ST4S timing/tensioner bearings? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:06 am Thread Starter

ST4S timing/tensioner bearings?

I have just recently acquired a 2003 ST4S with around 15,000 miles. Besides changing all the fluids and such I wanted to do the belts and the valves. However I have never done the belt bearings and I know they probably do not need to be replaced, but I want to do it for preventive maintenance and since it's January here in Ohio there's not much to do.

I am pretty sure there are 8 bearings total, correct? I called the dealer and they priced me 271 dollars for the bearings. Is there another place I can find the bearings for that bike and if so, what are the bearing sizes I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:17 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
Yep. Dealer raping. No other word for it. I paid $13/ea at NAPA and that was bit pricey.

Here you go for Part Numbers:
Bearings - DucatiWiki

You only need one per pulley, four total.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I am confused about the number of bearings though. There is four rollers each on the horizontal and vertical cylinder so wouldn't there be four bearings on each cylinder?

Last edited by ST$S; Jan 11th, 2013 at 10:45 am.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:52 am
Mr Leakered

Garage
The belt pulleys on the cams have stout open bearings to support each end of the cam. They are lubed by the motor oil. You can see these when you pull the cam to inspect the rockers or for shim swaps.

The fixed and eccentric pulleys use one fully sealed bearing each.

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:17 am

There is 2 bearings on the very bottom pulley, but you have to split the cases to change these. I did them when I replaced the main bearings. But they were in pretty good shape! I just went bearing mental!

John

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring 2017 "Unknown"
Ducati ST4S 2002 "Bitch"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I think he means the bearings for the belt tensioning rollers, not the pulley bearings.

At 15K, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to do PM, think maybe 35-50K miles. OTOH, it'd be good to have some spares laying around.

Regards,

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

That's a good idea to have some spares laying around. So when changing the belts the only bearings you can replace without taking the engine apart are the fixed and eccentric bearings which consist of four total bearings with part number sfk 61904-2RS?

Thanks for all the help.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST$S View Post
That's a good idea to have some spares laying around. So when changing the belts the only bearings you can replace without taking the engine apart are the fixed and eccentric bearings which consist of four total bearings with part number sfk 61904-2RS?

Thanks for all the help.
If you're thinking along the lines of spares, I'd recommend you get spare belt roller bolts, as they are special bolts with shear heads to avoid pulling the threads in the jugs, and they can shear off after repated use even if working within the torque range, 25 lbs ft IIRC.

Regards,

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Mr Leakered

Garage
Yep, but the cam bearings hardly entail taking the engine apart, esp if you're checking the valve clearences. I'm just saying this because you're in for a VERY fun time getting the vert fixed pulley off. I had to grind down one of my favorite long allen wrenches just to fit the fastener, then you can only rotate it a bit at a time. If you want a final dimension, please let me know.

Torquing the vert eccentric stud is a bit of fun also. Be careful with that special stud and the amount of torque you use as it threads into the head.

Dropping the motor would entail much more work, but . . .

Have a good one.

tony b
2001 ST4 - Thumper
2013 Ural GearUp (sold)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2013, 1:33 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST$S View Post
fixed and eccentric bearings which consist of four total bearings with part number sfk 61904-2RS?
On thd st4 all 4 bearings are the same. On the st4s they are not the same. I remember the fixed pully having the bearing you listed, but the eccentric had one that was smaller. Don't know if it effects all bikes, but that was the case with my 2003. I ended up not replacing the differnt bearings. They didn't need it anyway @ 36K miles. If you look at the st4s parts fiche, the bearings do not have the same PN, where they do for the 916/ST4.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode