Less bling on STs...ageism strikes again? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 11:47 pm Thread Starter

Less bling on STs...ageism strikes again?

So fellow ST owners, looking through the various picture threads across the board here today, I realized that most of the STs that have been comparatively very close to stock, whereas the Monster and SBK forums are filled with billet this, carbon fibre that, re-worked paint schemes, etc etc.

Do you think this is because the ST owners are putting their money into tires and fuel for their 500+ mile days, or because they are happy with their rides as-is and know it's not worth the money to farkle it out?

Obviously there have been exceptions, there are a few very trick STs that have been posted up here, but I'm speaking in general terms. Thoughts?

Anthony Gross
San Diego, California, United States of America

2000 Ducati ST2
LeoVinci Slip-Ons, DP Chip, Yoyodyne Slave, Sargent seat, Braketech iron rear rotor.
ZG Touring w/Laminar Lip for winter, stock for San Diego 10 month summer

Needs: Fresh Paint More Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixcinater
So fellow ST owners, looking through the various picture threads across the board here today, I realized that most of the STs that have been comparatively very close to stock, whereas the Monster and SBK forums are filled with billet this, carbon fibre that, re-worked paint schemes, etc etc.

Do you think this is because the ST owners are putting their money into tires and fuel for their 500+ mile days, or because they are happy with their rides as-is and know it's not worth the money to farkle it out?

Obviously there have been exceptions, there are a few very trick STs that have been posted up here, but I'm speaking in general terms. Thoughts?

Interesting observation as I noticed somewhat the same thing, but not just with Ducati. ST's in general are not track or hooligan's bike, but rather a gentleman's express. The bling factor usually goes into aspirations and suspension upgrades along with as you mentioned, more touring oriented expenses like cases, tires, seats and even levers, with the odd carbon fibre bit. That's not to say there aren't some really nice tricked-out units, but they are tastefully done, and not pimped, as understated seems to be the ST mode in a general sense. Good taste and maturity have little to do with age, though it does seem to help. :-)

Regards,

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 7:32 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Minimum bling on mine too. Not that I didn't try. I saved a few things from my SS that I thought were Ducati requirements. Open clutch cover with red spider thing, CRG bar end mirrors and the fender kit (ST is the same fitment as the SS). None of them looked right on the ST. Very out of place. The clutch cover wasn't bad, but the hooligan jingle / clack didn't fit. The bar end mirrors that worked so well on the SS (functionally and visually) didn't do it for me on the ST. Plus, the ST's mirrors work pretty well! The fender kit, errr, not so much. I think the ST looks the part. Nothing else needed. I have the bags off, carbon DP pipes, a ZG short screen (didn't like the shape of the stocker) and a Sargent seat. Looks fine. I just can't think of anything else to add. It can't possible be a maturity thing (for me anyway!)...

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS904
Minimum bling on mine too. Not that I didn't try. I saved a few things from my SS that I thought were Ducati requirements. Open clutch cover with red spider thing, CRG bar end mirrors and the fender kit (ST is the same fitment as the SS). None of them looked right on the ST. Very out of place. The clutch cover wasn't bad, but the hooligan jingle / clack didn't fit. The bar end mirrors that worked so well on the SS (functionally and visually) didn't do it for me on the ST. Plus, the ST's mirrors work pretty well! The fender kit, errr, not so much. I think the ST looks the part. Nothing else needed. I have the bags off, carbon DP pipes, a ZG short screen (didn't like the shape of the stocker) and a Sargent seat. Looks fine. I just can't think of anything else to add. It can't possible be a maturity thing (for me anyway!)...
I feel the same way, but lately the carbon fiber cans are calling to me. I'm thinking of adding one more CF part to go along with them. Maybe a front fender, or side vents, or gas tank key thing. I'm thinking on a black bike it won't jump out like crazy, and will still look a little understated. The last thing I want to look like is a 55 yr old poser.

2006 ST-3 Black
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 8:10 am
mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder
Interesting observation as I noticed somewhat the same thing, but not just with Ducati. ST's in general are not track or hooligan's bike, but rather a gentleman's express. The bling factor usually goes into aspirations and suspension upgrades along with as you mentioned, more touring oriented expenses like cases, tires, seats and even levers, with the odd carbon fibre bit. That's not to say there aren't some really nice tricked-out units, but they are tastefully done, and not pimped, as understated seems to be the ST mode in a general sense. Good taste and maturity have little to do with age, though it does seem to help. :-)
Totally agree with Stryder, although I have put a few thousand into mine, I keep it somewhat conservative looking (I think )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st4s.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	15013  

'08 ZX14 and '02 ZRX1200R
...previous Ducatis now sold... '05 999 and '02 ST4S
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 8:16 am
Still needs a life.

My upgrades are limited to practical/functional items for sport touring: heavier rear spring, AWACS trunk, 42T rear sprocket, Moto bag, GPS, mirror insets. My bike is a road warrior, not a parking lot poser. I don't even get upset about scratches as road warriors are bound to collect a few battle scars.

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:09 am

Everytime I think about changing something cosmetically on my ST3s I end up doing "A Fonzy" (One look at the bike, put up my hands and go, hey its perfect!"

Ducati 2006 ST3s, Suzuki DRZ400E, Dallas

http://www.fredericky.com/mybike.htm
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:24 am

I'd like a few more CF bits, but i'm in no hurry. Tires and gas works for me.

I would like a Speedymoto clutch cover and maybe a nice slipper clutch in the future.

2002 ST4s
2005 M620 (sold)
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:50 am

I guess I'm the opposite of most...I've got a speedymoto pressure plate and open clutch cover, STM clutch slave, red kevlar Fren Tubo brake and clutch lines, pretty much every piece of accessory carbon fiber (came on the bike), except the top tank piece, and of course, my Carbon/Magnesium Dymags...

Paul
'11 Multistrada 1200 S Touring
'02 ST4S (gone, but not forgotten!)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:50 am

I've added a fair amount of carbon fiber bits, levers, reservoir caps, clutch things, seats, etc. to my '99 ST2. I should be receiving CF air vents and instrument surrounds this week, and then I'm done.

1999 Ducati ST2 and 2003 H-D Ultra Classic FLHTCUI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode