time. In a long trip, right now I still want the AMG on the bike. Maybe my lack of imagination, so be it.

The Shorai is excellent for high comp engines, and is very good for all kinds of other situations. But the ST is hefty, and I'm not so concerned about weight on it as I am on the 999s.

I have heard about Shorai issues, most of which - so far as I understand them - boil down to two situations: First, not using an appropriate charger. Second, not ensuring that the battery is isolated from parasitic draw without the charger.

Shorai — nothing but excellent service from them. I call them, they answer the phone. We chat. They identify the problem and remedy it. I have yet to talk to anyone with a different experience. When the first charger went belly up, they identified the problem, never asked for a receipt (which I was ready to produce) only the date of sale, and then sent me a replacement with excellent instructions on how to send the original back to them so I wouldn't be issued a core charge. All around, well done. No complaints.

Perhaps the only complaint I would have is - as I already said - that they did not inform me at the beginning the cold-starting procedure. I had to learn it from the shop owner I used to go to. Once that was in hand, everything afterwards was walk in the park. At this point, I can't imagine anyone purchasing a Shorai would be so ignorant as not to learn of this before the point of sale, but five years ago it wasn't so clear.

Ron
tonered likes this.

2005 999s Hephaistos polumetis
2003 ST4s ABS Senna Petrarca peregrinus ubique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-simian View Post
..........I have heard about Shorai issues, most of which - so far as I understand them - boil down to two situations: First, not using an appropriate charger. Second, not ensuring that the battery is isolated from parasitic draw without the charger.

Perhaps the only complaint I would have is - as I already said - that they did not inform me at the beginning the cold-starting procedure. I had to learn it from the shop owner I used to go to. Once that was in hand, everything afterwards was walk in the park. At this point, I can't imagine anyone purchasing a Shorai would be so ignorant as not to learn of this before the point of sale, but five years ago it wasn't so clear.

Ron
Interesting. The dealer, actually the manager of this aftermarket accessory shop with over 100 locations, talked up the Shorai battery but didn't necessarily push Shorai's proprietary charger. In fact he brought out a far less expensive charger to compare but did recommend staying same-same. He said he uses a Shorai on his Honda whatever crotchrocket but after reading comments here and surfing the interwebs I'm seeing a constant theme; a Shorai may not work as well on bikes with factory or aftermarket accessories.

For what it's worth, the Shorai lithium battery w/factory charger is just over $300 plus tax. That's the dealer's price. I'm now trending towards an Odyssey PC680.

Randy,
'05 ST3, '02 BMW R1150RT &
'06 BMW K1200S
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post
The Shorai is about $100 less than an EarthX, buy a Battery Tender Jr / Lithium for $30.
For my ST2, from Shorai direct, cost is $190. EarthX is $210 direct.

From what I gather, most recommend using Shorai's proprietary charger ($85), while EarthX's circuitry allows for more options.

I'm more curious about EarthX due to their tech and the fact they're local to me. But so far my AGM is working just fine and likely won't get replaced any time soon.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Have a Shorai on my 2003 ST4s. Never, never could get it to crank in a lively fashion. It always seemed labored. Upgraded cables, new starter motor, clean cable connections and they are very tight and even sent the battery back to Shorai for an inspection. All good. I use the proprietary charger too.

I've checked for parasitic draw. Nothing of any consequence at all.

The only thing I've not done is compared the results with a know good AGM. Too lazy I suppose.

Would I recommend it? Not for an ST variant. Weight saving is negligible vs whole package, and the price and use of dedicated charger doesn't make sense.

Only reason I have it is it came with the bike.

S
beemerboy likes this.

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2018, 3:03 pm

I have used a Shorai battery since 2012. I have nothing but good to say about Shorai Customer Service and the battery’s starting capabilities.

When it works!

I currently have a 66% failure rate with this battery. The first one I bought lasted about three months. Shorai replaced it. The replacement battery lasted about five years. I replaced that battery in October 2017. That battery lasted until about March 2018. I replaced that battery with my last ever Shorai and it died ON THE SHORAI BRAND CHARGER today in June 2018. I am sure Shorai would replace this battery, but I have been let down by their products for the last time. Time to move on. Oh, just to head off questions, yes, the only charger I have ever used on any of these batteries was a Shorai charger.

Any suggestions from anybody about any battery that might last?

Zoomie: ST3S Lucrezia, BMW R1200RS
Gone: Guzzi Breva 1100,Bultaco Metralla & UJMCs
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2018, 5:47 pm

My Shorai battery was installed December 2011 and is still plugging away on a 2002 ST-4s. It is on a Shorai battery tender.

2002 ST-4s "Dolly"
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2018, 8:46 am

I’m beginning to wonder if I might have a faulty Shorai charger that is causing my problems with the batteries failing?

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 10:36 am

Update

I returned both the Shorai charger and battery to Cycle Gear. I replaced the battery with one that fits the BMW. yeah, I never learn. Anyway, I also bought an Optimate charger. I put the Optimate on the Shorai, and it allegedly restored the original six year old Ducati Shorai battery. That battery was installed in the Ducati and ridden. Several days later, that battery crapped out. Removed battery. Put on Optimate. Battery restored,again. Shorai charger would do nothing for it. I had two Shorai chargers. I’m thinking I might have a current drain problem besides the ECU. Something else to do in a hot garage.

The Beemer is, so far, doing well with its Shorai, but I have an Optimate battery monitor and the GPS tracks the voltage.

So, what is the problem? Are the newer Shorai crap? Are Shorai chargers crap? Is the Optimate charger the way to go?

I have no answers, yet, it I am tired of removing and installing that damned fairing!

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 6:52 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Is anyone going to tell us what the correct cold weather starting procedure is, or do I have to buy a battery first ? I don’t have a friendly shop owner around here to tell me the secret.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Update

I returned both the Shorai charger and battery to Cycle Gear. I replaced the battery with one that fits the BMW. yeah, I never learn. Anyway, I also bought an Optimate charger. I put the Optimate on the Shorai, and it allegedly restored the original six year old Ducati Shorai battery. That battery was installed in the Ducati and ridden. Several days later, that battery crapped out. Removed battery. Put on Optimate. Battery restored,again. Shorai charger would do nothing for it. I had two Shorai chargers. I’m thinking I might have a current drain problem besides the ECU. Something else to do in a hot garage.

The Beemer is, so far, doing well with its Shorai, but I have an Optimate battery monitor and the GPS tracks the voltage.

So, what is the problem? Are the newer Shorai crap? Are Shorai chargers crap? Is the Optimate charger the way to go?

I have no answers, yet, it I am tired of removing and installing that damned fairing!
Sounds like it may be time to check the charging system on your ST. Well documented issues with voltage regulator, stator and connections could be your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode