Aerostich Roadcrafter Suits - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Aerostich Roadcrafter Suits

I am thinking of buying a new Aerostich one piece suite for riding and touring and was wondering if anyone has a comment about them. Would you buy another one or would you buy something different? They are a lot of money and just wanted some ideas.

Thanks Jack

Jack

2001 M750 Red
2003 ST4s Senna Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:48 pm

I have had the same one piece Aerostich suit since 1989. It is a very versatile and durable suit. It is easy to get on and off and it is comfortable from about 40-85 degrees. I wear it over everything from shorts and a t-shirt in hot weather to my electric vest or jacket in cold weather. It is pretty water resistant. It takes a long ride in heavy rain before you get wet. I wear it whenever I am touring or when it looks like rain.I definitely recommend it and would by another one.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:47 pm

I have worn them for years and would definitely buy another. They are very durable and water tight. Furthermore it is a great company to deal with.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:53 am

I've had mine for less than a year, but so far I'm impressed with it. I concur with the above statements, but I have noticed that it's mostly in its element when you're riding a bike with a fairly standard riding position. On sport-touring bikes, or my Hypermotard, it's excellent. But riding my Sport 1000 or my Superbike, it's a little awkward. I know they make a "wedge" piece that zips in between the jacket and pants, but even with that piece it still gets all bunched up and cumbersome when riding a full sport bike.

Since this is the Sport Touring forum, I have to say go for it. But if you have other sport bikes that you ride, just keep that in mind...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 1:01 am

I have been wearing one for a while now. Very convenience for commuting as I can wear my change of clothes underneath. Aside from the zippers getting worn out, the suit has been good to me.

Yes, I would buy another.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 4:07 am

Aerostitch

I too own one, and use it almost all the time, but admittedly, it isn't right for every occasion. If I'm going on a long tour, it the logical choice, as I don't know what I'll encounter. If I'm commuting, its great. Slip in on, slip it off, ready for work. Hell, you could look like James Bond ready for a dinner part underneath that thing, if you looked like James Bond.

For weekend rides on the sport bike, I prefer something a bit different, and something that I can walk into a coffee shop with.

My only complaint is that it is drafty at the neck, and there isn't a good solution for that. I end up wearing a vest if its under 50.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil

02 ST4s
90 Nuovo Sport (x2)
72 450 R/T
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 6:16 am

Not Too Hot....

Hello
I consider my 'Stich some essential riding gear for commuting.
It was actually a lot more practical when I lived in N. California that here in S. Texas, though. While I suppose it could be worn up to 85 deg. F, it would steam you in the humidity here. For me, it's a one season piece of equipment here, three season in CA.
Quite warm if you use an Aerostich "Wind Triangle" or similar to cover your exposed throat, and layer some insulation underneath the 'Stich.
And if I was forced to get intimate with the road surface, my 'Stich with added CE padding (back, hips, etc.) would be a good way to go.
I wound up going one size up when I added the back padding, though. It kind of moves the entire garment upward and backward an inch or so.

guido in Houston
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:44 am

I got mine since 1988, and wear it for all my riding. I found that on my old sport bike (CBR900), the knees bind a little bit with the knee pads, but not on the SC1000.

If you are planning to ride through winter, it may be a good idea to get one size larger than what you need for all the extra layers. You could also send it back for specific adjustments. The optional hard paddings are good but they are a b*tch to install. It may be due to the reason that my suit is a small size. I had to trim some pieces to make them fit. The customer service is pretty good.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 3:07 pm
North Carolina, USA

I've worn their stuff for years, and consider it essential gear. I now feel naked riding without it. The only shortcoming I've ever noticed with the one-piece is that in a good long rain, water will collect in the crotch area, and eventually get inside. This won't happen with the two-piece or their Darian stuff. I wear a one-piece 99.9% of the time, the only exception being short casual rides close to home. Even in hot, hot weather it works well with all the vents open. You can also get into and out of it in about 5 seconds.

Get the suit, it's the best, most versatile stuff out there for the price.

Last edited by mollycbr123; Sep 8th, 2007 at 3:12 pm.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Smoke if ya gottem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoduc
I am thinking of buying a new Aerostich one piece suite for riding and touring and was wondering if anyone has a comment about them. Would you buy another one or would you buy something different? They are a lot of money and just wanted some ideas.

Thanks Jack
It's 70 degrees out, low humidity, a little coastal wind blowing and I'm heading into town. My stich is hanging on the back of the bedroom door ready to go, but I'll probably wear my ancient leather jacket and draggin jeans. Why? For one thing I'm never really comfortable walking around stores wearing a red stich, it just seems too much like I'm posing. Sure I could take the stich off and store them somewhere but even rolled up they're no small package. On occasion I see someone's one-piece draped over their handlebars while the owner is in a restaurant but that just seems like a helluva lot of trouble to me. I know that's silly but it's how I feel. When I head out on a long ride I'm like several of the other riders, I wear the stich, it's simple to put on and you know you're pretty safe if you off-load. If I had to do it over I'd probably buy it in black and take my chances with low visibility. Maybe wear my florescent undies on the outside...woo hoo
rotsa ruck...
LL75

PS - I sure am glad they have a spell checker on this site, I had one helluva time with florescent...

Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

1970 Yamaha XS-1 650 (I bought it new )
2000 Aprilia Pegaso w/Sputnik hack
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2007 ST3s
2009 Piaggio MP3 500ie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode