Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Weird Idea - ST How to Sticky

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Yorik 
#1 ·
I had this weird idea pop into my head. Since we have only five stickys and a couple of them are useless, I am wondering about a single How To sticky for links to tech and troubleshooting items for our STs. My thought would be that this is a single post in a locked thread so that it doesn't get cluttered. It would be something like the old ST FAQ or ducatiwiki.net. There would be headings for categories like engine, electrical, ergos, parts, etc. Under those would be a three line subject, such as:

Ride Height Rod:
Link
Credit

Cheap Manometer:
Link
Credit

The Link could point to the HoW, a shared link on a cloud drive, or some website. A Credit should be included for the user that submitted it. This is more for help with the subject or a contact if the link goes down.

Since it would be a closed thread, my suggestion would be to create a thread for submissions. If a few other folks find it worthy, it can be added to the sticky by a Mod. This keeps the How To thread short and immediately readable and searchable.

I know this sounds a lot like the HoW, but it find that forum to be a jumble with all of the other models with too much info about bikes older and newer than the STs.

Lemme know what you think or if it sounds like too big of a pain? This new sticky could potentially take the place of the Parts, SMs, and Model Info stickys?

Have a good one.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, if you want to give it a go, I say show us whacha got. :smile2:

We can probably nuke the Model Info thread. I think we know enough about our 10+ year old bikes by now. :surprise:

#4 ·
I'll contribute. Tony, if you're goingvto take the kead on this, maybe assign some of us a topic or two. Maybe just a list of topic ideas we can choose from.

#5 ·
Assignments are not my thing, but if there is a helpful topic that sticks out in people's minds, then just toss up a subject and a link.

I am working on a starter post.

As for subject areas, any good thread on stuff that is asked about over and over would be great, like the pushrod length issue, bearing sizes (since duc wiki is gone), special tools, parts sources, plastic welding / fairing repairs, fan switch installation, GPS mounts, tank bag mounts, etc. Anything that is general or specific to our STs is great. It is about putting all the links and great threads / posts that folks are searching for in one spot.

Another issue that makes thread searches a pain is that a good post about a fix is buried in an ongoing thread. Having a link to the problem and one for the solution in the How To thread could shortcut this?

One that I am wondering about is how to check parasitic battery drain (I think it is putting my DMM between the negative side of the harness and the battery terminal with the key off, but I need to verify this). I'm swapping in a new battery this weekend and want to do that check while I am there. In this case, it could be filed under Electrical / Battery as battery drain (parasitic) with a link and acknowledgement (probably stick, right? =) )?

Also, I received a message from DropBox that they are changing their shared files policy. I am not sure if that is going to change the links in the SMs thread. If so, we might have to nuke that one and possibly put the new links in this thread? I haven't looked into this yet.

Have a good one.

#6 ·
Maybe an effort at consolidation first. Most anything you can imagine has been beat to death here and on other MC / Ducati centric forums. By beat to death, I mean asked and answered numerous times. We still get folks asking about where to find online service manuals, and there is a sticky covering most models right at the top in here. I feel many don't know to look for a sticky first. There are tons of topics covered in the HOW and the Mechanical Tech section of this forum already. Digging through it would be a start. Links may need updating for some things, that may be a good place to start.

If everything was in one section and people knew where to look for it, what the heck would we have left to talk about?

#7 ·
Yes. That is exactly what I was hoping that this How To thread would be. Just the cream of the crop for all those questions that always get asked. Instead of telling folks to search for threads or links, we can just point them to the ST How To post. It is going to be a long one, but if it is generally organized and closed for posting, it should be easy to find the info.

There was as person in another forum that used a unique keyword for very useful posts, but even that got bastardized over time because folks would use the keyword in posts looking for the keyword posts.

Maybe it could be the reborn ST FAQ?

Have a good one.

#8 ·
<<<<Placing my DMM between the negative side of the harness and the battery terminal with the key off, but I need to verify this>>>>

Hi Tony, That's correct. Remove the large screw from the (-) end of the battery, and insert your ammeter between the lifted cable and the (-) battery post.

I typically see around 2 mA of parasitic drain. That's 0.002 A. It's very small, but it's enough to warrant using a battery tender.

And again, I use the $20 Schumacher (sp?) unit from Walmart (they're about 1.5A or 1.75A units), along with a 24 hr. timer, so that it takes a "fresh" look at the battery once a day. This tops it up, goes into float, then shuts it off, and repeat the next day.

Reactions: tonered
#12 ·
After I realized that I was trying to measure mA with the probe plugged into the V / Ohms socket, I found a 3.25mA drain. The additional drain over your number is probably due to my onboard voltmeter.

I did monitor that during a start about a day after a fresh charge and found it dropping down to the 5V region. So, the old battery was kaput. New one in and doing great. Thanks for the help.

If y'all let me know which threads you want un-stuck I will do it straight away.
Thanks, Scott.

Once I get a decent post ready (I've been slacking a little), I will coordinate on the thoughts / changes?

Have a good one.

#9 ·
Thanks, Stick. I think everything is good, but it has been struggling in the cold. I think it is the switch back to M1 15w-50 and the old battery. I just wanted to confirm.

I have one Deltran and one Schumacher. They're on the timer. It makes just too much sense. This battery is about 5yrs old and came to me from another ST. I'm good with that. The new battery was free from Amazon after some rewards points and a gift card. Hahaha!

Going for at least 8yrs with the new one.

Have a good one.

#10 ·
Thanks for making the effort to establish a current How To/ST FAQ. I read the old ST FAQ all the time and really love the fact that it's written by the folks that love the bikes rather than the pro/factory procedure writers.

I bought my second ST2 awhile back and thought I had a great deal until I found out the crankcase has a bad bearing or two in it ready to screw up the whole crankcase - so I'll be contemplating what to do about the situation and such a document as you propose is just what my doctor orders me to digest!

It'll sure be nice not to have to filter through 10 or 15 different threads with similar issues to find the best solution - err, if there IS a best solution. But then you can always have the various solutions listed in order of ease and effectiveness, too.

Cheers!

Reactions: tonered
#11 ·
If y'all let me know which threads you want un-stuck I will do it straight away.

#14 ·
Alright. The next post will contain my weaksauce first cut at the ST How To post. Please copy and paste it to make any suggestions, changes, or additions. Then, the last post can be the one to go with.

Also, I did not attempt to break out anything between the models yet. I think if it is something very specific, we could just add the model in parentheses at the end of the subject?

Have a good one.

#15 ·
Ducati.ms ST FAQs and How To Post

This post is a closed post to be used as an ST specific library of threads and posts that are found most useful by the users of this forum.

To nominate an addition or revision to the this post, create a thread or post with a link to the addition or explain the revision. If other forum members find the addition or revision useful, then a moderator will make the change to the this post.

If posting a problem and a resolution, please include a link to both the problem post and the post that gives the fix.

ST Model Info:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-spor...-please-read-ducati-sport-touring-models.html
Bill_Anderson

Equivalent Parts Thread:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/118762-equivalent-parts-st-bikes.html
Everyone

Service / Workshop Manual Thread:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/136183-service-workshop-manuals.html
tonered

Old ST FAQ:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71253082/Ducati ST - FAQ.pdf
tonered

Sections:

Batteries / Electrical:

Air Horns:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/630642-air-horn-not.html
Everyone

Current Check - Parasitic Drain:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/636362-weird-idea-st-how-sticky.html#post6179818
Stick

Bearings:

Brakes:

Chain and Sprockets:

Clutch:

Fuel and Air:

Fuel Lines in Tank:
Need a good post here!

Exhaust:

GPS / Accessory Mounts:

Handlebars and Controls:

Headlight - DD and others:

Maintenance:

Mirrors:

Mirror Springs:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/621506-mirror-springs-help.html#post6058482
Yorik

Panniers / Cases:

Seats:

Suspension:

Adjustable Ride Height Rod:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/498745-ride-height-adjustment-rod-st2.html#post5829521
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/498745-ride-height-adjustment-rod-st2.html#post5829537
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/498745-ride-height-adjustment-rod-st2.html#post6185665
VagabondSD

Tires:

Tools:

Windscreens / Fairings:

#16 ·
I created a new thread with your post above and stuck it.

#19 ·
Yeah. Just post up something that you think should belong and if a other members back it, it can be added to the post. With as many threads that have been posted here, it gives folks the chance to possibly pull up another post that covers the subject in more detail.

Unless you can think of something that is easier? I'm kind of just winging this.

Have a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.