St4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

St4

Looking into buying my first Duck an 2000 ST4 anybody have an opinion on this model/bike/year. The dealer is listing it @ $6599.00 and Kellys Blue Book say $5795.00 I emailed the dealer to ask why this was. Opinions anybody????

thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 3:12 pm

Unless it's got very low miles and/or a lot of extras, that seems high to me for a plain ST4 (which a 2000 model would be). But then I haven't been shopping and the market could have changed. I know the ST2 is worth considerably less.

If you're new to the brand, check out the FAQ -- lots of good info.http://www.perryr.com/DucatiSTFAQ.html
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm
Ducati Designs

Great bike, last year before they downgraded the suspension (in preparation for the ST4S release). Great motor, chassis, brakes. Unless it has super low miles and/or some very valuable add-ons, that's too much loot. More like low fives would seem right. Be sure it comes with the luggage.

Good hunting!

pg
DD

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 5:44 pm

I have a 99 ST4 with 43000 miles. Best bike I have ever owned. Does everything well, 2 up, commuting, twisties, etc. No major problems, but have replaced 2 opening rockers due to flaking which can be a common problem.

Mike
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 6:03 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I'm with Ducati Mike, same amount of miles too.
I wouldn't take that for mine.

"Beware the lollypop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever. " Timothy Leary

“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.” EJ Potter

Robert
2015 Multistrada TourS
Past 99 ST4 Red
2003 ST4s Red
2 750 GTs
1961 Velocette in 1953 Featherbed
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
Looking into buying my first Duck an 2000 ST4 anybody have an opinion on this model/bike/year. The dealer is listing it @ $6599.00 and Kellys Blue Book say $5795.00 I emailed the dealer to ask why this was. Opinions anybody????

thanks
Dan
Dan, I have a '99 St4. It's a terrific bike. That price is way out of line imho. Even super clean with mods and low miles i think you are looking at 5k, maybe 5.5k max for an ST4. For people who know the bike and appreciate all it has to offer, there's a lot of value for the money, but very, very few people are shopping for these bikes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:31 pm

New to the forum. First post. Love having something dedicated to just the sport touring crowd.

Price may be high, but more important, what is the mileage, and what is the maintenance record. If all the service work has been done, price is not as big a factor, as the service work is costly. Also, what kind of upgrades does the bike have. I bought my 2204 ST4s two years ago, price was kind of high, but had nice upgrades and service was up to date. Tires, chain, sprockets, stock or aftermarket pipe. All these goodies can cost a lot, so if it has some of these nice things, price might not look so bad. I love my bike and what was done to it, don't regret one bit that I paid a premium for it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:59 pm

I would like to comment on the price. My experience has been that it is a mistake to pay a premium for something, especially during a tough economy. I can't think of a better time for a buyer than right now. When I say premium I mean retail or above.
I was looking at buying a Ford Edge about 6 months ago and they wouldn't budge on the sticker price. I walked. I saw the same car advertised this month for 5k less. Sure glad I walked.

Ducati 2006 ST3s, Suzuki DRZ400E, Dallas

http://www.fredericky.com/mybike.htm
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:07 am Thread Starter

emailed

Well I emailed and pm'ed the dealer/owner and haven't heard back form him. The bike has been listed with them for at least 6 mons. I wonder if it on consignment ??? Also found an ST3 2005 which seems to have a better price point.. Thanks for all the info and feedback

Dan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:20 am

I'll chim in with the others, $6600 is too much for a 9 year old bike. What kind of waranty did he offer?

For that kind of money, you could find something newer like an ST3 with low mileage, if that's what moves you, but that would be a private sale. Check out criagslist for pricing similar models in different parts on the country.

'05 ST3
'90 906 Paso
It's not just a Ducati, it's a disease!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode