St3 upgraded suspension 996 forks, yes its possible. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

St3 upgraded suspension 996 forks, yes its possible.

Okay decided after riding the track for a year and on a bike with some real suspension that my street bikes suspension needed a little TLC. I had read on here that people had sent off their St3 forks and a donor set of 996 forks and they received them back. Only problem is no one ever said how it was done... After looking up the parts diagrams and determining that the 996 and the St3 used the same seals it was obvious that the fork tubes (inner tubes) were the same size. I had also read their was a length difference (yes the 996 forks are SHORTER). After pulling both Sets apart u just used St bushings and new seals. The 996 upper bushing is thicker then the ST3 bushing its seems so I had to use ST3 bushings at least for the inner bushing. As for the fork cap the 996 is also larger and will not directly screw on so I had to dismantle the ST3 cap and 996 cap and take the per load adjusters apart and then the rebound rod portion out of the center of the cap (it all unscrews). Then transfer all the rebound rod components over.

2004 ST3 Ducati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

2004 ST3 Ducati
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

2004 ST3 Ducati

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

The difference in length is about 0.400, being the 996 fork or the new "hybrid" for is 0.400 shorter then the factory st3 fork. I also went "backwards" with the shock. I purchased a used 98 ST2 shock since it was shows instead of a Sachs unit. I rebuilt it with a 107 n/m apring , gold valve, rebound isolator and some fresh seals and oil. All I have to say is wow.. ...... the bike is so different I have to learn how to re ride it. It is much more compliant but I also get a lot more feed back from the front, the bike does not nose dive anymore after rolling off throttle. Under hard acceleration the bike does not squat and squirm all over. I also put in some roller bearings in the steering neck. At 180 lbs I feel the factory springs from the 996 shocks work well, I still need to set sag as it was 9:30 at night when I got it buttoned all back up.

2004 ST3 Ducati
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2014, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

I also want to say that this only works with St3's with shows shocks. I think later on they changed shocks on the St3 models

2004 ST3 Ducati
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2014, 2:19 am
Life is too short to worry !

Why did you not just rebuild using the standard ST3 forks ?

"The Grey Assassin" - 2005 ST4s
Goldvalves , Re-sprung rear Ohlins , Tapered headrace bearings , Galfer Front Discs , Open airbox with K&N filter , Iridium NGK's with Magnecor Leads , 15/42T Cogs , Helibars with Oxford heated grips , HID Lights , CRG 'Stubby' Levers , Zero Gravity DB Dark Screen , Twin-Tone Fiamm Horns plus a bunch of 'detailing' modifications.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2014, 2:36 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang View Post
I also want to say that this only works with St3's with shows shocks. I think later on they changed shocks on the St3 models
Exactly!. Following some old threats on this forum, two year ago I had bought a set of a 996S, to swap my original ST3 set.
Following the -let’s say- classic path, I had changed the valves, springs, bushings, seals and oil by a Racetech set, (well except the oil, that I used the Motorex one, because I had read that is basically the same, and here in Europe, is easiest –and cheaper- to found it, than the Racetech products).

After changed everything, and when I was mounting back all together, I discover than are not so straight replacement as I have read… because the caps of the 996 forks are ticker than the original ones, so are not possible to changed directly; perhaps could be possible to use both parts and create a certain kind of hybrid, but not if you doesn’t has machinery help/support, which is far away of our standard level as enthusiastic of the “Do It Yourself”.

Finally I mounted back all to the originals (all the components of the 996 on the 996 forks, and the same with the ST3), and decide to increase the size of the holes on the top of the triple clamp set, and for sure add some shims of the lower triple clamp to fix perfectly the forks… somehow the old and classic way.

A “couple” of remarks concerning with the process:
- NEVER believe everything that appears on the web… and be flexible!
- Is true: The length of the 996 is shorter that the original ST3 (around 1,5 cm). In any case this, IMHO helps to improve the handling in the turns. One thing that this bike really needs.
- I had used the adjustments suggested on the web page of Racetech for the ST4, but be careful with the oil: I does a mistake using the Motorex SAE 5W, when, in fact, the right one should be the 7,5W… that I had changed recently and get a impressive improve on the performance of the set.
- My understanding is that bike had a certain trend to turn “wide”, I suppose that mostly because doesn’t has a good control of the hydraulics on extension. With the adjustable forks this issue was finally fixed… and I start my first steps on these fascinating world of the suspension setup.

L’sss

1985 Cagiva Alazurra 350
1995 Ducati 900 SS
2005 Ducati ST3
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2014, 6:28 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang View Post
I had also read their was a length difference (yes the 996 forks are SHORTER).
Just to keep things in perspective for others considering a similar mod, the forks installed on the ST2, ST4 and ST4s (basically all the 2003 and below bikes) are shorter than both the SBK and the ST3. No idea how it would impact the same swap, but I would at least be sure the SBK internals would allow for a full compression stroke in the shorter forks.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2014, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
Why did you not just rebuild using the standard ST3 forks ?
I wanted fully adjustable forks as the ST3 forks are preload only and the internal valving leaves a lot to be desired.

2004 ST3 Ducati
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2014, 6:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabier perez View Post
Exactly!. Following some old threats on this forum, two year ago I had bought a set of a 996S, to swap my original ST3 set.
Following the -let’s say- classic path, I had changed the valves, springs, bushings, seals and oil by a Racetech set, (well except the oil, that I used the Motorex one, because I had read that is basically the same, and here in Europe, is easiest –and cheaper- to found it, than the Racetech products).

After changed everything, and when I was mounting back all together, I discover than are not so straight replacement as I have read… because the caps of the 996 forks are ticker than the original ones, so are not possible to changed directly; perhaps could be possible to use both parts and create a certain kind of hybrid, but not if you doesn’t has machinery help/support, which is far away of our standard level as enthusiastic of the “Do It Yourself”.

Finally I mounted back all to the originals (all the components of the 996 on the 996 forks, and the same with the ST3), and decide to increase the size of the holes on the top of the triple clamp set, and for sure add some shims of the lower triple clamp to fix perfectly the forks… somehow the old and classic way.

A “couple” of remarks concerning with the process:
- NEVER believe everything that appears on the web… and be flexible!
- Is true: The length of the 996 is shorter that the original ST3 (around 1,5 cm). In any case this, IMHO helps to improve the handling in the turns. One thing that this bike really needs.
- I had used the adjustments suggested on the web page of Racetech for the ST4, but be careful with the oil: I does a mistake using the Motorex SAE 5W, when, in fact, the right one should be the 7,5W… that I had changed recently and get a impressive improve on the performance of the set.
- My understanding is that bike had a certain trend to turn “wide”, I suppose that mostly because doesn’t has a good control of the hydraulics on extension. With the adjustable forks this issue was finally fixed… and I start my first steps on these fascinating world of the suspension setup.

L’sss
I did not have to do any machining for the caps, I just dismanteled the cap into its components and swapped the rebound parts over to the st cap. It was all just unscrew and then retighten.

2004 ST3 Ducati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode