ST2 appropriate engine service tools - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By rhubarbray
  • 1 Post By mick.335
  • 1 Post By twerth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2017, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Smile ST2 appropriate engine service tools

Just bought a 1998 ST2 rather cheaply with the typical service needs:
Most urgent of these is the starter sprag bearing/clutch but there will be much more I am guessing at 65,000km.
I have partaken of the Service Manual (thank you) and have ordered the Desmotimes guide for desmodue.

I am trying to buy HDESA (or similar) tools to (in the first instance) take out the clutch and get to the starter, check out the state of the stator (and the clutch). Because I'm in Oz, to save multiple purchases and postage I figured a kit would be the go. On HDESA ebay site and regular website I could not find an ST2 engine service tool kit. I contacted HDESA on their ebay site. They were very prompt and helpful but I am not sure our communication has worked out right. They said to use this kit for the ST2:

DUCATI 900 SS / 750 SS HDESA Engine / Service Tool Kit | eBay

I didn't see ST2 in the list of bikes, so I emailed to verify and they again said it was this kit. I have heard that some later 900 SS bikes had a related engine block (to the ST2) but some tools look unfamiliar in comparison to others I've seen for the ST2 on HDESA's site (such as the flywheel tool). It would be prudent to avoid spending $600 Au on the wrong gear so I be sure there's no mistake. I thought I should ask the greatest source of English language Ducati knowledge on the planet: you guys.

If someone who has a kit or some of the engine service tools could look at the HDESA tool kit in the link (or if you know about the mechanical nature of listed bikes compared with the ST2) and tell me if it seems right, I'd be grateful indeed

Rich (Newb from Australia)

Richard

Gold Coast, Qld Australia
1998 ST2
1991 Kawasaki ZR750
1972 VW Type 2
1999 Land Rover Discovery II
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2017, 9:03 am

I`ve purchased a flywheel holder for my ST2 and it seems to depend on your year of bike. Earlier bikes needed this holder:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachme...s-dec-2010.jpg

while later ones,(mine is a 2002) need this type of holder"

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHq...Q~~/s-l300.jpg
dolphinberserk likes this.

`02 ST2, 2000 CBR1100XX, 2007 Aprilia Tuono, and just last year a 1998 Honda Valkyrie
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2017, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Thank you Rhubarbray, that is very helpful advice.

It is very helpful indeed because I wasn't aware of that difference (although I have noticed many people's comments on various changes in that area of the bike after the early years - stator etc).
It is starting to make sense why an engine service "kit for the ST2" isn't available - because the ST2 is kinda two different bikes.
I'll use these two pictures for cross reference and make sure HDESA know I'm talking about the older ST2.

I've noticed people looking in vain for a 98' period ST2 parts catalog/list. It'd be great to find one to get the part numbers for tools, sensors, stator, etc.
(But that might be a bit too easy and then a used St2 mightn't be so cheap.)

Thank you again kindly and safe riding to you in the Canadian early summer.

Richard

1998 ST2
1991 Kawasaki ZR750
1972 VW Type 2

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2017, 8:19 am

The tools I have found useful on my ST2 and S4 for general maintenance, valve adjustments, clutch issues and pulling the heads and cylinders:
- clutch tool
- alternator cover puller
- 15mm "bent" wrench to access head bolts
- engine turning tool

You can make the alternator cover tool and a tool to pull the rockers. A screwdriver with a knotch in the blade is useful for installing rocker springs. There are videos on-line that show various tools to facilitate measuring closer shim gaps. If you want to play with your FI you will need other stuff.

If you're going into the bottom end you'll need additional tools.... not been there yet.

2001 ST2, 2002 MS4, 1977 XLCR, 1970 XLH
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Garage
Here's a post about a couple of tools I made several years ago. This was for an ST4s, but I still use the rocker depressor on my ST3s and 999. I've bought very few "special" tools for my Ducs over the years. With a little searching, I've been able to find a way to make just about everything I need.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport...djustment.html

2006 ST3s ABS, 1991 Suzuki GSX-R750
2000 Yamaha WR400, 2003 Honda TRX300ex
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinberserk View Post
Thank you Rhubarbray, that is very helpful advice.

It is very helpful indeed because I wasn't aware of that difference (although I have noticed many people's comments on various changes in that area of the bike after the early years - stator etc).
It is starting to make sense why an engine service "kit for the ST2" isn't available - because the ST2 is kinda two different bikes.
I'll use these two pictures for cross reference and make sure HDESA know I'm talking about the older ST2.

I've noticed people looking in vain for a 98' period ST2 parts catalog/list. It'd be great to find one to get the part numbers for tools, sensors, stator, etc.
(But that might be a bit too easy and then a used St2 mightn't be so cheap.)

Thank you again kindly and safe riding to you in the Canadian early summer.
If you go to Ducati Omaha and look up your year of ST there will be a complete listing of tooling in the preliminary pages. I believe the files only go back to 2000 but you can contact them for a file.
I just checked for the flywheel holder and it looks like all the ST2`s up to 2002 used the earlier serrated style holder. For the last year, 2002, they switched to the larger "C" frame.

Thanks for comment on the early summer but we`re having what may be the wettest spring on record. I think I`ve put on about 400km in the last month! Many places in eastern Canada have had severe flooding, much of it near me.

`02 ST2, 2000 CBR1100XX, 2007 Aprilia Tuono, and just last year a 1998 Honda Valkyrie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2017, 6:02 am Thread Starter

This is very helpful information, Mick.335, thank you indeed.
In particular the notched driver for rocker springs is nice to know - I'll remember to make one before I get to that job.

Richard

1998 ST2
1991 Kawasaki ZR750
1972 VW Type 2
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2017, 6:09 am Thread Starter

Thank you Twerth. I checked out this tools for valve adjustment. Some great ideas and skills there.
I've used a TDC gauge just like the one in your pics..

Thank you again

Richard

1998 ST2
1991 Kawasaki ZR750
1972 VW Type 2
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2017, 6:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbray View Post
If you go to Ducati Omaha and look up your year of ST there will be a complete listing of tooling in the preliminary pages. I believe the files only go back to 2000 but you can contact them for a file.
I just checked for the flywheel holder and it looks like all the ST2`s up to 2002 used the earlier serrated style holder. For the last year, 2002, they switched to the larger "C" frame.

Thanks for comment on the early summer but we`re having what may be the wettest spring on record. I think I`ve put on about 400km in the last month! Many places in eastern Canada have had severe flooding, much of it near me.
Thanks Rhubarbray, I'll check out Ducati Omaha for information now and in future. Thanks for checking out the FW holder - I'm still getting used to how Ducati seems to make many incremental changes (a good thing). I'm used to older simpler technology. Maybe this is the difference in buying from a proper racing bike manufacturer, where they perhaps release new designs earlier and adjust things as they go. The engine block from my (albeit retro) Kawasaki barely changed from the 80's to the late 2000's.

I should do my research. I didn't realise you'd had all that rain. (If it's any consolation we're having recording breaking autumn rains in Queensland - but it tends to come down about 300mm at a time, washing a bunch of livestock out to sea; then the sun comes out and everything goes back to normal). I hope you get a dry-off and that rain has washed the roads down well (without too many potholes).

Thanks again and safe riding!

Richard

1998 ST2
1991 Kawasaki ZR750
1972 VW Type 2
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2017, 11:15 am

st2 service tools

hi from uk
stator magnetic type r92 r93 changed in 1999 from 1phase 2 wire to 3 phase and flywheel changed as well

the photo is the older stator lock tool fits our st 2 is a 14 fin type r92 r93 st has the 1phase r92 2yellow wire and shunt reg/rec fitted after 1999/2000 all 3phase 3 wire

that photo is one of mine that i make in uk for older st and dukes 14 fin type holder lock on the work shop floor, ask your dealer to check if your st has had the updated bush fitted to the rear of the stator which flows more eng oil over the stator as you ride give him your eng ducati hold all info need any help just ask only a email away

here is my bush to the rear of stator it is not a milled slot it is a radius so oil flows from hole in crank shaft to stator as ducati had a few hick ups early sts

the ducati dry clutch tool locks on the floor no bolting to the eng i make them laser cut in 8mm mild steel all one

here is your magnetic stator 14 fin type st2 1998 1phase 2 wire 450watt out put st2 only

mike st2 uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98 Modified St2 Stator Spacer 002.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	874.5 KB
ID:	818417   Click image for larger version

Name:	my st2 clutch tool.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	818441   Click image for larger version

Name:	st2 1998  magntic  stator.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	818449   Click image for larger version

Name:	98 Modified St2 Stator Spacer 004.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	818641  

Last edited by mike shannon; May 18th, 2017 at 5:53 pm. Reason: post pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode